Tips for selling bike - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Ambassador

Garage
Tips for selling bike

I've enjoyed my 2015 Wide Glide but looking at a Road King. Any advice as to price mine NADA? with options and do you use Craigslist.
slingshot383 and BigDoo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Guitar NOT Gator

To get ballpark pricing, I use KBB, NADA, craigslist and cycle trader. The truth is in there, you just need to look at the values with some common sense. I also look at ebay completed sales, but expect that to be somewhat low.

If I were selling, I would lean towards Facebook marketplace. I got my shovel and my Dyna EVO from there. You can see the seller's profile and location map so you know it is a "real" person versus all the crap on craigslist these days.

You might also check with local dealers and independents about selling it. You will have to pay commission, but your bike will be much more visible to target buyers and there is the chance they would offer a buyer financing, which you likely cannot.

Good luck, the RK's are really great comfy bikes.

2016 Ultra Limited
2004 Softail Springer
1993 Dyna Low Rider
1983 FLHT

200,000 HOG Miles
IBA Member since 3/31/12
Proud member of the NTC (North Texas Crew)

http://www.ravenswaymusic.com - the new band!
http://www.doolinband.com - the old band!

Dr. Rick "Superman" Doolin 1970-2014. Miss you bro.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 AM

I agree with gtrman66.
Let me add 2 other sources.

1) Finance companies,banks and credit unions.
Call and ask what amount they would loan on a comparable motorcycle.
This helps because a lot of potential buyers do not have the cash that would cover the purchase price listed by the seller.
They have to finance all or a portion of it.
This will help you as a seller because it gives you a realistic price range that they follow.

2) Ask HD riding buddies that are in the know about what actual selling prices for Harleys in and around your area. (if you have any)
Several of my HD riding buddies stay current on HDs for sale.
Two of my friends were a big help to me.
My situation was different because I was riding Hondas for 20 years and had no clue about HDs selling prices.

I will say that I myself paid more than NADA or KBB said my Road King Classic was worth.
Reason being neither had a place to state millage,options,etc. for an older model.
They were just stating averages for my area.
My RKC was and is in pristine condition.
It was worth the extra money to me to get what I was looking for that was in such amazing shape.

The following is the best advice I can give you...

Try to keep emotions out of your deciding your asking price.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Ambassador

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoo View Post
When you say "looking at a Road King" are you talking about one at a dealer?
No, I should have said "will be in the hunt for one"
slingshot383 and BigDoo like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:28 AM

As someone who used to work for a H-D dealership, all the extras you have put on it (assuming you have) like chrome parts and other accessories, expect to get nothing for those. We always suggested to customers to take those off and sell the bike as close to stock as you can. All those add-ons are to make the bike the way you want it. Then, when selling, it puts you in a box to find that person that has your taste.

I keep all my take off parts to put back on when and if I decide to sell a bike. Craigslist is good, as you can tell the real sellers from the fakes pretty easily. Facebook marketplace and eBay as well.

Dont take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:19 PM

All good advice. Let me add that I wasn't on Facebook but I have both bought and sold a bike off of Craigslist. The ad is free, you can take some pics and have your ad up and running in 15 minutes or less. OK, you might have to deal with a couple of idiots who call, maybe a scammer wanting to send you a certified check and get the bike shipped right away. No big deal.

Also, Craigslist says "one ad in one location". But...., sometimes when I'm bored and just surfing the net I look at CL ads not only here in Louisville but in other cities and lots of times I have seen the same bike ad in more than one city. Seems like if you just alter your ad headline a bit the CL software won't pick it up as already being listed somewhere and next time I place a bike ad on CL I'm gonna list it in several different not too far away cities.
slingshot383 and 421Tripower like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:29 PM
Proud Infidel

I've looked at Farcebook and Craigslist. The market around here is flooded with bikes. Most are asking well below NADA and still not moving.

Sent from here to there.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
I've looked at Farcebook and Craigslist. The market around here is flooded with bikes. Most are asking well below NADA and still not moving.

Sent from here to there.
Here is the exact opposite.
They are selling above NADA.
I see them then a week or so later they are gone.
Unless they are the ones that are not realistic in price.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post

Sent from here to there.
Two years ago when I bought a '16 RGU off CL and listed my '13 RGC for sale on CL I got a call maybe the 2nd day my ad was up. Guy came over and looked at it, started it, etc. He didn't want to ride it cause he had never ridden anything except dirt bikes long ago. I told him I would take him for a ride if he wanted but he said that wasn't necessary. So I made him a copy of my Title he wanted for his Credit Union and he was off. Called me the next day, his CR gave him a thumbs up on a loan. But I didn't hear from him in a week. Playing games? Still looking for a bike? So I called him and he said he was waiting on his CR. OK. Anyway, in a few more days he and his neighbor, who rides a RG, came with a trailer (they were about 50 or so miles away in IN) and CR certified check and everything was good. And he never even asked if I would take less than my asking price of $14,500. ???

Anyway, until he picked up the bike I left the CL ad running so it was up 10-12 days and I never got another call about the bike. Like they say, it only takes one.
slingshot383 likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Guitar NOT Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theja15 View Post
As someone who used to work for a H-D dealership, all the extras you have put on it (assuming you have) like chrome parts and other accessories, expect to get nothing for those. We always suggested to customers to take those off and sell the bike as close to stock as you can. All those add-ons are to make the bike the way you want it. Then, when selling, it puts you in a box to find that person that has your taste.

I keep all my take off parts to put back on when and if I decide to sell a bike.
true. When I sold my V-Rod, I took off all the extras, went back bone stock. Wound up selling the lot of it to the new owner for $1500. I would not have gotten any more had they still been on the bike.

2016 Ultra Limited
2004 Softail Springer
1993 Dyna Low Rider
1983 FLHT

200,000 HOG Miles
IBA Member since 3/31/12
Proud member of the NTC (North Texas Crew)

http://www.ravenswaymusic.com - the new band!
http://www.doolinband.com - the old band!

Dr. Rick "Superman" Doolin 1970-2014. Miss you bro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode