Looking for a New Vest - Any Recommendations? - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
I had one of those money magnets, all it did was attract Gold Diggers. It didn't pull any money my way either. LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist, home alone today.)
I am trying to understand what you mean, but i can't figure it out.
Villain is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: maine
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
I am trying to understand what you mean, but i can't figure it out.
If you go to there web site you will find an item described as a money magnet.
J F Go is online now  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
If you go to there web site you will find an item described as a money magnet.

LOL. Dude, i was like WTF is he trying to say. It's Monday. I'm a bit slow today.
J F Go likes this.
Villain is online now  
 
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: maine
Posts: 598
That's OK, It's all good.
Villain likes this.
J F Go is online now  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 AM
Outlaw
 
Doc M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: South Texas
Posts: 546
Garage
Yup, ya get what you pay for. My current vest is from First Mfg, yes it was cheap to buy and cheaply made, and shorter than I would normally buy. But I like the style, pocket arrangements etc so I bought it with every intention of a road trip to Mexico where you can find some great leather shops that can custom make a vest the way you want that are more affordable. In other words I bought a pattern. Trouble is, that was 2 years ago, I haven't made a road trip down to Mexico in a decade, and the damn thing still looks good and is holding up fairly well. So for $89.00, what the heck. LoL

My first vest (which I still have hanging in the closet) started as a London Fog Denim Jacket, decided I liked it so I bought it, took it to Mexico and by the time they were done you could not tell it ever had sleeves. And I can't decide what's sadder, the fact it's still in pretty good shape or the fact I'm about twice the size I was back then and it's too damn small. So what if it's a little blood stained, if that thing could talk,,,,,,, guess it's a good thing it can't. ROTFL (don't worry, most of it was my blood)

As for what you should buy, get whatever suits your own personal tastes and style, and don't worry about the price tag. Sure there might be some of us who might tease you over putting Chinese pipes on a Harley, but I've yet to meet anyone who would mock a man over his choice of vest, unless of course it's pink with a big rainbow patch on back. And,,,,, well hell, it's 2018 so ya might just get away with it today if that's where your heart takes you.
Villain likes this.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
Doc M is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M View Post
Yup, ya get what you pay for. My current vest is from First Mfg, yes it was cheap to buy and cheaply made, and shorter than I would normally buy. But I like the style, pocket arrangements etc so I bought it with every intention of a road trip to Mexico where you can find some great leather shops that can custom make a vest the way you want that are more affordable. In other words I bought a pattern. Trouble is, that was 2 years ago, I haven't made a road trip down to Mexico in a decade, and the damn thing still looks good and is holding up fairly well. So for $89.00, what the heck. LoL

My first vest (which I still have hanging in the closet) started as a London Fog Denim Jacket, decided I liked it so I bought it, took it to Mexico and by the time they were done you could not tell it ever had sleeves. And I can't decide what's sadder, the fact it's still in pretty good shape or the fact I'm about twice the size I was back then and it's too damn small. So what if it's a little blood stained, if that thing could talk,,,,,,, guess it's a good thing it can't. ROTFL (don't worry, most of it was my blood)

As for what you should buy, get whatever suits your own personal tastes and style, and don't worry about the price tag. Sure there might be some of us who might tease you over putting Chinese pipes on a Harley, but I've yet to meet anyone who would mock a man over his choice of vest, unless of course it's pink with a big rainbow patch on back. And,,,,, well hell, it's 2018 so ya might just get away with it today if that's where your heart takes you.
Thanks Doc. Looks like you have some stories to tell. The price isn't the issue for me. I just want a vest that holds up that i will be wearing 10+ years down the road (cheap or expensive). I made the mistake of getting a size up so i can wear over a jacket or hoodie. It was working out 5 days a week and pretty 'wide' back then, so it wasn't too bad but now that i "shrunk" a bit and got it soaked it's pretty much done for me. I know the style i want. i just wanted the forums opinion on brands and recommendations. I appreciate everyone's input.

Was the Chinese pipes a comment about the V&H slip-ons or just a general comment? LOL Either way, i couldn't see myself spending another $2k for pipes after buying a new bike. My wallet was already hurting after that purchase. $350 slip-ons made a world of a difference compared to stock, and would hold me over til next spring. I'll be getting the D&D 2:1 Fat Cat
Villain is online now  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Keeper Of The Kept.
 
ZombieOutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
I'm on the search for a new vest. My old one was on the bigger side, and after getting caught in a downpour it stretched a bit and i think its time for a new one. Anyone have a brand they recommend? I think i may do collarless too to feel less restricted.

I can tell you this. Stay away from the ones that look like the Sons of Anarchy vest unless you are there to try it on. Got one on ebay and had to send it back twice (overseas) because there sizing wasn't even close to their chart. They also have zippers so you can't use chain snaps.
Villain likes this.


If a butterfly didn't have wings, it would be a butterwalk.





