Another Close Call and idot police dispatcher - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Wayward Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
Yo, Darryl, ya gotta cup holder on that big ole Harley? I bet a cup holder would hold an aerosol can of pepper spray.
Yes.

Quote:
Oh, and if you ain't got no stinkin' pepper spray I bet you have an aerosol spray can of wasp & hornet killer.
No. Not the dogs fault.
Now. If you mean for the careless owner.
Trashman and 1/2 Ton like this.

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW
1L/TWF
🖕♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️🖕
🇺🇸 R.E.D.

People are why I love Dogs and my Harley.
💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
09-08-17
🐾No longer by my side. Forever in my heart.🐾
🖤Bear, Brute, Jessie James, Billy the Kid, Aiyana🖤
ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee
No such thing as just a Dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Mississippi Cajun

Have pepper and wasp sprays, and also have the Leg Cannon which I hadn't been carrying, but after today, it will be with me. Said mutt tries to eat my bike, best he can hope for is that I make him crap his guts out when he hears that loud boom next to his head. Or I could just carry the .22 loaded with rat shot. Either way, I don't think I'd have any more problems with said mutt. And for the record, the very thought of hurting a dog makes me ill, but I've already done the slide down the road and lost a lot of skin on my arms (through a riding jacket no less) and also lost a very nice Fat Boy to that stupid Pit Bull. Not willing to go through that ordeal again.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 PM

Pepper and wasp sprays aren't going to seriously injure the dog--doubt if you could get more than a quick spray on target with you moving and him REALLY moving after he catches a whiff of your spray. But I bet even a quick spray on his snout would change the dogs habit of trying to eat your bike.

Now a firearm is gonna make a real loud noise. Are there houses in the area where this dog attack usually occurs? You know how people can react to hearing a gunshot and the end result could be more than you want it to be. Personally, I would try the "spray" route first. Ain't nobody gonna hear a little "Whiiiiif" outta your aerosol can and if the dog's yelping after catching some spray in the face draws attention folks will likely think the dumbass dog got his leg run over.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
Throw a doughnut at the dog as you pass, the dog will stop chasing you if you bribe him with a treat.
Do this every time you see him.
If it happens often enough the dog will start to get too fat and lazy to chase you.
It will just lay on the porch and bark as you pass , then waddle down to the curb ,sniffing around to see if you tossed him a treat.
SoftailBilly and 3beards like this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 PM
Wayward Son

Quote:
Pepper and wasp sprays aren't going to seriously injure the dog--doubt if you could get more than a quick spray on target with you moving and him REALLY moving after he catches a whiff of your spray. But I bet even a quick spray on his snout would change the dogs habit of trying to eat your bike.

Now a firearm is gonna make a real loud noise. Are there houses in the area where this dog attack usually occurs? You know how people can react to hearing a gunshot and the end result could be more than you want it to be. Personally, I would try the "spray" route first. Ain't nobody gonna hear a little "Whiiiiif" outta your aerosol can and if the dog's yelping after catching some spray in the face draws attention folks will likely think the dumbass dog got his leg run over.
Let me spray some in your eyes and see what happens.

Agree that pepper spray is a viable non-lethal or potentially crippling option.
Trashman likes this.

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW
1L/TWF
🇺🇸 R.E.D.

💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
09-08-17
ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:21 PM

Stop in and see owner. You have a way with words sir.
Thunder~Struck likes this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Outlaw

Garage
I found some Bear spray at WalMart that came with a holster, kind of expensive but a few zip ties and it's mounted on the side of the E glide. And it helped resolve my dog problems with my neighbor, got the dog good one time, now when she needs reminding I just hold my arm out like I'm holding a can of spray and she's running home.

And I would spray the neighbor, but since he's a 80+ year old vet it would just land me in jail. But's I've sure thought about it.
I almost feel sorry for him, he can't even enjoy his front porch, poor man seems to have skunks spraying his porch in the middle of the night, mainly on nights I can't sleep, and it always seems to happen when my security cameras are offline.

(sometimes, karma just needs a little help)

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder~Struck View Post
Let me spray some in your eyes and see what happens.

Agree that pepper spray is a viable non-lethal or potentially crippling option.
You're right. I therefore "walk back" my suggestion regarding wasp/hornet spray. Go for some pepper spray. Really don't want to risk any serious injury to anyone's dog; however, as the dog's owner ain't gonna fix the problem, something has to convince the dog trying to eat motorcycles and/or riders is gonna cause them at least some maybe serious discomfort and there are better things for the dog to do.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 AM
2004 Ultra Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftailBilly View Post
Stop in and see owner. You have a way with words sir.
I agree.

"A man will rust before he wears out". Colonel Harland Sanders

"You can shear a sheep many times. You can skin it only once". Amarillo Slim AKA Thomas Austin Preston Jr.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Wayward Son

Quote:
You're right. I therefore "walk back" my suggestion regarding wasp/hornet spray. Go for some pepper spray. Really don't want to risk any serious injury to anyone's dog; however, as the dog's owner ain't gonna fix the problem, something has to convince the dog trying to eat motorcycles and/or riders is gonna cause them at least some maybe serious discomfort and there are better things for the dog to do.

FWIW
Dogs chasing anything does not always mean they want to eat it.
Our Rotti Abe chases stray cats in the backyard all the time.
On the rare occasions he has caught one all he has done is pin it down with his nose. Sort of like "Tag. Your it."
While, yes, the consequences to Daryl could be ugly.
Many times a dog chasing something is for the thrill of the chase only.
Dogs get bored just like humans.

Just say`in.....

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW
1L/TWF
🇺🇸 R.E.D.

💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
09-08-17
ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode