O2 sensor and tune advice - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

O2 sensor and tune advice

New 2019 Street Bob, about 3 months old. At 1500 miles had some upgrades done: Vance&Hines big radius, Harley heavy breather, Harley pro street tuner, and stage 2 torque kit. All the work was done by the dealer. They used a map for stage 2, though it's probably not tuned right for the short pipes...

Sounds great when you fire it up, engine idles OK, runs smooth. I can ride for ~20 miles before I get a check engine light (seems to pop up in 2nd-3rd gear, noticed it once while engine braking). While light is on the performance drops and it starts backfiring on decel. Codes come back O2 sensors, front and back. I can reset them, then this repeats -- rides smooth for a while then O2 sensor codes.

So I'm pretty sure it's a bad tune / too lean, but I'd love to hear opinions. My big question is what to do... this is the first bike I've bought new and I'd like to keep it in warranty! Right now they are recommending a dyno (and the tune would sure be nice), but I'm concerned there won't be enough headroom with the Harley tuner to deal with the O2 sensor issue. Plus it would be out of pocket. Should I give it a shot or suck it up and go back to stock pipes on their dime?

Advice appreciated!
slingshot383 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:43 AM
Frozen Member

Sounds like you already know the answers as defined by your desire to keep it within warranty. Its possible a a dyno tune on the pro street tuner will help solve your problem, or at least help you decide whether you can run those pipes or not under those limitations. If not and you have to go back to stock exhaust, you will probably need another dyno tune or to run the canned map so its an expensive attempt. They should experiment at their own cost to see if the stuff they sold you will work together, not yours.
SoftailBilly and slingshot383 like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah at the end of the day it just seems a shame to waste the warranty, a few years down the road will be another story. Thanks for the advice, I'll make it clear that if it doesn't work out then redoing exhaust and dyno is gonna be at their cost. Somehow I see that not going over well haha... I'll post back, thanks again
slingshot383 likes this.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Its under warranty take it back and have them fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slingshot383 likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 AM

Yes, I agree to get it back to your dealer and have them attend to it.
slingshot383 likes this.

"....3 dueces and a 4 speed..........and a 389"..........
Goodson H-D Cylinder Head Tooling Manufacturer
Celebrating over 35 Years of H-D Engine Building
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's being run today. Hopefully they can sort it!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didoman View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone, it's being run today. Hopefully they can sort it!
I hope you post back with details. It would be good to know how it works out & if the moco tuner will allow enough AFR change to accommodate the cam & exhaust change combo. I'm kinda curious as to whether it will even handle just the cam change with stock exhaust if you end up having to back to that.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Update: They ran the dyno and bike was running great, smooth throttle through all gears. Did ~160 miles this weekend, no issues. Monday morning though, check engine popped back on. I'm not sure if it's an O2 code but I assume so, the trigger was the same (slowing down to 20-30 through a toll station, engine breaking in 2nd-3rd gear). Bringing it back in on Thursday, I can't really think of anything else to try but going back to stock exhaust. For now I'll keep the stage 2 and intake, I do prefer it over stock (looks and knee clearance).

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM

With your set up theres no reason why they cant get it to run right with a good dyno tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slingshot383 likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Are you thinking they just don't know what they're doing? I'm not very familiar with the Harley tuner, but my understanding is that the software doesn't give you much flexibility in AFRs due to emissions restrictions. Like I'm not sure whether you can just dial down low/mid-rpm enleanment? I should just buy the damn cable and see for myself, they really should include the cable with the tuner.
slingshot383 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode