Cams - Pipes - And Tuners. Questions - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By slingshot383
  • 2 Post By jpassh2o
  • 1 Post By Turboviking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
TurboViking

Garage
Cams - Pipes - And Tuners. Questions

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! I have a question of you tuner folks. I have a 2008 Dyna FXDF. It is used and has 30 K on it. It's one owner. He bought from dealer, and before delivery they added a HD tear-drop style breather and some SE slip-ons and told him they did a "Stage One" tune. If that is so or not is not known, but I suspect they did some small mods to the tune for the increased breathing.

He drove it home and with a few days bought a Vance-Hines Pro-Pipe with stock baffle (not the performance or the quiet one) and installed. Pretty much all that has been done to date. Has narrow band o2 sensors. The bike, at 96 inch, runs pretty nice and torque-y and has decent sound. But the limitations of the stock cam intake profile prevent the pipe from helping draw much air into the unit, and thus I am swapping them out. I chose S&S 583 based on the bike's weight and my riding style. From what I see they are pretty much the best choice I could find for this street bike and what I am hoping to get from it.

As far as the main question - tuning. I am familiar with the SERT which I have used on earlier models with no o2 sensors and it offers everything needed for those. I have a NOS SEPST 32019-08A BLACK here that NIB and unmarried. I've not used those. My research suggests that the number of canned maps (I am nowhere near any dyno shop) is limited for this combo in the HD SEPST. Not that I won't find a use for that, but I was also considering the purchase of an FP3. Both seem to have an "auto-tune" (I think the FP3 more-so) and wonder what you folks think of my chances of a good non-dyno tune from the SESPT and it's data collection and canned maps. Or do you tuners think the FP3 is a better option.

I'm not that great of a tuner. I know the fundamentals and can read maps and stuff from messing with the SERT and just reading posts here and elsewhere.

All ideas are appreciated. If you think I can use the HD tuner and save myself some money that would be nice.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and ideas.

Troy from Yosemite

Last edited by Turboviking; 09-23-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:26 AM

Garage
Use the Tuner you have, buy the cables, start with a canned tune that matches as close as possible to what you have, then using the Tuner and cables, record rides and fine tune accordingly. That unit is very flexible and will get you to a great tune.
jpassh2o and Turboviking like this.

2015 Ultra Limited, 103 Stage IV kit, Screamin Eagle intake and exhaust system, Memphis Shades 8.5" windscreen, Grasshopper drivers backrest, Kuryakyn highway pegs, lower triple tree air deflector,

Member of the Torque and Recoil Club
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot383 View Post
Use the Tuner you have, buy the cables, start with a canned tune that matches as close as possible to what you have, then using the Tuner and cables, record rides and fine tune accordingly. That unit is very flexible and will get you to a great tune.
X2
slingshot383 and Turboviking like this.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
TurboViking

Garage
Sounds good. The cables I have work. The USB cable is different that the SERT.. I should go the Moco and buy a USB printer cable for 39 bucks... eh? Ha.. Thanks for the help man!
slingshot383 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in