How To Pick Up Bike - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
JaxKing

Garage
How To Pick Up Bike

Ill be honest and admit that I have laid my bike on its side recently. Now this is due to awkward footing on my part when I stopped and not keeping control of the weight. Thankfully, I was stopped and the layover was gentle. Neither the bike or I was hurt. However I expect my ego was more bruised than the bikes. Im not sure if I could have picked it up by myself. Thanks to a Good Samaritan who stoppped we got it up in short order and I climbed back on and rode away.

What is the best way to pick up an 800 lb bike (2010 Road King) by yourself? I am 65 and not as strong as I used to be, but think I can get it up if I can just get the right leverage.
1/2 Ton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage

Scott
2014 Ultra Classic
All LED lighting otherwise bone stock.
K-I-S-S Keepin' It Simple Stupid.
USMC veteran.
NRA LIFE Member

Drinking and riding is fine ... just don't do it in that order
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:26 AM

Garage
When using the Harley method, he needs to get his ass even with the seat, not his knees.
JPR, Breeze3at, 1/2 Ton and 1 others like this.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:32 AM

Garage
SCHMIDTY, GotGold, 1/2 Ton and 1 others like this.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Videos don't load for me so not sure if this is covered but look around first. Frequently the reason for the drop, may also make picking it up a challenge. Gravel, oil, uneven terrain can cause you to drop it and if you are too quick to try and pick it up, the same issues will make it harder to pick it back up. I know it is embarrassing to have your mighty steed laying down, but relax and know the surroundings, and maybe just snack on some crow and let someone come help. There is trying to pick up an 800 pound bike, then there is trying to do the same, with some oil residue on your soles...

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:08 AM

Garage
I can't bend my knees enough to grab the rear crash bar. I carry a soft tie (12" double loop strap) in a saddlebag. With it looped around the rear bar and my hand, I am able to get my knees bent enough to lift the bike. And I do it s l o w l y, tiny step, tiny step.

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
JaxKing

Garage
Great idea on the strap! On some days, my knees just don't want to cooperate. That plus a couple of back surgeries in my past...

Getting old ain't for sissies!

Jack Oliver
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Try doing those lifts on gravel or grass ! Front tire likes to slide. Another thing is to remove as much weight off the bike before lifting, bags off, empty the tourpak etc..

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 PM

How to pick up a bike vireos are crap. Dropped my FXSTC in drive way. No saddle bags no crash bars. Just about busted a vein picking up 700+ lying flat on ground. Still waiting for them to show that video. Not a Sporty or baggers laying over against bags and crash bars. Suggested that to dealer demo picking up a bike by smallest gal in attendance. Hey lay that Fatboy on ground flat. Silence was deafening.
uncas, 1/2 Ton and Jack Oliver like this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:53 PM
weird member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftailBilly View Post
How to pick up a bike vireos are crap. Dropped my FXSTC in drive way. No saddle bags no crash bars. Just about busted a vein picking up 700+ lying flat on ground. Still waiting for them to show that video. Not a Sporty or baggers laying over against bags and crash bars. Suggested that to dealer demo picking up a bike by smallest gal in attendance. Hey lay that Fatboy on ground flat. Silence was deafening.
The one time I dropped my FXSTC (the now wrecked one), It was on the right side, no highway bars or anything, all the way flat. The front had slid out in some sand turning into a parking lot.

I stood facing the bike, grabbed the handlebar and the seat, flipped it completely over the other side like a pancake. It didn't get vertical then fall to the left, I literally flipped it. But mine is an Evo, not a TC so it was only 650-ish lbs and I am young. Plus I had adrenaline pumping, both from going down and the embarassment of doing it in front of other people.

Needless to say, when I picked it up from it's left side, I went a little slower, ha ha. But I was able to get mine up without a struggle using the first technique in the first video. But, the foot rest acted like a fulcrum to get it from flat to resting on the footrest and tires, so that helped too.
1/2 Ton and Jack Oliver like this.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode