Oh My! The wife got her M/C endorsement today - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh My! The wife got her M/C endorsement today

Oh My! The wife got her M/C endorsement today
So I guess we will be shopping for another bike, in the very near future.

The only street bike she's ridden was the Street 500, during the B.R.C. at Riverside H.D.
She has a very long history on MX bikes. Way back from the late 1970's. She raced a lot! Up through the y2k's. She has not ridden dirt bikes in since the mid 2k's. 250 two stroke, was the largest bike she has ridden off road.

Bottom line, She's a Newbie!

She enjoyed the Harley 500 very much and now she wants one. I keep trying to talk her into something a bit larger like the Street 750 or a Sporty. She thinks they are all too heavy. I can not get through to her that a "Heavy" bike is not heavy once its rolling. My concern with the 500 is; will it get blown all over the roadway when encountering a semi truck?

She is looking for a weekend toy to ride with us, mostly 1 or 200 mile round trip rides. Then throw in an occasional 500 mile-er (overnight rides) say to Nor Cal or Utah from So Cal. We are not spring chickens anymore!

I figure that the folks on this forum are the "real experts" without having a financial interest from the sales end.
Your thoughts please.
gtrman66 likes this.

Scott
2014 Ultra Classic
All LED lighting otherwise bone stock.
K-I-S-S Keepin' It Simple Stupid.
USMC veteran.

Drinking and riding is fine ... just don't do it in that order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Congrats...... enjoy Mrs. 1/1000 ton..... Street Glide or Softail Deluxe would be good options.
TaxmanHog, scspartan and 1/2 Ton like this.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Its not the cost of the bike, it’s the bling she’ll buy....
JPR, sardonicus87, priell3 and 2 others like this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 PM

If she feels comfortable/safe on the 500 then I would say that is what she should start with.
If you push her into something SHE feels she is not ready for,she will be nervous/scared every time she rides.
That is not good for her or anyone around her.
I suggest letting her be the one to decide.
Just my opinion and other's opinions may vary.
sardonicus87, priell3 and 1/2 Ton like this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdharley50 View Post
Its not the cost of the bike, its the bling shell buy....
Aint that the TRUTH!
rapier57 and English triker like this.

Scott
2014 Ultra Classic
USMC veteran.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoo View Post
If she feels comfortable/safe on the 500 then I would say that is what she should start with.
If you push her into something SHE feels she is not ready for,she will be nervous/scared every time she rides.
That is not good for her or anyone around her.
I suggest letting her be the one to decide.
Just my opinion and other's opinions may vary.
I certainly agree that the final decision will be hers alone. She will be the one on the saddle. Rest assured, I will take an occasional run on it. But it will be HER bike. My fear is that she will may pick a bike that will "wind whip" her to the point of not enjoying the ride. (I have known that feeling). As stated: We're not spring chickens anymore.
I certainly would not want to take a touring ride on a 500. Maybe 30 years ago...Na, nope. I rode a Yamaha 650 twin round trip from MCAS El Toro to NAS Lemore, when i was 21. It was easy to part ways with that bike afterwards. There is no fatigue like wind fatigue.

Our goal is to ride together, which she will abstain from, if not comfortable.
BigDoo likes this.

Scott
2014 Ultra Classic
USMC veteran.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Ton View Post
I certainly agree that the final decision will be hers alone. She will be the one on the saddle. Rest assured, I will take an occasional run on it. But it will be HER bike. My fear is that she will may pick a bike that will "wind whip" her to the point of not enjoying the ride. (I have known that feeling). As stated: We're not spring chickens anymore.
I certainly would not want to take a touring ride on a 500. Maybe 30 years ago...Na, nope. I rode a Yamaha 650 twin round trip from MCAS El Toro to NAS Lemore, when i was 21. It was easy to part ways with that bike afterwards. There is no fatigue like wind fatigue.

Our goal is to ride together, which she will abstain from, if not comfortable.
Get her what she wants , when she realizes she can't keep up and has to get gas more often , she will want something bigger.....let it be her idea, she'll tell you when she wants more power.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman1340 View Post
Get her what she wants , when she realizes she can't keep up and has to get gas more often , she will want something bigger.....let it be her idea, she'll tell you when she wants more power.
Just went through that with her car: We had two Honda CRV's in a row. (I wrecked one, our son wrecked the other). She pleaded and pleaded for a Honda FIT. One month later she says "it's to little, should have got a CRV." One MONTH!

Bro' I'm not a dealer!
JLR likes this.

Scott
2014 Ultra Classic
USMC veteran.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 PM
weird member

Garage
When you suggested the street 750, she was afraid of weight?

According to the Harley website, the 500 and 750 both weigh exactly the same: 514 lbs (in running order). So, the 750 is literally no heavier than the 500. Now, the Street Rod is slightly more at 525 lbs, but it's also got a different wheelbase and seat height, so it probably wouldn't feel exactly like the 500 she liked.

I would also probably not recommend a Sportster to someone that likes the Street series. I talked to a guy that rode both and he said the Street 750 has a lower center of gravity than the Sportster. But, that's also just one guy. I've never ridden a Street series bike, so I couldn't say and I haven't heard of anyone else that's even ridden that one, let alone both that and the Sportster to give an opinion on the two. I do know some people are uncomfortable on the Sportster or are more comfortable on a big twin due to the change in the center of gravity.

But, everyone's different. Some like the feel of a Sportster or higher center of gravity bike more than other stuff. Not necessarily saying the Sportster is a bad recommendation. Also, apparently the Iron 1200 even has a smaller gas tank than the 750. Also, the 750 has an estimated 55 mpg and the Iron 1200 has an estimated 48 mpg. So as far as distance, it actually looks like the Street series is better than the Sportsters. The 883 has the same specs as the 1200 but with slightly better estimated mileage at 51 mpg. So, the Sportster is not going to go as far, it looks like.

This is all from Harley's website.

Since she's brand new, comfort is paramount and if, regardless of hard facts on paper, she still feels like the 750 would weigh more than the 500... just let that one go.

When she's ready, she'll move up. Sure, it will cost more money, but if she pushes too early for something she isn't comfortable with and gives up riding altogether, it would be an even bigger waste of money.

Anyway, congrats on her getting her endorsement.
1/2 Ton likes this.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 PM

You need to get what she is comfortable with, period. She may want a bigger bike in two weeks or never. If you push her to something she is uncomfortable with you will both regret it. Just an old man's thoughts. It doesn't have to be a Harley, it's hers!! joe
1/2 Ton likes this.

No extra charge for spelling or grammatical errors. joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode