• 2 Post By Breeze3at
  • 1 Post By Jack Oliver
  • 1 Post By Convince Me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
JaxKing

Garage
Sell My Truck?

My wife and I have a 2016 Explorer, 2011 Tundra, and now my Road King (FLHR). I'm contemplating downsizing and selling my truck (over 110,00 miles on it). We are both retired and really don't have a need for both the Explorer and Tundra. We live in an apt and probably won't move or need to haul anything and if we do, I can rent or borrow a truck. Where I live generally does not have a bad winter at all - last year we had snow for a couple of days and it quickly melted. I'm thinking that if we need to go different directions, I can ride my bike and leave her the Explorer. If the weather turns bad and since I'm retired, I can reschedule whatever it is.

Also, if I do this, possibly upgrading my bike to a Glide with full tour package, fairing, heated grips, etc...

Has anyone done this? Opinions?
jpassh2o likes this.

Jack Oliver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
For many years my wife and I had one cage and one bike. She didn't work so I was more than happy to ride to work and leave her the cage. On bad weather days I would cage it and if she had something she had to do she would just reschedule. But we did live in Southern California so bad weather days were few. Now that I am retired we have 1 car, 1 pickup and 1 bike. Yeah, not sure I get it either.
Jack Oliver likes this.

Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:43 AM

It makes sense. Vehicles that sit turn to $hit.
sardonicus87 likes this.

When life throws you a curve....lean into it.

'12 FLHTK
Stage 1 air filter
V&H power duals/slip ons
T Mann 555 cams
Dyno Tune 97HP/112Tq

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:27 PM
weird member

Garage
I live in the South, so I can ride all year, and I am also "involuntarily retired", but since I'm only 32, that means being a house husband. My wife works.

Most of the time, I don't need a car for any errands I would have to run. But we definitely need two vehicles. Her car and my bike is fine. I also have her old car and it's on its last legs, and before my bike was down (for upgrades), I practically never used the old car. It's not worth selling though, it has over 300,000 miles, A/C doesn't work anymore, etc. Once it dies, it's going in the junk yard.

I'd say, sell the truck. And if you needed a third vehicle just in case the bike was down for some reason, could always get a second bike (would be a lot less expensive to maintain tag and insurance compared to a car).

Besides, if you hardly ever use the truck anyway, no point in paying for the insurance and tags just to have it sitting around "just in case", since you could easily borrow or rent a truck.
Jack Oliver likes this.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
JaxKing

Garage
Not sure how you or she stand that car in the summer with no AC. I was stationed in New Orleans for 5 years and Mobile for 3 years plus growing up in west Texas and now Lubbock. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I sure wouldn't want to go thru the summer heat without an air conditioner. We hit 109 here this summer.

If I do decide to sell the truck (which I'm leaning toward), I want to upgrade my bike to make it more "all weather" with full fairing, heated grips, etc... You're definitely right about saving money too.

Today was the first day I'd driven my truck in a couple of weeks. Took it Sams, grocery store, and car wash just to keep the tires round.
sardonicus87 likes this.

Jack Oliver
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Road Junkie

Garage
My wife and I have been talking about doing the very same thing.

As for upgrading your bike, I would go through one year with what you've got before making the switch, especially if it's mainly day travel. If you're planning to start doing multi-day trips, the fairing and tourpak will definitely make the trip more comfortable.
Jack Oliver likes this.

Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra (Dusty)
www.twistedrides.us
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:30 PM
weird member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Oliver View Post
Not sure how you or she stand that car in the summer with no AC. I was stationed in New Orleans for 5 years and Mobile for 3 years plus growing up in west Texas and now Lubbock. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I sure wouldn't want to go thru the summer heat without an air conditioner. We hit 109 here this summer.

If I do decide to sell the truck (which I'm leaning toward), I want to upgrade my bike to make it more "all weather" with full fairing, heated grips, etc... You're definitely right about saving money too.

Today was the first day I'd driven my truck in a couple of weeks. Took it Sams, grocery store, and car wash just to keep the tires round.
Yeah, it's miserable, much cooler on the bike actually and in a car with no A/C.

It's funny, two weekends ago or something, I was in the New Mexico desert and it was much more bearable than here. Temperature was 5-10 cooler during the day in what is basically the desert than it is here, practically no humidity so 90 was just 90, and the nights were about 10-20 cooler than here. I see desert people talk about "it was 105 today, too hot". Yeah? It was 105 here too, but with the humidity, the heat index was 118.

I'd take that desert weather over this jungle weather any day. Plus, out there, going in the shade actually was cooler, and when you sweat, it evaporated so it actually did it's job to cool you off. Here, sweat doesn't evaporate, it just gives you swamp ass.
Jack Oliver likes this.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:07 AM

Garage
Since I retired 10 yrs. ago, I've put about 5,000 miles on my truck. Mostly to Home Depot and back.
We use the wife's SUV for everything else. Being a homeowner, I feel i need the truck. If I lived in an apartment, it would go. Also on the apartment thing, I would have serious reservations about getting a new(er) nice bike if I didn't have secure parking for it. Gosh, it must be nice to not have home repairs, maint. and yard work to do.
sardonicus87 and Jack Oliver like this.

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
JaxKing

Garage
I do have a garage here - of course it's a little bit extra. Initially it was for extra "stuff", but I cleaned some "stuff" out and made room for my bike. As far as security, we are in a gated complex. Gates are open during the day, but between 7pm and 7am, you need a code to get in. You're right, no maintenance or yard work or worrying about something breaking is GREAT!
Breeze3at likes this.

Jack Oliver
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:02 AM
2004 Ultra Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonicus87 View Post
Yeah, it's miserable, much cooler on the bike actually and in a car with no A/C.

It's funny, two weekends ago or something, I was in the New Mexico desert and it was much more bearable than here. Temperature was 5-10 cooler during the day in what is basically the desert than it is here, practically no humidity so 90 was just 90, and the nights were about 10-20 cooler than here. I see desert people talk about "it was 105 today, too hot". Yeah? It was 105 here too, but with the humidity, the heat index was 118.

I'd take that desert weather over this jungle weather any day. Plus, out there, going in the shade actually was cooler, and when you sweat, it evaporated so it actually did it's job to cool you off. Here, sweat doesn't evaporate, it just gives you swamp ass.
Yep a cage with no AC is tough I know I have lived and worked outside in the Vegas Valley for 38 years. But I tell you I had to insulate attics at an apartment complex in Memphis TN. It was 99 degrees and 99% humidity. Absolutely the most miserable heat I ever endured. Also I was a mason tender for 5 years in MI. and the summers were hot enough there. I still to this day do not understand why when it is humid the mortar would harden faster?
sardonicus87 likes this.

"A man will rust before he wears out". Colonel Harland Sanders

"You can shear a sheep many times. You can skin it only once". Amarillo Slim AKA Thomas Austin Preston Jr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode