Bigger handlebars for 2019 Iron 883 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cyureus
  • 1 Post By Villain
  • 1 Post By priell3
  • 1 Post By DRVMN
  • 1 Post By Reformed Cager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bigger handlebars for 2019 Iron 883

Getting my new Iron tomorrow, but I don't like the reach I need for the stock 883 handlebars. I love the feeling of the stock Iron 1200 bars (Mini Apes?), but they require all new brake lines to be installed due to length, and I'm not ready to drop that extra money as I still need to get a textile jacket and overpants for commuting.

Anybody know of handlebars like the stock Mini Apes that won't require installation of new brake lines? Or potentially a riser kit that won't mess with the stock speedo housing/lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2019 HD Iron 883 Rugged Gold Denim - "Luna"
2019 HD Iron 883 Wicked Red - "Scarlett" - RIP, totaled 10/20/18

US Army Veteran
Thank you to all that have, are, and will serve, both Military and Civil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Cager View Post
Getting my new Iron tomorrow, but I don't like the reach I need for the stock 883 handlebars. I love the feeling of the stock Iron 1200 bars (Mini Apes?), but they require all new brake lines to be installed due to length, and I'm not ready to drop that extra money as I still need to get a textile jacket and overpants for commuting.

Anybody know of handlebars like the stock Mini Apes that won't require installation of new brake lines? Or potentially a riser kit that won't mess with the stock speedo housing/lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I may be misunderstanding, but increasing the rise anywhere on the bars is going to make a needed increase for the lines as well. I don't know about the new sporty's, but I had a 2013 and any rise I had called for new lines so I just one time done'd it with the mini apes and new lines. It wasn't a fun cost

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reformed Cager likes this.

2011 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - LS650 (Traded)
2013 Iron 883 - XL883N (Traded)
2018 Sport Glide - FLSB
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyureus View Post
I may be misunderstanding, but increasing the rise anywhere on the bars is going to make a needed increase for the lines as well. I don't know about the new sporty's, but I had a 2013 and any rise I had called for new lines so I just one time done'd it with the mini apes and new lines. It wasn't a fun cost

Yeah, it's pretty expensive. Oh well, I guess I'll just ride it as is for a bit and see if I get used to it or if I really want to invest the extra money.

US Army Veteran

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wait though, there has to be something, right? Even if not a riser, there has to be a set of handlebars that work on the stock Iron 883 that brings the bars back just enough and doesn't require new lines being run. I'd think that if people did have to replace lines each time they decided to replace the stock handlebars that they'd revolt at the costs involved, even if you DIY.

I've never installed brake lines on a bike, so I'd be inclined to have the dealer do it, and between the mini-apes, cables, and install (bike does have ABS), I was quoted a ballpark of $800. That seems very excessive, but what do I know?

US Army Veteran
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Wait though, there has to be something, right? Even if not a riser, there has to be a set of handlebars that work on the stock Iron 883 that brings the bars back just enough and doesn't require new lines being run. I'd think that if people did have to replace lines each time they decided to replace the stock handlebars that they'd revolt at the costs involved, even if you DIY.

I've never installed brake lines on a bike, so I'd be inclined to have the dealer do it, and between the mini-apes, cables, and install (bike does have ABS), I was quoted a ballpark of $800. That seems very excessive, but what do I know?
I'm sure there are bars out there that don't require new lines. If all you are looking for is a bar that is angled differently, and same height you should be good. MoCo charged me $1000 to do the 14"apes on my Street Bob, but it did require longer cables. When/If you do new bars i recommend getting better grips while you are at it. They have to cut the stock grips when they replace the bars, and if you have any in mind that you like, you might as well do it then. I'm going to do heated grips whenever i decide to do new bars.
Cyureus likes this.

2019 Road King Special
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
I added 1.5" risers to my 2017 Iron. Works with the stock cables. Low cost option.

1.5 Inch Stealth Riser Extensions for HARLEY-DAVIDSON DK Custom Products
Cyureus likes this.

MikeP - 2019 Olive Gold/Black Tempest FLHC
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Ahhh.. I'm tracking now. Yeah, you should be able to see how much play you have in the cables and just get risers and still make your full lock turns without stressing the cables.

2011 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - LS650 (Traded)
2013 Iron 883 - XL883N (Traded)
2018 Sport Glide - FLSB
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Keeper Of The Kept.

Quote:

$800! Damn! I say cut the lines, replace the open part with surgical tubing and zip ties. Black sharpie and you got extended lines like you need. Hell, I won't even charge you for that. Seriousy though, check J&P Cycles for the parts and get you an indie to hook it up for you. Good example, my coworker paid $500 for orange LED's to match his bike in Sturgis. I paid $150 for LED's that can be set at any color, blink, fade and strobe. You just gotta look around. If you know any MC members, they can direct you to the guys trying to make an extra buck and will do the job correctly. I got the equivalent of the Day Maker for about $130. You know how much that cost at the dealer. I sat in a driveway of a house shooting the shty while he installed my lights.

If a butterfly didn't have wings, it would be a butterwalk.

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
If you change the lines yourself, you still might end up at the dealership because of the ABS . . . to properly bleed the ABS brake system, Harley-Davidson has to hook up their computer and actuate the ABS pump to bleed the ABS system and lines. At least that was true with my Ultra Limited when I had the brake fluid flushed and replaced.
Cyureus likes this.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked the bike up Wednesday. Sitting still on it was different than riding it. I was a lot more comfortable once rolling. Actually felt a little weird trying to sit up straight(er) while carving down the tarmac.

Pics will be posted soon. Took half a week off to get the bike and work on some home improvements - my to do basket is killing me today at work!
Villain likes this.

US Army Veteran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode