Bike riding boots - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot!

Bike riding boots

Just wondering what others wear when riding? Be it local, or touring across the country. Tell me what you wear, and what are so good about them?
I'm looking for ideas, because I'm on the hunt for a new pair of riding boots, as mine are worn out. For the last 5 years, or so, I've just been wearing a pair of riding shoes, which are not much more than glorified basketball boots. Comfortable as heck, but not a lot of protection in a crash, and not very waterproof. Before that, I used to just wear, elastic sided work boots, which were neither comfortable, or very weather proof.

I'm looking for something, which ideally fills all 3 of those criteria ( i.e. comfort, crash protection, and weather protection). I don't like johnny reb style, or anything for that matter, with buckles, rings or straps, and a side zip would be great, but not absolutely necessary. You seem to have more options over there in the USA, than we do here down under, with oodles of kinds of hunting boots, western boots, and others readily available that we don't. I'm happy to have a pair shipped to Oz if I find the right pair. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:32 AM

Garage
I have a pair of the HD Lynx boots. Comfortable, waterproof, plain. Went down in them once and they stood up like a champ, just needed some shoe polish wax to make them look good as new. HD doesn't sell them on the website anymore, but here's a link to them on Amazon.

I'll probably pick up a new pair of boots in a year or so. Might go with some MIL-Spec Jump Boots if I can find some for a decent price. Miss not having access to a PX/clothing sales close by anymore....
HoundDogFXR likes this.

2019 HD Iron 883 Rugged Gold Denim - "Luna"
2019 HD Iron 883 Wicked Red - "Scarlett" - RIP, totaled 10/20/18

US Army Veteran
Thank you to all that have, are, and will serve, both Military and Civil.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 AM

Garage
Ironically, I'm looking at new boots myself right now, but I'll be sticking with the standard Logging Boot style that I usually get. The 2" heel and thick ass sole help me get a good foot plant at stop lights and whatever with my Jockey sized stance, lol. I bought a pair from HD last time but had to get all of the Speed Rings replaced on them at a boot repair shop after 3 of them had broken off. I'm leaning towards Timberland or Chippewa this time in hopes of a longer wear life. Always boots though........ never sneakers, flip-flops, or shoes for me.

"Life long student at the School of Hard Knocks!"

2014 Street Glide Special
2003 Road King 100 Anniversary

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Garage
I wear black Timberland work boots. The only issue is that i can't get them under the toe shifter to up shift, so i have to use the heel shifter. A lot of people wont agree with sneakers, but i usually ride with all black high top Vans which are very comfortable.
zeero and HoundDogFXR like this.

2019 Road King Special
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
The only issue is that i can't get them under the toe shifter to up shift, so i have to use the heel shifter.
Why don't you just adjust your toe shifter height? Either by changing where the splines on your shifter shaft mesh or most shifter linkage rods have adjustable rod ends on them.
HoundDogFXR and Cyureus like this.

"Life long student at the School of Hard Knocks!"

2014 Street Glide Special
2003 Road King 100 Anniversary
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJockey View Post
Why don't you just adjust your toe shifter height? Either by changing where the splines on your shifter shaft mesh or most shifter linkage rods have adjustable rod ends on them.
I was thinking about adjusting the shift linkage, but just used the heel shifter. My sneakers get under there fine, so i didn't care much.

2019 Road King Special
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Head Deplorable

Garage
I just wear my work boots. Red Wing steel toes. None of that imitation Chinese "composite toe" crap either.

They're comfortable enough to work in all day, they're comfortable enough to ride in.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:42 PM
weird member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oil Okie View Post
I just wear my work boots. Red Wing steel toes. None of that imitation Chinese "composite toe" crap either.

They're comfortable enough to work in all day, they're comfortable enough to ride in.
Although I wear Harley boots on the bike (specifically the now discontinued "Thurmond" style), I would second Red Wings. Great boots, used them a lot when I was doing labor jobs.

The great thing about Red Wings, is that their fitment is spot on and they've got a boot that can match any criteria you have.

Like, I have a wide foot (EEE, which does often swell to as much as almost a EEEE). Standard shoe width for men is a D. Most boots that actually make what they call a wide, is usually just an E. Red Wing actually makes multiple widths. Another issue with other boots is that they assume, if you wear a wide, that you're also fat and so, they often don't fit at the ankle right or you gotta pull the laces super tight and look like a dork. Red Wings don't make that assumption, so if you have a wide foot but you're also average size or skinny (like me), they'll fit perfect.

Red Wings are work boots, and you can get oil/slip resistance, waterproof, electrical, steel toe, etc. They're super comfortable and last forever. I have a pair of their "Irish Setters" and have stood ankle deep in water and come up bone dry despite one of them having a hole in the outside toe part (the hole is just on the outer layer).

I've never worn a more comfortable and better fitting boot than a pair of Red Wings.

That's actually probably what I will get next when I wear out these boots.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
+1 on the Red Wing Boots . . . made in the great State of Minnesota - Red Wing, Minnesota.

Leather Motorcycle Boots - Red Wing Shoes

The store in Red Wing, Minnesota has a giant work boot in their main lobby area. Cool town to visit if you're ever in Minnesota - right along the Mississippi River and a beautiful ride on both the Minnesota and Wisconsin side of the Mississippi too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Wing Boot.PNG
Views:	30
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	757417  

sardonicus87 and HoundDogFXR like this.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:34 PM
weird member

Garage
Wait, what the hell? Red Wing used to have an online store, what happened to it? The nearest store to me is 6 hours (round-trip) away. I don't want to go all the way up there for them to not have what I want and have to order it if they won't ship to my house.
HoundDogFXR likes this.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode