my helmet turned sticky.... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

my helmet turned sticky....

Hello everyone.....We had a cold front come through Friday so I pulled out my full-face helmet......It had been 7 -8 months since I last wore it and I noticed the outside coating became sticky....At first I thought that I might of spilled something on it when I moved into my new house last Oct but I no longer think that is the case.....It's sticky all over, not just in certain spots....I took both multi-cleaner and goof-off and tried to use one of those micro-towels to scrub it off.....It has started to come off but I spent over 2 hrs loast night and only got maybe a 1/16th spot clean but am now pulling the coating off.....anyone else have this problem??? any ideas.???? I read on another forum to use rubbing alcohol.....

this is the helmet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=160788608265

2013 HD-1 bike build FXDBP103 Street Bob Black:
103 CI Motor, H-D Smart Alarm, V&H Big Radius 2-2 w/ Heat Shield Powder Coated, V&H VO2 Air Cleaner, V&H Fuelpak LCD, Willie G Skull Theme (Grips, Pegs, Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cap, Shifter, Brake, Etc), 16" Apes-Chrome, Black Forward Controls, Rigid Locking Saddlebags, Sissy Bar, Sundowner Two Seater, Smoked Turn Signal and Brake lenses w/LED's, Tank Bra, Engine Guard w/ Highway Pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Imperial Wizard...

Yep...had a HD flat blk. One do that,and had to throw it away.....

2012 Ultra Classic White hot Pearl..... 2002 Fatboy Concord Purple,
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Long time rider

Where has it been sitting? in a big garage or in a small storage shed. Has it been exposed to pool chemicals in the air or fertilizers in the same area. That stuff is notorious for destroying paint and chrome, especially in a small storage shed. Exhaust fumes and Uv from the sun also damages painted surfaces. I had that happen to some camp gear, never did figure out what got to it.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiyak View Post
Where has it been sitting? in a big garage or in a small storage shed. Has it been exposed to pool chemicals in the air or fertilizers in the same area. That stuff is notorious for destroying paint and chrome, especially in a small storage shed. Exhaust fumes and Uv from the sun also damages painted surfaces. I had that happen to some camp gear, never did figure out what got to it.
no, its been sitting on a metel shelf about 5' in my garage for 6-7 months....don't have a pool, so that chemical is out....no direct sunlight....and I've only fired up my bike in the garage a few times.... but I have researched and four out that alot of helmets' coating becomes sticky after a while and I should try to wash it with basic dish soap and scrub it and let it dry....it'll take off the coating but the paint should remain intack....if not I'll have to have it repainted or get a new one....

103 CI Motor, H-D Smart Alarm, V&H Big Radius 2-2 w/ Heat Shield Powder Coated, V&H VO2 Air Cleaner, V&H Fuelpak LCD, Willie G Skull Theme (Grips, Pegs, Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cap, Shifter, Brake, Etc), 16" Apes-Chrome, Black Forward Controls, Rigid Locking Saddlebags, Sissy Bar, Sundowner Two Seater, Smoked Turn Signal and Brake lenses w/LED's, Tank Bra, Engine Guard w/ Highway Pegs
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Is yer dryer vented into the garage ?.....

(Irresistable).. I've had my share of "sticky helmets"..but this has me puzzled....
ARBY, Snuskeeter, Colt.45 and 1 others like this.

08 FLHTC. Breathing well and getting lots to drink.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Viet Nam 69/70

Garage
I have a second flat Black Fulmer and it turned sticky. I was very careful with this one because I did not know why the first one did it.

I had repainted the first one severl time and it would be ok for a while then get sticky again.

Life: VFW, NRA, NYSRPA(NYS Rifle Pistol Association)
2 favorite signs
CAUTION we do not dial 911 first.
DANGER if you are reading this U R in range.

05 FLSTC, 08 FLHTCUSE3

C4 IRONBALLS

C4 2016 Ironbutt 1226 miles 19.5 hours

Retired 1SG US Army

Where Nagalot and I have been on bike
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM
TAS
Slave to the grind

Sounds like it's been get'n it on w/ your half helmet. Some good ole helmet love! lol j/k
SoftailBilly likes this.

Todd

USN 87-97 AMS-2 (AW)
13 Fatboy Lo
94 Heratige Classic
98 Jeep TJ w/ a few things done to it.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS View Post
Sounds like it's been get'n it on w/ your half helmet. Some good ole helmet love! lol j/k

okay seriously though, I think that its the coating is the problem...I'm going to swing by the store on my way home and get a soft bristle sponge and old fashion dawn(watch it cut grease) and see if I can get the coat off without messing up the paint....

post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Go Army!

IC, I had a similar problem and tried GOO GONE - nope, didn't work. Then I spotted GOOF Off at Wal-Mart in the paint department. Amazing chit!!! Worked with just a little rubbing with a rag and soft scrub pad. Click here Stain Removal | Spot & Stain Remover | Goof Off

2014 CVO Road King (FLHRSE)
Titanium Dust and Galactic Black
2015 Freewheeler (FLRT) for the little lady
2012 Switchback (FLD) sold the POS
2008 Heritage Softail Classic (FLSTC)
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassichHarley View Post
IC, I had a similar problem and tried GOO GONE - nope, didn't work. Then I spotted GOOF Off at Wal-Mart in the paint department. Amazing chit!!! Worked with just a little rubbing with a rag and soft scrub pad. Click here Stain Removal | Spot & Stain Remover | Goof Off
Did they have the the spray bottle at Wal-Mart???? I tried to use the small bottle but couldn't get enough on a rag...I'll try washing it tonight then might look for the spray bottle this weekend......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode