Contaminated Oil Removal System (CORS) - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
gorilla glue tuff

Contaminated Oil Removal System (CORS)

anybody ever use one. i'm very anal about changing fluids in everything i own and this looks pretty legit to me. looks simple to use and says it removes 99 percent of dirty oil. all you do is drain old oil, put the drain plug back in, take off the oil filter, connect this to the oil filter threads, put new oil in the bike, run it until you see clear oil, then remove and put on new filter. i know the amount of oil it removes doesnt harm anything but hell, why not get every bit of dirty oil out that you can.

anyone have one or hear anything about them?

forgot to add the link lol http://2armcyclestore.com/shoponline...c7c338c78a6e75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
gorilla glue tuff

also i was just looking at costomer reviews on the site and 31 out of 31 people gave it a 5 star rating. i think i'm going to buy it next time i change my oil. if i do i'll take a video of it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
I {Heart} Hookers.

The only issue I have with this is, per the instructions, you:

Here are the following steps:
Warm Engine
Drain Oil
Remove Filter
Replace Drain Plug
Replace Oil
Install CORS
Start Bike
Run till oil is clear *****
Stop Engine
Remove CORS
Install New Filter
Run Engine (One Minute)
Check Oil Level

On an Evo engine, I have no problem with this, because the oil filter is the LAST place the oil goes, before returning to the oil tank.

On a TC engine, (Twin Cam), it's the opposite, in that the oil goes from the tank, to the pump, then to the filter, THEN to the engine.

Running the engine with the filter off on a TC engine, means you're running a dry engine, as the oil that would be going to your crank/top end, is now going out of the engine. To boot, you're then installing a dry filter, and the engine will continue to run dry, until the filter is filled and the oil starts back into the engine.

Will it harm the engine, considering it has roller bearings and not babbitt bearings? Unsure, but the tappets and rocker arm bushings are lubed with high pressure oil and are bushings, not bearings. Newer (2007-up) cam plates are bushs, not bearings. Bushings and babbitt need high oil pressure to run on an oil film, not just oil presence.

The amount of "dirty oil" remaining in the engine after a proper oil change is about 1-2 cups, if that.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
gorilla glue tuff

well thanks for that info dave. i think i would rather have 2 cups of dirty oil than to run my engine dry.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Garage
I looked into this myself. Not a device, but the idea of removing all of the oil for an oil change. On a softail you can do it without any kind of device, and because you are draining oil from the return line, you are not running the engine dry.

Anyway, I have basically concluded that it is overkill. Maybe if you bought a bike used and learned that the oil and filter had been in there 10-15K miles, but if you are changing the oil every 3-4 (or less for some guys) you are changing it well before it is worn out.

If you use synthetic, it is even more the case. I know a couple of guys that have installed two-stage filtering on their trucks and run Amsoil 40-50K miles. I can't see that it's a big deal if 15-20% of the oil has to go an extra 3-4K miles.

The most important thing about changing the oil is changing the filter. While I wouldn't do it, I would speculate that you could run a good quality synthetic FAR beyond 5K miles as long as you replaced the filter on the 4-5K mile service and topped off the oil tank.

2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
FM 107 10.5:1 | Woods 777 Cams | Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC | Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Mufflers | DynoJet PowerVision
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:23 AM

Ditto on the clean oil routine, but I dont know about the 99% claim. I have the system on my road king and IMO a fellow would have to purge and waste a lot of good oil to get close to 99%. I do belive that it is well worth the money and most likely gets about 95% of the used oil out. Which is far better then 65-70% with out it. Depending on your modle beware of the springs on the half shell connection for the touring bike setup, they are bogus. I saftey wire mine on.

SE Road King
'02FLHRSEI
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Seor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
Is it similar to this already discussed system?:
https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...ng-system.html

Keep wondering how everybody got along until now with all that dirty oil in their engines.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode