Scavenger Oil Change System - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Scavenger Oil Change System

I was very sceptical about the whole deal at first. Drain plug laying on the bench and the bike is running???? Yeah right....but Holy Crap!!! This deal works and works well. I will use this every time my oil is changed. I did a complete oil change, rode it around town (5 miles) and then pulled the dipstick and the oil looked as it did when it was poured out of the SYN3 quart container!!!! I did catch 3 ounces when I drained it. Going to send it in for analysis. Only thing, if dealer didn't get all the first 1000 mile oil out then it will have contaminated my 3 oz 5000 mile sample. We'll see what they come up with...

High Torque Porque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetHog View Post
I was very sceptical about the whole deal at first. Drain plug laying on the bench and the bike is running???? Yeah right....but Holy Crap!!! This deal works and works well. I will use this every time my oil is changed. I did a complete oil change, rode it around town (5 miles) and then pulled the dipstick and the oil looked as it did when it was poured out of the SYN3 quart container!!!! I did catch 3 ounces when I drained it. Going to send it in for analysis. Only thing, if dealer didn't get all the first 1000 mile oil out then it will have contaminated my 3 oz 5000 mile sample. We'll see what they come up with...

There has been some discussion here about scavenging oil. I think the general consensus is that is an unneeded use of time and money. There is really no way that the 10-15% of the oil remaining in the case is going to compromise anything. Especially since 99% of hardcore Harley owners change the oil well before it is at the end of its life anyway.

Of course, if you had a bike that had been sitting a long period of time, or if there was something specific that caused contamination, that would be a different story.

But, hey man, there are folks who do it. If it gives you some peace of mind, then it's obviously worth it to you.

By the way, when I change my oil, it also looks that clean for the first few hundred miles, and I don't scavenge it.

2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
FM 107 10.5:1 | Woods 777 Cams | Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC | Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Mufflers | DynoJet PowerVision
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
There has been some discussion here about scavenging oil. I think the general consensus is that is an unneeded use of time and money. There is really no way that the 10-15% of the oil remaining in the case is going to compromise anything. Especially since 99% of hardcore Harley owners change the oil well before it is at the end of its life anyway.

Of course, if you had a bike that had been sitting a long period of time, or if there was something specific that caused contamination, that would be a different story.

But, hey man, there are folks who do it. If it gives you some peace of mind, then it's obviously worth it to you.

By the way, when I change my oil, it also looks that clean for the first few hundred miles, and I don't scavenge it.
I would agree but I'm curious just what the 99% of all you "hardcore" HD riders think is the "end" of your oil life is. If you haven't had analysis done then you don't have any idea what the life of your oil is....just say'n

I will say that 15% of the "old" oil left in your motor is over a 1/2 a quart. I did the Scavenger and watched the crap that it flushed out. The Scavenger doesn't add that much more time to the service but the time it does add, I'll eat. Got over $5K in my engine build. I'm gonna Scavenge it....EVERYTIME. JMO which doesn't mean much....

High Torque Porque

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I say that because I have 15-20 HD riders here that ride their bikes and service them per the owners manual. If their oil breaks down before that they don't care because the "book" says every 5K miles you should service. Conditions in which they ride doesn't matter because the "book" says so...that's my point. But I question that 99% of HD owners change their oil before scheduled maintance. To many go by the book....

High Torque Porque
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Garage
I have been using Amsoil 20w50 since I bought my bike used. I change it and the filter every 3,000 miles. I might go to 3,500 if the timing is bad. I also change the primary every time. I change the transmission every other time.

I'd guess that 5K would be fine, but I just don't wait that long. My bike is fairly healthy. I'm not racing or operating the bike in extreme conditions.

I think the concept of scavenging is interesting. And, as you said, we all pay a ton of money for these toys, so every man should do whatever he wants and needs to do to give himself the peace of mind that he's doing all he can to keep them up.

I just don't think it matters. There are very few out there scavenging, and there's an awful lot of guys with strong-running motors with very high mileage that have just changed it the conventional way.

2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
FM 107 10.5:1 | Woods 777 Cams | Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC | Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Mufflers | DynoJet PowerVision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode