Black is Beautiful! Brought home my new Fat Boy! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Black is Beautiful! Brought home my new Fat Boy!

After looking around for a month or so, I brought home a beautiful Vivid Black FLSTF Fat Boy yesterday evening and am (again) in Harley Heaven!
I was headed for Red Hot Sunglo but when I saw that Vivid Black it just brought out the chrome work so well and looks so classic!

I've put 125 miles on it, gently breaking it in, riding in the windy roads of the wine country we live in. Now for a couple of questions:

1.) What is the very best way to care for (detail) black paint? I bought some S100 for general cleaning of the the bike and Protectall to polish it. Any other ideas? I plan to use micro fiber clothes or old (clean) diapers.

2.) I am not picture-posting literate. Can someone help this old fart figure out how to post a picture of my new bike? I have the picture from my camera on my desktop, but can't seem to get the "Insert Image" thingy up above to work. If you don't mind helping me I'll try to get a pic posted soon.

3.) Pipes? I have been looking at V&H Big Shot Staggered's, 2 into 1 and now am even considering just some V&H or Rush slip ons with aan SE Air Cleaner and a fuel computer as I guess I'm one of the few who actually like the stock exhast tone. I don't want a splitting headache after a ride from "blatty," loud pipes. If you have any suggestions here, please, by all means speak up! (I had a V&H Pro Pipe on my last Heritage and thought I'd try something different).

I had forgotten just how awesome it is ride a Harley through the windy roads and backways. With the new motor it just takes a crack of the throttle to accelerate through the gears and the feeling is heavenly.
I really needed to get back on a Harley and decompress from a stressful job. I just love the tone and power, and fellowship with other riders.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling! It's good to back on a Harley...
very, very good!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Just passing thru

Congrats on the bike! If I were you I would ride the bike for quite a while longer before deciding if anything needs to be changed. The service manual is a very good first accessory for your bike. Learn how to upload to the gallery from your computer here. Ride safe and enjoy!

https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...ead.php?t=4280

RIDE ON!
2007 VRSCDX since
November 28 2006

Pics
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I break stuff.

Woohoo!!! Congratulations - and ENJOY!

Loose nut at throttle.

President, Dirty Old Ladies Club

MOO!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Sweet ride
Congratulations and enjoy!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 AM
I {Heart} Hookers.

1.) What transpired that you learned that CLEAN diapers worked better than NOT CLEAN diapers?

Get yourself a California Duster to wipe the constant dust off the black paint. NEVER wipe it off because some of it is gritty and will leave visible marks. Black is great but has its drawbacks.

Washing with S100 is great, (I love that stuff) but drying it is more important. I use old bathroom towels and ALWAYS wash them after using them once. Grit can get on a towel and then scratch paint. It's also ALL they're used for... Light compressed air works great too for water in placed a towel can't reach.

SimpleGreen works well too, is cheaper and is biodegradable. S100 will cause driveway coatings (the black stuff you spread on once a year...) to degenerate.

2.) Read Ed's post.

3.) I have V&H on my bike. They mellow out at highway speed. I like the "Blatty" sound....:lol8 They're not too loud, but not as quiets as stock. I have louder household appliances then a stock bike.

A fuel management system will smooth out some of the throttle jerkiness and improve throttle response and power.

Now go back in the garage and touch your new bike. Go ahead.... you know you want to ......

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

Congrats! gotta love a fat boy. Mine is a 98 and I don't know what they have done with the seats since then, but that might be something to look into, but only you can deside what mods to make, and in which order. it has to be what suits you, after all you are riding it, and paying for it.
I will say this, the stock seat is quite comfy when my ole lady is with me and we are on a longer ride. but when cruisin by myself, I like the Badlander seat, I sit lower on the bike, and it handles much easier, plus it almost makes it feel like you are in the bike rather than on it because of the lower center of gravity.

But in any case, Nice choice of bikes, now put up some pics!!!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Banned

Pics are Kool!!!:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:14 PM

I'm with you. I also bought an 09 Vivid Black Fatboy this weekend. Unfortunately in Ohio it snowed today so I did not get any miles on mine haha. This is my first HD and I can't wait for warmer weather.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 AM
sober 2 nite

I use S100 on the engine it seems to keep it nice and black and stops the salt getting in.Have got the Rush slip ons S&E air filter & power commander3 makes nice bark when I open her up with out making you go deaf up the road
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Congrats. Get ready to keep spending $$$ Chrome looks great with black!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode