Route 66 VS the Lincoln Highway - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 12Likes
  • 4 Post By Durango Dave
  • 1 Post By kd5cqt
  • 5 Post By MotoJockey
  • 1 Post By Haus
  • 1 Post By PecosRiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Route 66 VS the Lincoln Highway

Which is a better, more enjoyable, more scenic route to take across the country?

Lincoln Highway was built in 1913 as the first highway across the US (New York to San Francisco).

Route 66 was built in 1926 and goes from Chicago to Los Angeles (actually Santa Monica if you want to be exact)

I think Route 66 is overrated and too touristy.

I have ridden my Electra Glide on many miles of both highways.

Both highways have been upgraded and replaced but I think you can ride on more of the old Lincoln highway. Much of Route 66 has been replaced by Interstates 40, 44 and 55.

On the other hand when they replaced the Lincoln Highway with Interstate 80 they built the interstate separate from the Lincoln Highway. Yes, that's a generalization. Their are many sections of the old Route 66 that still run parallel to the Interstate.

I am thinking of taking my Harley on the entire length of the Lincoln Highway across the US next year. That would entail riding to New York then to San Francisco then back home in Durango, the equivalent of going across the US twice.

I've taken my current cycle to 49 states
Here's my Alaska adventure:
https://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...ml#post7131799

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 PM
Mississippi Cajun

Dave, although I have not made either ride, I have a friend here who did Rt. 66 several years ago. He says it was a good ride, but so much of the road is no longer there and sometimes hard to find where it is substituted by something else. Of course his wheels were turning and he was sitting on the Harley, so he had a good time.
Durango Dave likes this.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:15 PM

Garage
I've driven I-80 a few times in a car before, and ridden parts of the western Rt. 66 on occasion by bike, but when I do my 1st cross-country trip in a few years after I retire, I want to go US-50 from Sacramento, CA to Ocean City, MD. It's supposed to be a very rural/slow route, which is more up my alley, especially if I'm retired!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gittin' My Kicks.........jpg
Views:	31
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	760663  

Click image for larger version

Name:	us-route-50-map.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	760687  

"Life long student at the School of Hard Knocks!"

2014 Street Glide Special
2003 Road King 100 Anniversary

Last edited by MotoJockey; 08-23-2019 at 08:10 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 AM

Lincoln Highway is Rt30, last pic was map of 50...if plan to ride it shoot me a msg, I live right off it in Joliet IL..can meet up for a drink.
I have caged it from Chicago to CO before. Lots of stupid things on it like on old Rt66.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Durango Dave likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haus View Post
Lincoln Highway is Rt30, last pic was map of 50...if plan to ride it shoot me a msg, I live right off it in Joliet IL..can meet up for a drink.
Thanks. The Lincoln Highway is 30 most of the route but In Wyoming it cuts down to Utah and merges with highway 50. I have decided to take both highways. From Colorado I'll take 50 to the east cost. Then I'll get on The Lincoln Highway. Here's a map of the Lincoln Highway. It was made in 1913.

The Lincoln Highway starts in Midtown Manhattan. I'm not too crazy about the New York traffic. I'd like to take the original 1913 Lincoln Highway built long before the Interstate. That means I'll be taking city streets from Midtown Manhattan through New York and New Jersey. It's only 100 miles to Philadelphia but Google Maps says I'll average 25 mph. (that's 4 hours) After leaving Philadelphia I'll be able to get on the small highways.
Here's a cool interactive map of the Lincoln Highway.
https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:43 PM
Vile Deplorable

I used to follow a RV'er on YouTube that did the Lincoln Highway. The one thing that caused him concern was the lack of gas stations. I've thought about the Lincoln since I've done most of 66, but it's not time for me to do it. A friend and professional photog did Rte. 50 and that intrigues me too. He ran that route for HOG magazine
Durango Dave likes this.

Just another former Chicago garbageman,
now living the country life,
selling crap and over-priced gas
to tourists & locals from my country store.
Life is good.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:40 PM

If running 50, be sure to get the Passport Book for Nevada then stop along the way to get it stamped. Then send in for your Loneliest Road in America certificate! But all across 50 buy gas and use restroom when you can, don't wait until you need to!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
If running 50, be sure to get the Passport Book for Nevada then stop along the way to get it stamped. Then send in for your Loneliest Road in America certificate! But all across 50 buy gas and use restroom when you can, don't wait until you need to!
In Nevada and California the Lincoln Highway is highway 50. I have already ridden the Loneliest Highway across Nevada. I had to stop at each gas station I saw (the only exceptions were when a town had 2 gas stations). I can go 200 miles on a tank. Those gas stops were 100 miles apart so that means if I were to skip a gas station I would see the next gas station just before ( or maybe just after) running out of gas. That's too risky to skip a gas station.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode