Help finding what is leaking - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
LateNight

Help finding what is leaking

have a 2016 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail with 2,000 miles. I've noticed after being out riding. After the bike is parked. Not immediately. Maybe some 15-20 minutes later something starts dripping. Leaks a bit, and this last for like an hour or so, and then it stops leaking.

I can't tell from where it's leaking from. Other than it's making it's way to the lower frame of the bike on the right hand side. And then dripping to the ground. I've been keeping a constant eye on Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, and the Primary. And everything seems to be where it should be. I really hate not knowing where this is coming from. don't know if anyone might have some ideas or suggestions. I'll include a photo, which shows where about the leak is ending up on the ground compared to the bike. Which I know may not be at all helpful. What ever leaks, goes down. May run along what ever, and then leaks to the ground. when it reaches the lowest point. I have tried to look as best I can, at what seals and drain plugs I can see, and other locations which I can see. Just not seeing where it's coming from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harley-leak-2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	761297  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM
South GA Redneck

Garage
If those exhaust are aftermarket, check the two bolts the the exhaust mount to on the transmission cover. They are known for getting loose and causing an ever so slight leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kansast likes this.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
Try looking at the bottom of the air cleaner.
Kainam, SoftailBilly and kansast like this.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
LateNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerboy View Post
If those exhaust are aftermarket, check the two bolts the the exhaust mount to on the transmission cover. They are known for getting loose and causing an ever so slight leak.

thanks for the reply, I will do that. I recently bought this bike used. It does have aftermarket python pipes on it.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:29 PM
South GA Redneck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansast View Post
thanks for the reply, I will do that. I recently bought this bike used. It does have aftermarket python pipes on it.

Could also be coming from the clutch cable. O-ring where it goes into clutch cover could be gone.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Barney Fife - Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman1340 View Post
Try looking at the bottom of the air cleaner.
This would be the place to start.
tommytailspin and kansast like this.

G Man

Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:59 PM

Garage
What does it smell like... gas, oil, brake fluid... what does it feel like... water, greasy? Let us know what you identify.

Parts left off don't wear out.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerboy View Post
Could also be coming from the clutch cable. O-ring where it goes into clutch cover could be gone.
Have two friends with touring bikes had the beginnings of a leak at the clutch cable. Mine a 09 had some oily dirt gathering at fitting but no leakage. Put a wrench on it turned slightly more than a 1/4 then felt like it seated using one finger. The other two bikes had similar improperly tightened fittings. Just FYI to you all.
Kainam, Smoketown$1 and 1/2 Ton like this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Proud Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;7310303
This would be the place to start.
Or he could crawl on the ground and actually trace the leaking oil to see where it originates.

Sent from here to there.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
Old 09-09-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
LateNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky53204 View Post
What does it smell like... gas, oil, brake fluid... what does it feel like... water, greasy? Let us know what you identify.

From my un-experienced view.. it feels like oil. It accumulates on the bottom of the right side of the frame. Where it eventually leaks to the ground. I can run my fingers along the bottom of the frame, and feel it, to me it feels like oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
Or he could crawl on the ground and actually trace the leaking oil to see where it originates.
Sent from here to there.
Wish I had a lift of some kind, someway to jack the bike up high enough. It was all I could do with the help of my phone camera, getting to the drain plug for the transmission when I changed it out the other day. I've tried what I could do to look on the underneath of the bike. Feel like wherever this leak is, it's something to the right side of the bike, don't appear to be anything directly on the bottom of the bike leaking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in