Harley Davidson Forums banner

Top end rebuild?

12K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Gorillathehun 
#1 ·
I recently got myself an 04 sportster 1200. A weird knock suddenly become a no start condition that also sounds like no compression. If i hold the start button for a minute it will catch compression every 10 to 15 seconds or so. Also, there is what looks like oil seeping out of the hex bolts on top of the rocker box. Im looking for any and all advice because i camt afford to pay for repairs but refuse to give up my bike.thank you all in advance for any help. Btw im new to motorcycle repair but not to turning a wrench.

#3 ·
Pitchers would help. I would pull the plugs out, take the rocker covers off and turn it over. See if the valves are workin. Well, maybe do a compression test first. If ya don't have a compression tester, hold your thumb over the hole,at least you'll know if you have compression. Could you tell where the knockin was comin from, bottom end or top?

#7 ·
Pics Where the oil is leakin from. To run an engine needs gas,fire and compression. it could have a bad crank position sensor.

Did it run good when you bought it?

When you try to crank it, what does it do? will it run at all?

Could be a weak battery also.

#8 ·
It did run good when i fiirst got it. It started to make a loud clunk noise one night and the next day when i started it it started for a min then died. It doesn't start at all right now. When i used to crank it over you would hear a rumble like it was coming from the exhaust now when i crank it all i hear is the noise of the engine. Here is the pic of the oil. Thank you very much btw.

Attachments

#9 ·
I would'nt be concerned with that little bit of oil. 40 thousand miles will dry out and crack gaskets. You might even be able to snug'um down a little. Theres a little rubber gasket under that bolt.

I don't have a clue what the clank would be. Theres some guys on here that have a lot more knowledge than me. They'll be along when the football games are over.....maybe tomorrow.

Bob and Schmidty are the guru's.

#15 ·
A compression check is a good thing.

As you can see ... Most Harley riders (especially on this forum) are a helpful lot.

Perhaps if you list your city in your profile, someone may offer to ride by and have a look.

Keep posting!!

Cheers,
Smoketown

#16 ·
Above Zeta7 Fla Cajun gave you some Good Instruction.

Also the Dealer can do a Compression test. If it fails it's more than Likely it's the Valve seat Seal. Remove the Heads because your going to have to tear it down to the Base. Then take the Heads and Pour water into it, if it's the Valve Seat Seal water will come out the other side. The Leak will show you where the Seal Failed.

Then buy some top of the Line Seals and have the Heads redone. It's simple to do and Torque the Head Bolts to Manual Specs.

#17 ·
Its been a while since ive posted but thank you guys for input. I broight it to a harley certified friend and the oil pump had quit and it needs a new top end rebuild. Also the front cylinder connecting rod has extra play in the bottom end. So ive been told the bike isnt really woth paying to fix.

#18 ·
Its been a while since ive posted but thank you guys for input. I broight it to a harley certified friend and the oil pump had quit and it needs a new top end rebuild. Also the front cylinder connecting rod has extra play in the bottom end. So ive been told the bike isnt really woth paying to fix.
You've been told correctly. The engine would have to come out of the bike and the cases split etc., etc.. IMO if the bike still runs then ride it to death !

Reactions: gtrman66
#19 ·
A 2004 Sportster 1200 is worth about 3000-4000 US dollars. If you can fine a good used engine, it might be worth it.
If you can do the work yourself. Look around check e-bay, local paper, etc. Good chance you can find a good bike for what you would spend getting this one going again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.