Livewire HD halted production - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Livewire HD halted production

Harley-Davidson has halted production and delivery of its first electric motorcycle, the LiveWire, after discovering what the Milwaukee-based manufacturer described as a non-standard condition.

Harley-Davidson told TechCrunch it is not recalling LiveWire motorcycles already on the road. Reuters was the first to report that Harley-Davidson had stopped production and deliveries.

We recently discovered a non-standard condition during a final quality check; stopped production and deliveries; and began additional testing and analysis, which is progressing well, HD said in a statement.

We are in close contact with our LiveWire dealers and customers and have assured them they can continue to ride LiveWire motorcycles. As usual, were keeping high quality as our top priority.

Harley-Davidson has not said when production and sale could resume, nor did it provide more information on the non-standard condition.

The production stoppage threatens to derail Harley-Davidsons bet on electrification. The $29,799, 105 horsepower electric motorcycle was to be the first of a future line-up of EVs from Harley-Davidson spanning motorcycles, bicycles and scooters.

The LiveWire went into production in 2019 after years of hints and even a concept electric motorcycle roadshow. Delivery to dealers began September 27.

The LiveWire and subsequent EV products are meant to complement, not replace, Harley-Davidsons premium internal-combustion cruiser motorcycles.

I wonder what the issue is and if they can resolve it ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Well, dang it! I was just gettin' ready to go buy me one.
Kainam and tommytailspin like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by English triker View Post
Harley-Davidson has halted production and delivery of its first electric motorcycle, the LiveWire, after discovering what the Milwaukee-based manufacturer described as a non-standard condition.

Harley-Davidson told TechCrunch it is not recalling LiveWire motorcycles already on the road. Reuters was the first to report that Harley-Davidson had stopped production and deliveries.

We recently discovered a non-standard condition during a final quality check; stopped production and deliveries; and began additional testing and analysis, which is progressing well, HD said in a statement.

We are in close contact with our LiveWire dealers and customers and have assured them they can continue to ride LiveWire motorcycles. As usual, were keeping high quality as our top priority.

Harley-Davidson has not said when production and sale could resume, nor did it provide more information on the non-standard condition.

The production stoppage threatens to derail Harley-Davidsons bet on electrification. The $29,799, 105 horsepower electric motorcycle was to be the first of a future line-up of EVs from Harley-Davidson spanning motorcycles, bicycles and scooters.

The LiveWire went into production in 2019 after years of hints and even a concept electric motorcycle roadshow. Delivery to dealers began September 27.

The LiveWire and subsequent EV products are meant to complement, not replace, Harley-Davidsons premium internal-combustion cruiser motorcycles.

I wonder what the issue is and if they can resolve it ....

I think the issue is unintended thermal reaction known as fire, similar to the kids toy known as Power Wheels

FIRE HAZARD SPURS RECALL OF MILLIONS OF RIDE-ON TOYS

And hover boards....

Recall: 7 Hoverboard Brands for Fire Risk

and cellphones...

Here's why Samsung Note 7 phones are catching fire

and E- cigs & vapers

E-Cig Fires & Vape Explosions: Causes / Prevention

don't forget.... Tesla cars and solar cells...

Tesla catches fire

Do not recharge inside or unattended, keep a fire extinguisher that is rated for electrical fires handy.
Maybe if they stop making things out of wood they wouldn't catch fire so often.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Gypsy on Parade

Well just damn! My dealer just put in a bunch of charging stations, too. Now what am I going to get so I can ride to my dealer, charge up, and by the time I get home have to ride back up there to charge again?

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
The statement also advised current owners to NOT charge the Livewire batteries from household outlets !
tommytailspin likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Noel

Garage
I believe it has to do with the level-1/2 charging system, which is an AC to DC converter similar to our smaller trickle charging systems used during the off season. The unit on a Livewire has a higher charging capacity but is limited due to heat generated, I suspect (with no substantiated proof) that the units are getting hotter than they designed them to get.

The Level-3 FAST DC charging stations located at the dealership and elsewhere bypass the AC/DC converter and directly connect to the bikes LI battery pack, so the issues is not with primary storage.

2019 Street Glide Special
2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
2006 VRXSE Destroyer: VRD-941, SG-941
Best time: 9.661
Best Mph: 139.34 mph
Best 60': 1.393

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You would have thought that the Moco would have sorted out these possible issues with the charging especially since many other rechargeable items seem to be suffering the same .
Doesn't look good for Harley does it , you can own one but your be lucky to ride it unless you can make it to the dealership for a recharge but who in their right mind would keep going back to the dealership to be able to ride it for a few miles .
Good job I am not interested in owning one , sooner stick to the tried and tested petrol engine
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:36 PM
weird member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxmanHog View Post
I believe it has to do with the level-1/2 charging system, which is an AC to DC converter similar to our smaller trickle charging systems used during the off season. The unit on a Livewire has a higher charging capacity but is limited due to heat generated, I suspect (with no substantiated proof) that the units are getting hotter than they designed them to get.
That's usually one of the two problems I've heard about with regards to batteries and fires/explosion (particularly lithium ion batteries). It's either the charging too fast (why a lot of phones force slow charging if you use the non-OEM charger designed to charge at a particular speed), or bad cells shorting (walls too thin and not strong enough because of trying to get more cells/capacity in a smaller area).

Waiting for someone to ask how to convert a dryer outlet into a level 3 fast charger.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonicus87 View Post
T
Waiting for someone to ask how to convert a dryer outlet into a level 3 fast charger.
Very Carefully or condensate may cause a short circuit if not grounded properly.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:50 PM
Senior Flatulant

Garage
Dryer lint on the terminals may cause the unintended thermal reaction to increase exponentially ...

Cheers,
Smoketown
Kainam, TaxmanHog and sardonicus87 like this.

2003 FXST & 2013 CVO Ultra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode