Low back pain on cruiser. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Low back pain on cruiser.

Hello, have had my first Harley (19 sport glide) for about a month now. Unfortunately I get low back pain fairly quickly when on it. I'm talking like 20min. I'm in decent shape, 34yrs old former collegiate athlete still workout regularly with a few lingering back pains but nothing major. I come from sportbikes and still currently ride a panigale it's never an issue.

Love the sport glide but sadly when I'm on it at times I can't wait to get off. I read that the feet forward position places extra weight on the spine which can cause it but I used to own a boulevard m90 for a little while and didn't have this issue. Question is what should I look at first to modify to help with this, seat, handlebars, foot positioning? I try to focus on posture as well but it doesn't seem to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM
Mississippi Cajun

I have recently encountered the low back pain thing, but I managed to overcome most of it by wearing a back support brace. Available at Wally World or most sporting goods places. The forward controls may be having and effect, but having little experience with them, I can't really give you anything useful. BTW, I also have a back rest on my Ultra that helps a lot for all day riding.
slingshot383 and priell3 like this.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Garage
Now you know why so many bikers in those old pictures are wearing kidney belts.

2015 Ultra Limited, 103 Stage IV kit, Screamin Eagle intake and exhaust system, Memphis Shades 8.5" windscreen, Grasshopper drivers backrest, Kuryakyn highway pegs, lower triple tree air deflector,

Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyE View Post
Hello, have had my first Harley (19 sport glide) for about a month now. Unfortunately I get low back pain fairly quickly when on it. I'm talking like 20min. I'm in decent shape, 34yrs old former collegiate athlete still workout regularly with a few lingering back pains but nothing major. I come from sportbikes and still currently ride a panigale it's never an issue.

Love the sport glide but sadly when I'm on it at times I can't wait to get off. I read that the feet forward position places extra weight on the spine which can cause it but I used to own a boulevard m90 for a little while and didn't have this issue. Question is what should I look at first to modify to help with this, seat, handlebars, foot positioning? I try to focus on posture as well but it doesn't seem to help.
If you sit on your wallet (hip pocket) , it is shifting your hips/ spine out of alignment. And with forward controls on your bike ,every bump you hit in the road is transferred from the road to your butt, then your lower back, your feet and legs can do little to soften the impact like you could if you had floor boards.
scol, JPR and slingshot383 like this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Yea I never hold anything in my back pockets. I will start with a back brace before dropping $400 on a seat. Do floorboards make a difference?
slingshot383 likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:51 PM

A backrest is wonderful. Your HD may let you tryout new seats. See if you find one you like.
slingshot383 likes this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:19 PM
weird member

Garage
Don't worry about the bars yet. Find somewhere (since it's a 2019, start with a Harley Dealer) and see if there's some seats for yours you can try. Find one that when you sit on it, it naturally puts your lower half in a comfortable position (where you don't have to focus on maintaining posture, it naturally puts you in a comfortable one).

Then, find handlebars that are comfortable after you square the seat away. You can't really judge what bars are comfortable until after you know where and how you'll be sitting.
slingshot383 likes this.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:35 PM

Second vase for a backrest. Worked for me.
slingshot383 likes this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:54 PM

I can relate to low back pain--I have bulging and/or herniated discs. Try to sleep on my side at night. If I sleep on my back when I get up it really hurts and I can't stand straight up, walk around like a crippled guy for maybe 30-40 minutes.

But, strange as it may seem, unless it is one of those times I maybe strained my back a little and have light/moderate pain for several days or a week, riding doesn't really hurt my back. Even all day rides.

Not long ago I put a backrest on. But not one of those expensive HD backrests where ya gotta buy the really expensive mounting kit for it. I bought a "Grasshopper" brand backrest. It is not adjustable. They make backrests for about all HD bikes. And the really simplified mounting kit comes with the backrest. And you can mount it in maybe 5 minutes, don't know why Harley couldn't come up with something simple and cheap like Grasshopper did. You can get the whole kit for about $85. And if you want to remove it just pull it off but, so far since I put mine on, I have no reason to take it off. And IT DOES make my back feel better after being out several hours. Here is a Grasshopper link:

Harley Davidson - GRASSHOPPER LIMITED
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 PM

Depending on how tall you are. Forward controls and bars causing you bend in middle. I sat on one and felt right at home being 6'. Bending forward puts a strain on lower back. Doesn't take much pressure to damage lower back. Orthopedic doc said less 30# put immense pressure there. Leverage at work. Try backing off the preload on rear suspension.
slingshot383 likes this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode