Help finding what is leaking - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:33 PM

Run fingers under oil line fittings coming out case, under cam chest, under air cleaner
Smoketown$1 and kansast like this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Senior Flatulant

Garage
Different size mirrors and a flashlight will work too ...

Cheers,
Smoketown
SoftailBilly likes this.

2003 FXST & 2013 CVO Ultra
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Likely coming from the air cleaner. Could have a loose breather hose.

God made everyone right-handed, the truly gifted overcome it.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 AM
South GA Redneck

Garage
Looking at the picture and unless hes just cleaned the bike, the oil is not coming from the air cleaner. If it was, it would most likely be all over the side of the bike as well and he would have some serious crankcase breather issues if that much oil was running through the A/C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Mississippi Cajun

I agree with Jason. I had one of those leaks on my last bike that made me crazy trying to pin it down. Turned out to be a leaking shaft seal or bearing between the primary and crankcase.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Barney Fife - Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansast View Post
From my un-experienced view.. it feels like oil. It accumulates on the bottom of the right side of the frame. Where it eventually leaks to the ground. I can run my fingers along the bottom of the frame, and feel it, to me it feels like oil.

Wish I had a lift of some kind, someway to jack the bike up high enough. It was all I could do with the help of my phone camera, getting to the drain plug for the transmission when I changed it out the other day. I've tried what I could do to look on the underneath of the bike. Feel like wherever this leak is, it's something to the right side of the bike, don't appear to be anything directly on the bottom of the bike leaking.
Suspect #2?

G Man

Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Barney Fife - Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerboy View Post
Looking at the picture and unless hes just cleaned the bike, the oil is not coming from the air cleaner. If it was, it would most likely be all over the side of the bike as well and he would have some serious crankcase breather issues if that much oil was running through the A/C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, if you look closely, there isn't a huge amount of oil on the floor. I could easily see that running across the cam cover and down, especially if it accumulated in the bottom of the AC cover until the bike is parked and leaning slightly to the left. I just found a similar drip on my EVO which prompted me to re-route the breather hose away from the AC (not sure why I hadn't done this already).

Of course the real answer is to clean everything up and go for a ride then watch with a good flashlight to trace the oil to it's source. This really isn't rocket surgery.
baggerboy likes this.

G Man

Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
LateNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Suspect #2?
The leak appeared before changing out the transmission oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Actually, if you look closely, there isn't a huge amount of oil on the floor. I could easily see that running across the cam cover and down, especially if it accumulated in the bottom of the AC cover until the bike is parked and leaning slightly to the left. I just found a similar drip on my EVO which prompted me to re-route the breather hose away from the AC (not sure why I hadn't done this already).

Of course the real answer is to clean everything up and go for a ride then watch with a good flashlight to trace the oil to it's source. This really isn't rocket surgery.

I have tried this. But I've heard some good suggestions here, to help me try and take a closer look.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Retired citizen

Garage
My guess is, judging from where that oil spot on the floor is, it's residual oil from filter changes. The oil runs down the case and clutch cable and dribbles from the lowest spot on that side of the engine !
I would go to the car wash and pressure wash the underside of the frame and get everything nice and clean for once, then see if the oil spot on the floor returns.
kansast likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
^^^^^^^^^ No matter how careful I am when changing the oil filter, it never fails that oil "spills" below the filter and gets all over. For about a week I have drip marks on the floor.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
-Harley-Davidson Luggage Rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode