Attaboy for Local Cop - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Mississippi Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman1340 View Post
I can't believe anyone who owns a motorcycle and rides to Daytona for bike week wouldn't have a helmet with them. They are lucky to run into a nice cop.
You betcha. Big ticket item for sure. This guy was one of the good guys.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
Per the previous post I'm sure the riders' attitude and demeanor played a part in the very good treatment they received. However, riding into another state(s) without finding out in advance about helmet laws ain't very smart.

Completely agree Joe. My son and I were riding in southern Ohio and crossed over into WV to hit Hillbilly Hotdogs (Shameless plug, but they are really good), On our way back we get pulled over by local Sheriff for no helmet. He said WV has mandatory law. I think he was waiting on us to complain, but my son speaks up and says, "If we are going to leave the state we have to know the laws." We both apologized, grabbed our lids and got away with a warning. I completely feel that our reaction had a great deal to do with the outcome. Same thing can be said for local CCW reciprocity laws. If your going to carry, you have to know the rules...

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.." Robert Hunter
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM

Garage
Recently I ran out of gas about a half mile from a gas station on a state highway. I headed on foot towards the station/ convenience store, and was hailed from across the four lane road by a state trooper, he called for me to cross and asked if that was my bike back down the road. After explaining my stupid predicament, he said get in and we'll go get you some gas. We did just that and he returned me to my bike and waited for me to get it started. I thanked him and away we went . What a nice young man he was, I am very glad to know that these guys are out there to serve and protect.
ziggy likes this.

Geezer72

"Let's Roll"

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer72 View Post
Recently I ran out of gas about a half mile from a gas station on a state highway. I headed on foot towards the station/ convenience store, and was hailed from across the four lane road by a state trooper, he called for me to cross and asked if that was my bike back down the road. After explaining my stupid predicament, he said get in and we'll go get you some gas. We did just that and he returned me to my bike and waited for me to get it started. I thanked him and away we went . What a nice young man he was, I am very glad to know that these guys are out there to serve and protect.
Great that you posted that. Hope you dropped a note of praise in the mail to his Chief.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM

Good story and outcome.

I'm in a must wear state. One evening after a softball game I was following my wife in her car on my bike. For some reason I can't remember she pulled over so I pulled over behind her and walked to the car. While there discussing whatever it was we were discussing I took my helmet off and put it on the back seat.

Our discussion ended and before I realized I didn't have my helmet she took off in the car. I was only about 4 miles from home and with no cell phone (yes, this is back in the no cell phone days) I had no choice but to ride. Two miles later I get pulled over by a highway patrol officer. Of course the first question was "where is your helmet". I explained the situation thinking "no way is he going to buy it." He took a look at my license, registration and insurance card, made a call on his radio and told me to head out and be careful going home...no ticket.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer72 View Post
Most of the DPS are pretty good eggs , it's the local yokes you have to look out for .
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Indecisive Member

Garage
Chalk another one up for the boys in blue.

My question though. Why would one of the two people on the bike be wearing a helmet and not the other?

Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association CVMA Chapter 23-1 VETS HELPING VETS

2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 VT1100C - sold
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
S&S 95" Big Bore
Woods TW-5-6 R Cams
Woods RCC2 Hydraulic Cam Conversion
Arlen Ness Derby Sucker
Vance & Hines Slipons
Power Commander 5

Anyone wanna give me a gopro?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Mississippi Cajun

If you're referring to my original post, neither had a helmet, and the lady was buying 2 of them. Hubby was left behind to guard the motorcycle.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:55 AM
luv the low country

Learning the look where you want to go technique.

If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under. Ronald Reagan
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage
Was traveling from southern Ohio into West Virginia one day with my son. It was hot and we ditched the helmets in WV which is a must wear state. We both got pulled over. The deputy mentioned that since we were from Ohio we probably didn't know about WV helmet laws. I told the officer, "That's no excuse, If I'm going to ride in West by God Virginia I need to know the laws." I am confident that is why we didn't get a ticket. We put on our lids, thanked the officers, and went on our way. I think the last thing a police officer wants to hear is you telling him a reason why it isn't your fault that you can 't follow the law.
candyman1340 likes this.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.." Robert Hunter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode