O2 sensor and tune advice - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didoman View Post
Are you thinking they just don't know what they're doing? I'm not very familiar with the Harley tuner, but my understanding is that the software doesn't give you much flexibility in AFRs due to emissions restrictions. Like I'm not sure whether you can just dial down low/mid-rpm enleanment? I should just buy the damn cable and see for myself, they really should include the cable with the tuner.

They either lack experience or are using a canned tune and then running it on a dyno to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slingshot383 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Barney Fife - Poser

Quote:
Are you thinking they just don't know what they're doing? I'm not very familiar with the Harley tuner, but my understanding is that the software doesn't give you much flexibility in AFRs due to emissions restrictions. Like I'm not sure whether you can just dial down low/mid-rpm enleanment? I should just buy the damn cable and see for myself, they really should include the cable with the tuner.
Quote:
New 2019 Street Bob, about 3 months old. At 1500 miles had some upgrades done: Vance&Hines big radius, Harley heavy breather, Harley pro street tuner, and stage 2 torque kit. All the work was done by the dealer. They used a map for stage 2, though it's probably not tuned right for the short pipes...
I'm confused. Your own post says they used a "stage 2 map". If they put the pipes on and tuned it then why would it not be tuned right for the short pipes? Did they tune it or did they load a canned map?
slingshot383 likes this.

G Man

Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
I'm confused. Your own post says they used a "stage 2 map". If they put the pipes on and tuned it then why would it not be tuned right for the short pipes? Did they tune it or did they load a canned map?
My impression is that they originally loaded a canned map for the the cam change and then tweaked that map on the dyno runs to try to accommodate the exhaust change.

What I think will be interesting is whether going back to stock exhaust will cure the problem or not. Ideally another dyno tune will be done for that.
slingshot383 likes this.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Initial install was a canned map that should have been appropriate for the upgrades (stage 2 + exhaust). Issues since (see above), and in their words the canned map may not necessarily appropriate for non-Harley parts (pipes). So the suggested next step was to tune (dyno).
slingshot383 likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:11 PM

Shouldve been tuned on the dyno first not just the canned map.

slingshot383 likes this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZman View Post
Shouldve been tuned on the dyno first not just the canned map.

I'm not an expert but I disagree. The canned map for the cams was probably the best baseline map to work from as the bike probably would have run like crap on the stock map after the cam change, if it would even run.
slingshot383 likes this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naknekpete View Post
I'm not an expert but I disagree. The canned map for the cams was probably the best baseline map to work from as the bike probably would have run like crap on the stock map after the cam change, if it would even run.

Should have been run on dyno before the work and then after. Thats how my bike was done and it ran excellent. No canned map was used.

slingshot383 likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Should have been run on dyno before the work and then after. Thats how my bike was done and it ran excellent. No canned map was used.
Sure you can dyno before if you want to see the performance delta -- at your cost. Otherwise I don't see how that's relevant? Canned maps should be fine with harley parts, they are tailored to the bike and upgrade(s). Though obviously there will be room for improvement with a proper tune.

That argument aside, it's been run on the dyno now post-upgrade, and the tune is still not working out. To your earlier point, "maybe they are just using a canned map and then running it on a dyno to see the results"... man I would be pissed... I really have no way to verify what they did, other than their word. Suppose I could bring it to another shop.
slingshot383 likes this.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM

O2 sensor and tune advice

My bike was run on the dyno prior to upgrades. Dyno tuned after upgrading. Then I ran it 1000 miles and brought it back and one last dyno done. All included in the pricing/ work which I was given an accurate estimate prior to work being done. I got printouts of all the dyno runs also.

slingshot383 likes this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My bike was run on the dyno prior to upgrades. Dyno tuned after upgrading. Then I ran it 1000 miles and brought it back and one last dyno done. All included in the pricing/ work which I was given an accurate estimate prior to work being done. I got printouts of all the dyno runs also.
Nice! I like that approach and obviously you get what you pay for. Your printouts -- details, or just power/torque vs RPM curves?

Assuming that my shop is competent, the "after" tune should be fine (and "before" run irrelevant). My suspicion is that they are running into a wall in terms of what the Harley tuner can deliver, and don't want to admit it...
slingshot383 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode