Harley Davidson Forums banner

Fix a flat with a tube tire?

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kurtfriedrich 
#1 ·
Imagine this has been asked, but a search on this forum didn't help ...

With a tube tire, a normal patch kit ain't going to help much.
Has anyone tried one of these Slime or other brand pressurized cans than supposedly plug a hole and fill the tire?

#2 ·
I wouldn't think one of the additives would work with a tube tire. If I were desperate on the side of the road, I might try it.
I used it in a tubeless once to get the last 10 miles to a shop. I wouldn't ride a long ways with that stuff and the HD mechanic got bent out of shape because he had to deal with that mess. I was a few hundred miles from home and desperate.

By patch kit, do you mean plug kit? A patch would fix a tube, but I recommend getting a new tube and a new tire.

#4 ·
Join Triple A or HOG and get a free tow to have a shop fix the tire. Patching a tube on the side of the road is a chore even if you happen to have the needed equipment along. Fix-A-Flat won't work on a tube because when a tube gets punctured the hole splits open.

Reactions: Rawhide
#6 ·
I've used slime on a tubeless tire, it worked.
I have never tried it on a tube tire so I can't say , maybe if it is a small puncture it may, just pull the nail out and rotate the wheel after the slime & the valve stem core has been put in and tire has been re inflated.

#7 ·
Well that seems like a definite maybe. I am thinking a nail puncture, not a split tube.
My experience with towing services when you are in the middle of Wyoming or Utah can be quite a few hours.
Maybe I'll throw a can in the bag and hopefully never have to try it. Over the 43 bikes I have owned in the last 50 years, both flats really didn't show up until I was in my garage.
But maybe my lucky streak will run out ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.