Did you pick your Harley or did she pick you? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Did you pick your Harley or did she pick you?

This kinda started in another thread so I thought it woul make a good thread of its own.

I have always wanted a HD growing up near York PA and having several friends work for them and of course ride them. Something always came up when I was thinking about getting one.
Two of my friends just bought a couple of sportys so I stopped by the shop to look at them. I decided to sit on a few bikes about the fourth one I sat on was my Dyna it fit me like a glove. I decided to check out some other dealerships even though I WAS NOT looking for a bike. I sat on about 50 bikes but none fit like that fourth one I sat on.( I am slightly vertically challenged) So about 4 days after siting on her I called the dealer to place a hold on her but he told me someone already had a hold. Oops they did not put any $ on the hold so I did and bought her that weekend. That was last month so now I am just not so patiently waiting for spring. The funny thing is that I wanted a blacked out bike I am not really into chrome but with all the other bikes I have looked at none felt right. So although she is not the bike I would have picked I really think the bike chose me.

Cheers Dan
2003 Dyna Low Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Jar Head

I can relate. I always wanted a Road King. God I love the look of that bike. I had been after the wife for 10 years to get a Harley. When I retired from the Marines she finally agreed. Her only stipulation was that it be blue or silver. So I went to the dealership knowing already what I was going to get. I sat on the RK and asked the sales guy if he had it in blue. He said no and asked me about the Street Glide sitting next to me. I sat on it and I felt like I just cheated on my wife. All I wanted was the RK. It's all I ever dreamed about. The Street Glide and I have been married for about 3 months now.....

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you F#*K with me, I will kill you all.
General James Mattis, USMC
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
What?

I was 80 percent sure what I wanted, I sat on the bike and quickly realized the mini apes had to be trashed. Then it changed to a 100 percent. But I made my wife happy and waited eight whole months before I completely tore apart my bike...... Now I take it apart she doesn't think twice....

And as far as a vehicle having gender or a name.... nope... it's a machine... plain and simple....

"Lead paint chips are chewy and sweet..... "

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy. C. Manson

"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in." H. Simpson

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM

my bike caught my eye... and it was love at first sight. I went in to the dealership to look at new Nightsters, the 48 and Superlow... ended up with an 05 Springer lol. Couldn't be happier!
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGrrl View Post
my bike caught my eye... and it was love at first sight. I went in to the dealership to look at new Nightsters, the 48 and Superlow... ended up with an 05 Springer lol. Couldn't be happier!
Nice Funny how that works. I thought my first bike should be a sporty I had a bunch of friends tell me no just check out bikes and get the one that fits.
1/2 Ton likes this.

Cheers Dan
2003 Dyna Low Rider
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

When I was looking for my current bike, I knew I wanted a RoadKing. I went in to buy a brand new one, May 2007. The salesman laughed in my face. If I wanted a RoadKing, I should have been there in January, he told me. There was no way I could get a new RoadKing in May. What was I thinking? He tried to sell me an ElectraGlide Classic.

I went home and called Robinson Motorcycle, a dealer that sells used harleys. I had bought my last used harley from them and knew they were good to deal with. I asked what they had in Road Kings: they had several, up to 2006's. Then Randy asked me if I was open to a great older one. He said he had just received a "cream puff" '94, first year Road King and I could buy it for "Sportster money". I bought it over the phone sight unseen on his say so. It's been the best bike I have ever owned. I guess it kind of picked me. I had no intention of having another old bike.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Garage
without a doubt it picked me
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Harley Rider

Garage
When I was looking, I wasn't sure which bike I was interested in. As I went around the showroom this Big Blue Pearl FLSTC kept staring at me. I went outside to look at some pre-owned bikes but I could still see her staring at me through the door. As it turned out I was able to bring her home for a better deal than the pre-owned one outside. Love at first ride!
1/2 Ton likes this.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

Bike picked me. A co-worker and I drove from OKC to Tulsa for me to pick up a Fatboy that I had scoped out at a place that sells quite a few used Harleys. Upon getting there they had just got a Heritage in and it just called out to me. I rode her home.

If I can't fix it until it's broken then everything I own must be broken.
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM

...any bike that would pick me would have to be sick in the head(s)....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode