Multimeter Recommendations . . . - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Multimeter Recommendations . . .

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered to death (I searched the forum and didn't find anything). In any case . . .

I would like to purchase a quality Multimeter. I don't know much about them but a number of threads make reference to using a Multimeter to diagnose electrical issues. I love doing my own work but diagnosing electrical problems is not my specialty. I understand circuits, wiring, etc., and have an electrical IQ if that helps.

Thank You in advance for any advice or recommendations you have for me. I am willing to spend the money on a quality multimeter too and am not looking to "Just get by".

Thanks,

David

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
IMO spending under $100.00 will get ya a good multimeter, just don't buy one with too many confusing bells and whistles. Ya don't need a 'Fluke' to test 12 volt AC and DC circuits. 'Klein' has a nice 3 piece test kit for $80.00 at Home Depot. Multimeter, amp clamp meter and voltage probe.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This One?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...0035/300715023

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 AM

A few years ago I had a really nice commercial multimeter that I knocked off the workbench and broke. I went out and paid a couple of hundred for another nice meter that fell into the fan of my truck while I was looking at battery voltage with the engine running (meter and fan destroyed). So I bought a cheap multimeter with a clamp-on ammeter from Harbor Freight and, to tell the truth, it works just as well as the high priced ones for what I am doing. I know there are some electronic projects where more accuracy is needed, but for my automotive hacking this cheap one is adequate and if it gets broken I'm not out much. Just another way of looking at things.
Wrgiacona and buckanear007 like this.

-Mike-

Metalflake Blue/Black 2013 FLHTCU

"If you're gonna be stupid,
you gotta be tough"
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:17 AM

I have a fluke but I use it almost daily
buckanear007 likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Outlaw

Garage
I only buy and own Fluke's, but I'm a professional.

In your case, some of the better ones from Harbor Freight should serve your purpose, might even check the pawn shops and Craigslist as you never know what you will find. Tat set from Home Depot isn't a bad deal either.

One piece of advise though make sure it has an impact resistant rubberized case, the heavier the better. A good multimeter is one of the most useful tools you can own, it's also the most often dropped tool on the shelf, so it needs to be rugged.

You might also start looking on Youtube for video's on how to use a multimeter for various tasks. Haven't looked for any myself, but there's video's on how to do just about anything else. Even if your just doing basic voltage and continuity tests it's always good to know a little more about what your doing.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:42 AM
JLR

I used to have a really good multimeter. I used it a lot, then I changed fields. The battery in it corroded and ruined the meter. I now have a Harbor Freight "free with purchase" digital multimeter. I haven't needed more. Having said that, I do understand the desire to own quality equipment. Klein or Fluke would be a great choice.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVMN View Post
That's the one I was looking at. Kinda nice because the clamp amp meter and voltage tester probe are included. Those all you'll ever need for any kind of electrical testing.
There's other companies that sell good similar sets, the 'Klein' was just an example. Craftsman has quality multimeters also, I've got the Craftsman amp clamp meter among my batch of multimeters, 5 I think so far !

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Outlaw

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
I used to have a really good multimeter. I used it a lot, then I changed fields. The battery in it corroded and ruined the meter. I now have a Harbor Freight "free with purchase" digital multimeter. I haven't needed more. Having said that, I do understand the desire to own quality equipment. Klein or Fluke would be a great choice.
Absolutely!!

Another one I just thought of I have been known to carry on trips and actually use from time to time is a little Radio Shack pocket mulitmeter. I found it under the seat of a used truck I bought some time back, it works and has yet to fail me when I needed it.

Quick google search for something like it still available turned up this Pocket-Mini-Size-Portable-Multimeter

While I normally say things like buy the best you can afford when it come to tools, on something like this you can always start small and graduate to something really high end "if" you find the need.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Two more things I use to test electrical circuits are a battery powered and an unpowered test light. Battery powered for quick tests on open circuits and unpowered for quick tests in circuits that have B+. Both can be had for under $10 bucks.
JLR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode