Harley Davidson Forums banner

Deer Safety

28K views 95 replies 51 participants last post by  I Finally Got One! 
#1 ·
If you had to ride at night thru deer country, what is the safest way to proceed, based on your experience. Speed is an obvious factor but I was wondering, especially on lightly traveled roads whether you would feel more comfortable staying separated from traffic moving the same direction or staying close enough to traffic that they act as a "shield" or front door"?

#2 ·
I have seen deer run between riders that were riding pretty close, in broad daylight even. I'm sure the same could occur after dark. So, I wouldn't depend on being close to traffic and thinking I was "shielded" in any manner. Can't be too cautious in deer country ESPECIALLY this time of year.

#3 ·
I ride not thinking about it. If I rode in fear of smacking a deer all the time, I'd be so tense. It wouldn't be enjoyable. Also, if I'm tense, I seem to react slower.

Other than that, just ride whatever speed you deem appropriate. I typically do 60 on every 2 lane.

Although, if I'm on a deer heavy road, I don't use my highway pegs. I keep my hands and feet close to the controls. I stay semi-relaxed.

Edit: This post is coming from a guy who rides through deer country every time I fire up my bike. Doesn't matter what direction I go, deer everywhere.

#4 ·
Deer move more in the evening so are definitely a danger riding at night through the woods. They can jump up right next to you, and before you know it, they're doing their version of the escape the wolf dance right in front of you, and you may end up having one trying to become your passenger. While you're worrying about the deer, be advised that you have the smaller critters such as possum, armadillo, *****, etc. trying to share the road with you (I managed to T-bone a possum one evening and it launched my '04 Ultra and me....made a safe landing, but it cured me of riding back roads at night). Basically, just my opinion for what little that is worth, the only definite thing I can tell you about riding at night and deer encounters is that there is nothing definite I can tell you (nor can most people) about riding at night and deer encounters.

Reactions: n8schmitz
#5 ·
I wouldn't ride closely behind someone else, they're sure to stand on their brakes as soon as they see the deer...

Also, I've known 2 dudes that got t-boned BY the deer.

Best bet, keep your eyes open, especially on wooded roadsways.

#6 ·
In the 90's I came close enough to a deer for her to spin my left mirror around with her noggin.

When my spidey senses are tingling I slow down and cover the rear (I always cover the front and clutch).

Stay safe.

Reactions: Motor Man
#7 ·
Similar to Andy, I live in the country and deer are everywhere. I had 3 young buck deer feeding in my back yard this morning. And I mean, 25 yards from the back door.

Deer are totally unpredictable. But if you see a doe cross, MANY times she will have young following her (yearlings or fawns) and they will be hell bent for leather to keep up with mom. I really favor the center line where I hopefully increase the time I have to react to deer coming from my right side.

About 10 years ago, at approx 1AM I was riding home from work. I was about the equivalent of 4 blocks from home (we ain't got "blocks" where I live) and rounded a curve. Due to the familiarity I had with this road I was going about twice the speed limit, tired, just wantin' to get home and go to bed. There were at least 3 deer STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! All I had time to do was clinch the tank with my knees and lock up the brakes front and rear. Ain't real sure to this day how I negotiated the rest of the curve, but I was aiming Right At the deer. They were gone. Kind of like NASCAR drivers aiming at the wreck occuring in front of them.

Point is, do NOT get yourself into a situation where you are trying to dodge deer. At least not whitetail deer. That is the most unpredictable animal to ever inhabit the North American continent. From that day on, when in rural areas frequented by deer, I keep on finger covering front brake, hands and feet at the controls at ALL times.

#8 ·
I live in a very deer infested area and have no choice. Riding home from the late shift in 07, a big buck got me. I slowed, he moved, I moved, he struck me. I rolled up in a ball and beside the road until a road sign stopped me, breaking my leg. While I'm rolling, my bike is still rolling with forward controls holding it up. Cut that summer short (it was August) and am now equipped with a piece of steel and other hardware in my leg.

I have had the worst luck with deer. I've been t-boned on the bike, while driving the wife's car, my mother's car. Have hit several in my truck, but no damage to that big old thing. Everyone in our community has a deer story or stories to tell. I know 2 ladies where the deer kicked in their back quarter panels.

I ride much much less at night now.

FWIW, a coworker of my wife had a wild boar ram her vehicle on her way to work last week, same route my wife takes.

I can give no advice other than slow down, where there is one, there will be more. Wild turkeys are a pain, but somehow they communicate with deer, so where you see wild turkey, deer are probably nearby.

Stay safe to all.

#10 ·
Deer are as dumb as rocks. I have been at a dead stop in my red Dodge pickup truck, waiting on deer to finish crossing the road and then out of the blue one of them ran smack into the side of the truck. Best advice I can give is ride slow, spend the money on a headlight upgrades (I am looking at getting the daymakers for my old softail), and ride closer to the center line of the road to leave yourself the widest possible field of visibility and a little extra room for reacting.

#11 ·
In my Ford Ranger, t-boned by a buck one late night just north of Oconomoc, WI. Just slammed into the right door. All I saw was hooves and antlers. Truck became extremely difficult drive! Not damage by the deer though. The 90# Lab who had been snoozing on the seat next to me was now sitting in my lap! Scared the crap outta him! And that was my 3rd encounter with deer, the other two on bikes. One I made out OK, the other had multiple consequences. Was due to be discharged from the USAF that month, broke my ankle, extended in service for convenience of govm't. Bummer.

#12 ·
I ride with a 30/30 saddle rifle this time of year......

Keeps me safe and the freezer is full. And the antlers look great on my bike!!!

Jk- I agree with Andy, if you ride all tense your gonna jack up your reaction times! Slow and safe, always give cagers distance because they will slam on the brakes!!!

#14 ·
:rofl:

--

#15 ·
Deer are most active at dawn and dusk. But as harvest season gets on its way, those farm machines flush them out of the fields and spook the hell out of them. At least in the dark you can see eye balls glow or see them dash in front of oncoming headlights.

A lot of highways here in Indiana have railroads that run along side them. The trains will also spook them into running out into traffic.

September is bow hunting season here. Later comes rifle season and that will be spooking them into dashing into traffic. November is rut season and the males get even more stupid because they are fighting of the females.

When I hit mine last year, it was September, they just started cutting a corn in a field where they deer came from. The one I tangled with came from my left. He jumped between 2 semis in the east bound lanes so I didn't see him when he cleared them and shot into the median. I was looking right and then when I turned to look left the little bastard was hopping out of the median right in front of me. I was doing 65 and he was too..BAM! I didn't see them but 2 more ran across behind me. There is never just 1 deer.

In the mornings I watch all the sides of the road both my lanes and the ones on the left. I don't listen to the radio at all. I force all my attention on watching the sides of the road.

Ride safe, ride sober my friends

#16 ·
@ Da Mack.. thanks for the pics on that hit last year, I've had my helmet for a year now, won't ride with out it.. thanks bro!

Riding in deer country at night, stay alert, scan that road for those damn green eyes, you see those, get on the brakes...

#17 ·
Also, always remember this, when you see a deer on the side of the road (or in the road) there are more that you haven't seen yet. There are always more. Don't be fooled when you see a deer cross half a mile ahead of you because it's already across, start slowing down now because three more of the buggers are about to follow across.

#18 ·
This.

Plus, they wander. They don't know what roads are. They aren't waiting to cross the road in a straight line. They may double back, travel lateral to the road. They do whatever the eff they want, right up to the point when they kill themselves and you.

#23 ·
when riding in groups CB radio is a life saver - 2 years ago my buddy came on radio said "watch that blue car up there" I slowed down to 30mph when I got close it pulled right in front of me I got sideways but kept it upright missed the car ok. last year on the beartooth ride - we were going about 50mph a deer was running at us from the right I got on radio said " deer on the right" larry behind me started braking did not see the deer - he hit the deer going about 20mph knoked it down damage to batwing lights but kept the bike upright. give me a CB radio and a few extra eyes and I am ready to go

#25 ·
I agree with all the good advice. I recently did some training for doing personnel transport and one of the things that came out of that is to use your brights all the time, especially from twilight on and until after dawn. When you aren't blinding others, of course.

If you don't have oncoming traffic, turn on your brights and keep them on as long as possible. This throws more light down the road. If there are critters out there, you'll see the flash in their eyes sooner.

Of course, with deer, if you see one, there are several more in the trees or bushes heading your way. Slow down and prepare to stop.

Your exhaust sound will flush them, quite often, so expect sudden flurries of deer crossing the road when you do see them.

I also plan to upgrade my lights. The Daymakers reach farther down the road and will light up the eyes of the critters sooner. All the more advanced warning for you.

Stay alert, stay relaxed. Keep the rubber side down.

#26 ·
You got to figure that a critter that can hear a watch tick at 35', and that has absolutely excellent night vision because it's eyes gather the faintest light...Think about how blinded they are after one tiny glance of headlight, and the sound of a Harley just fills the woods with racket so loud they can't even identify the source.

Being a "prey animal" they just gonna absolutely freak out and either freeze in their tracks or take off zig zagging in every direction. Unpredictable.

#27 ·
Also, for those that think loud pipes help... they don't. Had a couple of em run like hell, only to double back and cross the road in front of me.

#28 ·
I live in central Kansas and ride 2 lane roads 30 miles 1 way to work. I see deer and turkey nearly every day.

I have had a few close calls over the years and the best advice I can give...keep your head up and scanning constantly. This doesn't mean stay tense it means stay aware.

When I see deer anywhere near the roadway I start to slow immediately. If they stand in the ditch staring at me I will come to a complete stop and blare the horn until they decide where to go. As has been mentioned, deer will side-swipe you even in broad daylight. They panic, they run, sometimes smack into you.

If it's dark, let your ability to see be your guide or "Don't outrun your headlights." I've heard it said.

#29 ·
A friend of mine has a deer sensor on his Ultra, don't ask me how it works but it has a high pitch whine when it detects deer or I'm guessing any large animal at least 200-300 feet ahead and emits the sound. He said he has seen it work, day and nighttime, it came with the bike when he bought it from a friend.

#32 ·
There are electronic versions of the standard air driven "deer whistles" and even though some law enforcement entities have claimed significant reduction in patrol car/deer collisions since installing the air powered models on fleets of vehicles the consensus is...none of them actually work.

#35 ·
They don't work. Deer that run onto roadways appear to be in such state of confusion or panic that nothing scares them off. A couple of years ago, a guy was seriously injured while riding on the parkway. He was hit by the deer. He didn't run it over, it t-boned him.

Pete

#33 ·
Deer are difficult animals to avoid. They are well camouflaged, fast as hell and more suicidal than Mohammed the bomber. When riding at night, having plenty of lighting helps a lot. I have a Truck-Lites phase seven 7" LED headlight and a pair of 1500 lumen LED lights on the crash bars.

The 7" LED, in addition to lighting up the road in from of the bike also lights up the side of the road for quite a distance. The crash bar lights are aimed to help add to the field of view that the headlight provides.

One of the real dangers of riding at night is that any animal - deer, possum, dog or whatever is often not picked up by the bikes lights until it is very close to the road. By then there isn't much that you can do. My lighting configuration lets me see animals when they are quite a distance from the road.

Even if you are riding on a road that has very little clear distance between the edge of the road and the woods, having good peripheral lighting can light up a deer's eyes, even in heavy woods.

Where I live in western NC deer are everywhere. The neighborhood where I live has dozens of them. I even have to be careful pulling onto my driveway.

The unpleasant truth is that most riders never see the deer that they hit and the rate of death and serious injury to motorcyclists from hitting deer is unexpectedly high. It is interesting that the survival rate for riders who do not see the deer that they hit is notably higher than it is for riders who do see deer and try to avoid it.

I know people who live in areas where the deer populations are so high that they refuse to ride at night. I consider deer to be at the top of the list of hazards when I ride.

Deer are insane! It does not matter if you are riding alone or in a group. A deer is just as likely to run in front of you on the Blue Ridge Parkway, riding by yourself late at night as it is to charge between a line of semi trucks. It has been documented that younger deer tend to be the ones who get freaked out and run into traffic. Older deer usually develop ways of crossing roads safely.

Pete

#38 ·
Where I live in western NC deer are everywhere. The neighborhood where I live has dozens of them. I even have to be careful pulling onto my driveway.

I know people who live in areas where the deer populations are so high that they refuse to ride at night. I consider deer to be at the top of the list of hazards when I ride.

Pete
It sounds like you live somewhere very near me. I'm in Yancey County...can I ask which county you are in?

#34 ·
Last week on 101 about 11am. A buck was standing on side of road in the shade of some brush. Never saw him till he took off running up the side of the road. Doing about 70 in truck. It was over in second, blew right past him. No harm no foul, this time.

#36 ·
They're called deer horns and they do not work. Some people swear by them...even make excuses when they hit deer with them on their vehicles. These people are potential buyers of ocean front property in Kansas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.