"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
ZombieOutlaw is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieOutlaw View Post
I can tell you this. Stay away from the ones that look like the Sons of Anarchy vest unless you are there to try it on. Got one on ebay and had to send it back twice (overseas) because there sizing wasn't even close to their chart. They also have zippers so you can't use chain snaps.
I only saw a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy, so i had to look them up. Yes, i guess i am looking for something like that. My current one is similar with a stand up collar, and i want the next to be collarless and more comfortable and less restrictive. I just found a Milwaukee leather vest that is exactly what I'm looking for. Pretty decent price too. I don't know much about the brand, but with a company name like that you would think they are quality? The company has been around since 1991. Ever hear of the brand?
Villain is online now  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Outlaw
 
Doc M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: South Texas
Posts: 546
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
Thanks Doc. Looks like you have some stories to tell.
After a few brews around a campfire perhaps, then again some stories probably shouldn't be told. LoL


Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
Was the Chinese pipes a comment about the V&H slip-ons or just a general comment? LOL Either way, i couldn't see myself spending another $2k for pipes after buying a new bike. My wallet was already hurting after that purchase. $350 slip-ons made a world of a difference compared to stock, and would hold me over til next spring. I'll be getting the D&D 2:1 Fat Cat
Naa, just a general comment. The D&D Fat Cat is a good choice, the really good stuff can be expensive just like anything else H-D related, but sometimes you gotta spend a little money to get what you really want. Yes I just broke the cookie jar again for a Rinehart Extreme True Dual system and a somewhat serious engine upgrade (to be announced later) for the FLHP, we all know how to spend what's in the cookie jar, and being happily divorced I don't have to ask permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieOutlaw View Post
I can tell you this. Stay away from the ones that look like the Sons of Anarchy vest unless you are there to try it on. Got one on ebay and had to send it back twice (overseas) because there sizing wasn't even close to their chart. They also have zippers so you can't use chain snaps.
I almost mentioned that myself, a lot of folks have had that issue. But there are several companies that sell the less expensive vests (including First Mfg) who do have a pretty good sizing chart and offer that style vest (without all the movie patches of course).

Oh, and take a look at Craigslist, ya might get lucky and find what you want in the right size that's never been worn just down the road for half price.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
Doc M is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M View Post
After a few brews around a campfire perhaps, then again some stories probably shouldn't be told. LoL

Naa, just a general comment. The D&D Fat Cat is a good choice, the really good stuff can be expensive just like anything else H-D related, but sometimes you gotta spend a little money to get what you really want. Yes I just broke the cookie jar again for a Rinehart Extreme True Dual system and a somewhat serious engine upgrade (to be announced later) for the FLHP, we all know how to spend what's in the cookie jar, and being happily divorced I don't have to ask permission.



I almost mentioned that myself, a lot of folks have had that issue. But there are several companies that sell the less expensive vests (including First Mfg) who do have a pretty good sizing chart and offer that style vest (without all the movie patches of course).

Oh, and take a look at Craigslist, ya might get lucky and find what you want in the right size that's never been worn just down the road for half price.
Those campfire stories are the best stories when you are with the right people that you can trust

It is way too easy to spend what's in the jar on anything H-D. Its addictive, and there is always something you want to do. Especially when you are on the forum and you get great ideas from others. My SB is such a blank canvas, that there are so many things i can do to it. That was my intention in the first place, but that will come in time even though i have zero patience. I have a very long list, and i am NOT doing the "club" style with fairing etc. I'm most likely leaning towards a stretched rear fender, fat front tire on a solid fatboy wheel, 2-up seat with sissy bar, 7 inch front headlight.

I cant wait to see what you do to yours. How does that Rinehart system sound? Keep us posted. Oh yes, my wife knows what my intentions were, but at the same time i still get " You just got the damn thing. enjoy it before turning it into Frankenstein's monster" LOL

I don't want an old school looking low v neck vest, and i don't want a collar around my neck like the one i have. I DEFINITELY don't want to be one of those Sons of Anarchy posers. I wear my vest in the summer (lately just a t shirt which isn't safe), and also the fall with a hoodie or sweater. When it's really cold i wear my riding jacket. I'll take a look at First Mfg. I also just mentioned i found a decent one from Milwaukee Leather. Not sure how good they are, but reviews are positive, and made in America
Villain is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'08 Sportster 1200C - Need new seat - Looking for Recommendations GuitarKidd Sportster General Discussions 18 07-12-2017 02:58 PM
2015 Heritage Classic New Seat? Any recommendations? Firefour Softail General Discussions 7 07-12-2015 04:36 PM
Any tool recommendations... *Paladin* General Service and Repair 31 04-01-2010 04:35 PM
2010 Iron, Need a Shift Light, any recommendations? luxlamf Sportster General Discussions 13 12-21-2009 10:15 PM
HELP - Looking for good set of rear 11" shocks - any recommendations dmcgrath Sportster General Discussions 1 07-03-2008 01:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome