Frustrated...2003 Road King...won't start, no spark, no fuel..please help - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Angry Frustrated...2003 Road King...won't start, no spark, no fuel..please help

I have a 2003 Road King...got on it yesterday, started it normally after a minute or so it died. Went to start it again and won't start. No spark or fuel, does crank. Crank sensor is new. Should the crank sensor have voltage to fuel pump? Anyone have any ideas...thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I {Heart} Hookers.

Have you checked for diagnostic codes? There's a "sticky" in the "electrical" section for this, by year.

Codes will point you in the right direction.

Crank sensor is for ignition and injector pulse. if EFI.

Check fuses too.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Fuses are good. No codes. Crank sensor ok. Have voltage to fuel pump. Just won't start, no spark and no fuel.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
"Ain't quite right"

Any changes made to the bike since the last time it was running? You mention new crank sensor, I'm assuming it was the same problem before the new one?

'08 VRSCDX aka 'the Rod'

2019 FXDR

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
Motive.......honest to God, what is wrong with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDixiecratX View Post
Well Motive, stay out of Vegas, cause you aint playin with a full deck.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I {Heart} Hookers.

When you turn the key, does the fuel pump buzz? If not: Check relays/fuses.

Does it have an alarm system?

Have you checked the battery terminal tightness?

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

To Motive: I replaced the crank sensor because I had an eratic misfire and slight hesitation. I just recently replaced the gear in my tranny (6 speed).

To Dave63: I get occasional fuel pressure but no spark. There is voltage to the fuel pump. No alarm system in the normal sense just the security system that doesn't let the bike run, seems to be ok though. Checked the terminals they are ok on the battery.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
- The fuel pump will only run for 3 seconds untill the engine starts . Check the ignition fuse inside the right side cover , two fuses there , ecm / ignition and fuel pump .
- Engine cranks but doesn't start and no codes setting indicate a problem that's outside of the EMS , engine management system .
- Remove and inspect / clean the speed sensor located on top of the trans at the end of the starter . EMS needs to see a signal from the speed sensor .
- Check that the fuel feed hose is plugged into the tank bung secure , unplug and replug it .
- Engine compression needs to be present to check for spark so checking with the plug out and grounded to the head won't give good results . Install a spark tester in series with the wire and plug .
- The fuel pump feed hose inside the tank could have a hole in it resulting in low fuel pressure .
- Hope some of this info helps ya find the problem .

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Back again......

Been having alot problems with the bike......just replaced the ecm. Ran great over the weekend and yesterday coming into work.....got on it to go home and cranks but won't start. There is no spark. Anyone have any ideas here.....Thanks
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
- The fuel pump will only run for 3 seconds untill the engine starts . Check the ignition fuse inside the right side cover , two fuses there , ecm / ignition and fuel pump .
- Engine cranks but doesn't start and no codes setting indicate a problem that's outside of the EMS , engine management system .
- Remove and inspect / clean the speed sensor located on top of the trans at the end of the starter . EMS needs to see a signal from the speed sensor .
- Check that the fuel feed hose is plugged into the tank bung secure , unplug and replug it .
- Engine compression needs to be present to check for spark so checking with the plug out and grounded to the head won't give good results . Install a spark tester in series with the wire and plug .
- The fuel pump feed hose inside the tank could have a hole in it resulting in low fuel pressure .
- Hope some of this info helps ya find the problem .
I was reading this blog because I was having the same issue. I removed the quick disconnect at the bottom of the tank. Relieved the pressure in the line going to the pump. Wiped both ends down with a clean rag and it left a little black on the rag. Reconnected the line and she fired right up. Took it for a 30 mile ride and had no problem. Shut it off and restated sever times. Thanks for the post. Same me big $$ 2005 FLHRCI ROADKING
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Wayward Son

Appreciate the info on what worked for you. May help someone down the road.
But, uh, thread is 4 years old.

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW
1L/TWF
🖕♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️🖕
🇺🇸 R.E.D.

People are why I love Dogs and my Harley.
💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
09-08-17
🐾No longer by my side. Forever in my heart.🐾
🖤Bear, Brute, Jessie James, Billy the Kid, Aiyana🖤
ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee
No such thing as just a Dog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode