Oil check.. Cold vs. Hot - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Flat Land Redneck

Oil check.. Cold vs. Hot

The book says check hot. Let it idle a few min. then check. Would the oil not drain into the pan over night? Who checks their oil hot or cold? Cold, my level is at the add line. Haven't checked it hot lately. I don't understand the reasoning for checking hot. Seems best to me to let it drain into the pan over night and check before riding. Any thoughts, opinions or advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
The book says check hot. Let it idle a few min. then check. Would the oil not drain into the pan over night? Who checks their oil hot or cold? Cold, my level is at the add line. Haven't checked it hot lately. I don't understand the reasoning for checking hot. Seems best to me to let it drain into the pan over night and check before riding. Any thoughts, opinions or advise?
Oil expands when hot , that is why.

:
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Oil quantity is only 3- 3.5 qts or so it wont expand a lot there is a range on the stick so hot /cold whatever if it is hot just let it sit a few minutes after shutting the engine off before checking the level. Keep it in the range listed on your stick. I know the stick says hot but mine is in the mid range hot or cold with little variation. Hot vs cold on mine is a diff of about 1/8" on the stick.

You Lie and I'll swear to it

One Life One Chance

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better Idiot

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Done

When you change oil, why don't you just remember where the level is on the stick when cold. Then if you check it again cold, you have a reference point.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
+1
I agree with you . Drather check it cold than hot as hell ,drippin hot oil everywhere .
My book says two & a half quarts on a oil & filter change . That puts the oil level dead on the half-way mark between full & add marks . If I happen to check it hot it will be dead on the full mark .
Bike uses no oil between changes and doesn't blow out any oil into the air filter and I regularly redline it with drag pipes & all . LOL .:bikerguy:
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Garage
Harley motors are dry sump motors. If you check cold you run into the chance of getting false low readings due to oil getting past the check valve and draining into the crank case.

By checking hot, the oil pump scavenges the oil out of the crankcase and pumps it back into the oil tank, which is where you are measuring the level..... not the crankcase as with the majority of automotive engines.
tekslk likes this.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Garage
I check both cold and hot levels. No problem.

Joe

2019 FLHT Electra Glide Standard - Vivid Black

Flo Oil Filter/Cooler (installing soon)

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, either way you're right!" - HF
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
Harley motors are dry sump motors. If you check cold you run into the chance of getting false low readings due to oil getting past the check valve and draining into the crank case.

By checking hot, the oil pump scavenges the oil out of the crankcase and pumps it back into the oil tank, which is where you are measuring the level..... not the crankcase as with the majority of automotive engines.

This. If you add oil cold, you can overfill - especially on a Softail.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Ddaddyo likes this.

2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
FM 107 10.5:1 | Woods 777 Cams | Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC | Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Mufflers | DynoJet PowerVision
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 PM
I {Heart} Hookers.

Check hot.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
This. If you add oil cold, you can overfill - especially on a Softail.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Softies have the oil tank separate from the engine and above the tranny . Dyna's have the oil below the engine in the oil pan .
So , would there be any difference in the correct procedure for checking oil ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in