1992 Fatboy - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Question 1992 Fatboy

I need advice. My bike was acting like it was running out of gas even with a full tank of fuel, at first I thought it was vapor lock and I re-routed the fuel line and still had the same issue so I finally took it to the local dealer and they found the casting in the carburetor that the float pin goes through was worn oval causing the float to stay up closing the fuel flow. The dealer replaced the carburetor and I road it home. Now the bike sounds different hard to describe but on the highway the exhaust sounds very distinct, almost like you can hear each cylinder fire rather then blending together like it use to sound, the power is just the same. Also now it will backfire from the carburetor only while not under a load, no matter which gear or what speed.
Any ideas why it sounds different and why the backfiring? The dealer wants to put it on their dyno to find the problem and I have it scheduled to go next weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Chubby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Banned

sounds like the carb might have a bit of an air leak around a seal (backfire under no load)
did the match the jets to your old jets?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Your carb has been wearing out for a while and you just got used to the sound of your bike over time . The spit back through the carb is probably a seal leak like RB1 stated or the dealer didn't bother installing a fatter pilot jet .

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM

How is a dyno run going to find this problem? They need to take the carb off and see what they did wrong.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check for an air leak.
While riding yesterday I noticed that with the enricher slightly out it didn't have any problem that does indicate to me an air leak as you said.
I did ask if they checked that the jet was the same and they said they didn't, not sure why, seems like it would have been the thing to do to me.
I don't know what putting the bike on the dyno would tell them, I wondered that myself.
Rockerbox1, I need to know how you got a photo of my wifes chest for your avatar?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
I {Heart} Hookers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
Rockerbox1, I need to know how you got a photo of my wifes chest for your avatar?
I'll vote YES for that ............

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Retired citizen

Garage
[QUOTE=chubby;375602]Thanks, I'll check for an air leak.
While riding yesterday I noticed that with the enricher slightly out it didn't have any problem that does indicate to me an air leak as you said.
I did ask if they checked that the jet was the same and they said they didn't, not sure why, seems like it would have been the thing to do to me.
I don't know what putting the bike on the dyno would tell them, I wondered that myself.
Rockerbox1, I need to know how you got a photo of my wifes chest for your avatar?[/QUOTE]

I wuz wundering that too ... didn't look like that the last time I seen it ...

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in