Looking for a New Vest - Any Recommendations? - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Outlaw

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
and made in America
This one says "Made in Pakistan", but like I said my intention was to use it for a pattern because a XLT is not an easy find in lower budget vests. I wanted collarless this time around, lace up sides are a must for ventilation, snaps because I also bought chain extenders (again for ventilation), but I like breast's,,,,, err I mean breast pockets, lower pockets and at least one inside pocket for my cigars and cell phone. Gloves stay in the lower right pocket, lower left has some of my nitro pills and some basic first aid stuff, some para-cord, along with a Tic-Tac box I keep tooth picks in. Upper left is smoking materials and upper right has a little more first aid stuff along with business cards and receipts. Every pocket has a purpose, and since I'm a mechanic I never know what I'm riding an hour from now at least I know my basics are in the vest.

And my thoughts on making a new one include a couple extra inside pockets the right size for 4 inch gauze pads. Granted the level of first aid stuff I carry is a bit much for most, but those who have seen the carnage that can happen on the roads know exactly why I do.

As for the bike, I've got 4 inch Rinehart slip-on's on it now and it sounds sweet, I went for the 3.5's for this extreme system but my thinking is with the full 2 inch pipes it should still sound pretty good, especially with the S&S 107 making the noise in the first place.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 PM
JLR

Quote:
i found a decent one from Milwaukee Leather. Not sure how good they are, but reviews are positive, and made in America
I'm not sure if it's the same company, but my wife's boots are Milwaukee's. Seem to be well made.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M View Post
This one says "Made in Pakistan", but like I said my intention was to use it for a pattern because a XLT is not an easy find in lower budget vests. I wanted collarless this time around, lace up sides are a must for ventilation, snaps because I also bought chain extenders (again for ventilation), but I like breast's,,,,, err I mean breast pockets, lower pockets and at least one inside pocket for my cigars and cell phone. Gloves stay in the lower right pocket, lower left has some of my nitro pills and some basic first aid stuff, some para-cord, along with a Tic-Tac box I keep tooth picks in. Upper left is smoking materials and upper right has a little more first aid stuff along with business cards and receipts. Every pocket has a purpose, and since I'm a mechanic I never know what I'm riding an hour from now at least I know my basics are in the vest.

And my thoughts on making a new one include a couple extra inside pockets the right size for 4 inch gauze pads. Granted the level of first aid stuff I carry is a bit much for most, but those who have seen the carnage that can happen on the roads know exactly why I do.

As for the bike, I've got 4 inch Rinehart slip-on's on it now and it sounds sweet, I went for the 3.5's for this extreme system but my thinking is with the full 2 inch pipes it should still sound pretty good, especially with the S&S 107 making the noise in the first place.
Wow, those are some full pockets! I totally understand. If your vest holds up well after years of filling all those compartments constantly, then you'll know it's well made. I also need lots of compartments in my jackets, and vests. I don't have saddle bags, so it's a must. It's better to be ready for anything, than not at all.

I'm sure those Rineharts sound amazing with that beast of an engine. Moco must have an agreement with the aftermarket guys to make our bikes quiet, so we can spend our money with them and make them sound the way they are supposed to sound.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
I'm not sure if it's the same company, but my wife's boots are Milwaukee's. Seem to be well made.
Thanks JLR. I think i'll give the Milwaukee vest a shot. It's got lots of compartments (concealed carry too, not that i will use it for that since i live in NJ ), the reviews are great, and the leather looks like its good quality and thickness 1.2mm-1.3mm
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 AM
Outlaw

Garage
Quote:
It's better to be ready for anything, than not at all.
Absolutely!!

Quote:
I'm sure those Rineharts sound amazing with that beast of an engine. Moco must have an agreement with the aftermarket guys to make our bikes quiet, so we can spend our money with them and make them sound the way they are supposed to sound.
I'm thinking they will, gonna find out as soon as I get the beast back in one piece.

As for the Moco, they make motorcycles, and motorcycles have to meet government regulations and standards. The aftermarket companies make parts, pipes, motors, etc and there are no government regulations and standards for what they produce, and some even label their products "For Off Road Use". So while some areas may restrict what you can legally do to your bike with fines, denial of registration or impounding, once you buy it from the Moco it's pretty much yours so if you choose to eliminate the stuff the government makes the Moco do to make it compliant they can't be blamed, fined, or shut down.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM
old scoot coot

Garage
leather up has some pretty nice one's well below fox creek prices. i've been wearing one for several years. i will get back to you on the brand logo.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:20 AM

For leather

Made in The USA and "Guaranteed 4 Life"
https://liljoesleather.com/products/soa-vest

For denim

https://liljoesleather.com/products/...gic-denim-vest

09 HD SG Feuling 525's, PC-V Rinehart Slimline Duals 4 inch Rinehart Slipons,Baker Compensator-86 HP-96 TQ a bunch of other pricey items
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M View Post
Absolutely!!

I'm thinking they will, gonna find out as soon as I get the beast back in one piece.

As for the Moco, they make motorcycles, and motorcycles have to meet government regulations and standards. The aftermarket companies make parts, pipes, motors, etc and there are no government regulations and standards for what they produce, and some even label their products "For Off Road Use". So while some areas may restrict what you can legally do to your bike with fines, denial of registration or impounding, once you buy it from the Moco it's pretty much yours so if you choose to eliminate the stuff the government makes the Moco do to make it compliant they can't be blamed, fined, or shut down.
That's right. I wasn't factoring in state to state emissions and regulations. It also gives us the opportunity to customize our bikes the way we want.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytailspin View Post
leather up has some pretty nice one's well below fox creek prices. i've been wearing one for several years. i will get back to you on the brand logo.
Thanks Tommy. I actually found the Milwaukee vest on Leather up. It also looks like fox creek doesn't have the collarless one i'm looking for.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsm13 View Post
Thanks Lionsm13. I can't believe they are actually calling the vest in the first pic the Sons of Anarchy vest. They are marketing to the MC community, or ones who want to look like they are in a MC.

It looks like a quality vest though, and there is an option to have the collar removed, which is what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode