THinking of selling my bike... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Call me Gig.

Garage
THinking of selling my bike...

For the last year or so it just hasn't been as fun as it used to be. It is to hot out and there are way too many cagers out there trying to kill me. Of the last 5 rides I've been on I've had to make pretty significant defensive moves on four of them.

I think I'm going to buy a Corvette.

1979 to 1981 Yamaha 200
1976 to 1979 Suzuki 185
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:36 PM
weird member

Garage
Hey man, I get it.

Tratfic is steady getting worse where I live and I often complain to my wife about how annoying it is, that I am enjoying less and less of my rides because I am too busy watching out for idiots to actually enjoy my ride. Though, at least the city is trying to step up a little, just saw a lighted road-construction type sign the other day on one of the main highways into town that read "regional traffic, avoid delays, use the bypass" (way too many people just pass right through the center of town and badly bottleneck stuff). They're also installing those interstate type signs that are big and green and tell you which way to go, trying to get more people that are just passing through to actually use the bypass rather than the business highway.

Personally, I could never give up riding, at least not now (though I don't think ever, even 40 years from now if I live as long). But I do get it. I'd rather bomb the world and plunge everything into chaos, deplete the population by 75% and have a post-apocalyltic, Mad Max type anarchy just so I could have some riding freedom. Say what you want about the apocalypse, but in all the movies... traffic is never an issue. Plus, bad ass tire armor.

No matter how bad traffic gets here, I can always find places and times to ride where I can enjoy my ride though. When Auburn and Alabama (college football) play each other, the streets are deader than Sunday morning during church service hours. You'd swear this place was a ghost town. Speaking of, Sundays between 9 am and 1 pm, streets are pretty dead. There's also back roads that aren't too bad as far as traffic is concerned.

If you really enjoy riding, I'd personally try to find places and times to ride before giving up the bike, but it's your call.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrgiacona View Post
For the last year or so it just hasn't been as fun as it used to be. It is to hot out and there are way too many cagers out there trying to kill me. Of the last 5 rides I've been on I've had to make pretty significant defensive moves on four of them.

Hope ya get top dollar for the bike..... I know around here they have Corvette clubs..... they wear funny lookin hats though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	761833  

marshmallow likes this.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:45 PM
red sport.

Thinking of selling my bike

Well I got mine up for sale (Sportster) I'm not giving up riding, I'm almost 84 I've dropped it 3 times in parking lots & ever time I got hurt so, I got me a Free Wheeler should have got one long ago. Traffic seems to notice me more, have a black Modular Helmet want a white one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	761843  

Last edited by red sport.; 09-23-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: for got to click instant email. now i can't.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 PM

If I had to ride regularly in moderate to heavy traffic I wouldn't be riding much. Fortunately, we live on the NE edge of the Louisville metro area and I can take a couple of the not usually too heavily traveled 2 lane roads and in less than 15 minutes I am in an adjacent semi rural county with pretty good riding choices. My after dinner rides into the next county(s) are my most enjoyable local rides. Lots of twisties, some really narrow barely 1 lane roads, some really long straightaways with hardly a side street or driveway entrance suitable for some WOT running, shady roadways along the river, couple of places to grab a coffee or a tea, friendly folks everywhere, etc., etc. Did I mention all the wildlife I see on those rides into the semi rural counties? Fuking deer all over the place! Even with all the deer those forays beat the hell out of riding traffic light to traffic light always wondering if the cage behind you will stop in time. If I lived in a congested area and didn't have reasonably quick access to decent riding areas I might not be riding at all.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
If I had to ride regularly in moderate to heavy traffic I wouldn't be riding much. Fortunately, we live on the NE edge of the Louisville metro area and I can take a couple of the not usually too heavily traveled 2 lane roads and in less than 15 minutes I am in an adjacent semi rural county with pretty good riding choices. My after dinner rides into the next county(s) are my most enjoyable local rides. Lots of twisties, some really narrow barely 1 lane roads, some really long straightaways with hardly a side street or driveway entrance suitable for some WOT running, shady roadways along the river, couple of places to grab a coffee or a tea, friendly folks everywhere, etc., etc. Did I mention all the wildlife I see on those rides into the semi rural counties? Fuking deer all over the place! Even with all the deer those forays beat the hell out of riding traffic light to traffic light always wondering if the cage behind you will stop in time. If I lived in a congested area and didn't have reasonably quick access to decent riding areas I might not be riding at all.
I live in the DC metro area. It takes me an hour to go 18 miles to work, and it's literally all but half a mile or so on 1 road. The thing a about riding here is I'm hyper aware when I ride. I know what a car is going to do before they do it. There's a lot of country roads near me too so I try to get in a nice relaxing ride about once a week at least. Makes it worth it I think

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Central joe likes this.

2011 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - LS650 (Traded)
2013 Iron 883 - XL883N (Traded)
2018 Sport Glide - FLSB
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 PM
luv the low country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrgiacona View Post

I know exactly where you are coming from, brother. Give it a little more time to think long and hard before you let'er go. I sold my King back in February or March of this year and wish I still had her. As with you, I got board of riding within a 100 mile radius from here, the population along with the traffic is booming in the MB metro area, and long distance multi-state traveling on the scoot isn't in my future.

However, as they say, timing is everything. Soon after I sold the bike my doberman tore his ACL and $4400 of bike money went to the Vet bill. On top of this, I recently had an accident at work and had a complete tear of my right rotator cuff which will require a shoulder replacement.

So in my situation, the sale of the bike was met to be. Maybe not so for you. If you have no pressing need for money, your bike is in no need of updating or major repair, and you are physically able to ride more years, I'd keep the bike. I'll agree, Corvettes are nice, but their insurance premiums aren't.

If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under. Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scspartan View Post
I know exactly where you are coming from, brother. Give it a little more time to think long and hard before you let'er go. I sold my King back in February or March of this year and wish I still had her. As with you, I got board of riding within a 100 mile radius from here, the population along with the traffic is booming in the MB metro area, and long distance multi-state traveling on the scoot isn't in my future.

However, as they say, timing is everything. Soon after I sold the bike my doberman tore his ACL and $4400 of bike money went to the Vet bill. On top of this, I recently had an accident at work and had a complete tear of my right rotator cuff which will require a shoulder replacement.

So in my situation, the sale of the bike was met to be. Maybe not so for you. If you have no pressing need for money, your bike is in no need of updating or major repair, and you are physically able to ride more years, I'd keep the bike. I'll agree, Corvettes are nice, but their insurance premiums aren't.
Hey..... we offered to take you here...... Good ridin part of the year anyway!
scspartan and Central joe like this.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:20 AM
Trashy Member

We sold our bikes over two years ago. Even though we can be out in the country pretty quick we still had way to many close calls with human and critters alike. I was always a car guy too so going to a Camaro convertible was easy. Of all the people we rode with almost all of them have convertibles now and have sold their bikes.

Bunch of bikes all sold
Who knows what is next!
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Hit it she goes boom

I guess that day arrives for all of us or our widows. This summer has been horrible for me, lotta life stuff happening. Sold a car I have owned for over 45 years, bike... no way. Haven't done much riding but as long as I can pick a road and get lost I will own it till I'm physically not able. Do what you feel is best, your the only one walking in those boots.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."--- Elwood Blues

"What does not kill you makes you stronger..... except for bears, bears will kill you."

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"--- Some guy in a bar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode