Engine issues? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Engine issues?

I picked up a 2012 Iron 883 with 22k miles on it, and my dad when he picked it up for me because I was at work put 87 in it and it kind of was running rough and seemed like it almost wanted to die sometimes if you came to a stop in 1st and left the clutch in, so I ran the bike almost completely empty and then put 93 in it, but ive noticed sometimes while im just holding throttle in 1st or 2nd all of a sudden the revs will kind of dip and then they'll kick up and the bike will jerk almost as if I've downshifted when I haven't, and it just seems to run a bit boggy and choppy sometimes, would this be still because of the gas? Could it be the throttle cables? Any tips or info would greatly help, this is my first bike and my first harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:18 PM
Banned

Garage
Your bike has EFI. Use some carb cleaner in the throttle body, in particular the IAC port at the top of the intake.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
Your bike has EFI. Use some carb cleaner in the throttle body, in particular the IAC port at the top of the intake.
Will try and report back, thank you for the info/tip

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 AM

Garage
OPiruz
After you do like Kainam says start running a few ounces [ 6-8 oz.] of Sea Foam through it every month.That should keep everything cleaned out from then on.
Colt.45

"You are never out of the Fight"
2008 Rocker..traded for a 2015 Road King traded in for a .. 2019 Iron 1200
U.S.A.F. 75-79
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
So I tried the intake cleaner and it didnt do much, the bike especially after a slight blip of the throttle and letting it idle back down will sound kind of bogged like it wants to die and then i'll hear a kind of "pff" or something along those lines, basically kind of sounds like when you detach an air hose from a fitting, just not as loud or aggressive, I tried cleaning the throttle body with the bike running and not (including that little IAC hole), the filter looks almost brand new no holes no dirt no clogs etc. Could it be a bad throttle? Or maybe the cables need to be adjusted? The biggest problem I have with this is it did it once while i was in the middle of a sharp parking lot uturn and almost made me drop the bike, and then as I was attempting to accelerate uphill out of a parking lot into traffic it did it again and the bike almost tipped and hesitated, if it does that while im trying to pull out into 60 mph traffic im as good as a hood ornament
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 PM
JLR

What has been done to this new to you sportster? It might need a tuner if exhaust and intake were changed Have you put new spark plugs in yet? It just might cure your problem, especially if it has been run on old gas.

Just throwing some suggestions out for you to check out.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 PM
Hit it she goes boom

Put some Seafoam in the tank, ride her like ya stole her, see if something changes.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."--- Elwood Blues

"What does not kill you makes you stronger..... except for bears, bears will kill you."

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"--- Some guy in a bar.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 PM

Said you cleaned the IAC hole. Look into top area of throttle body and key the switch on and off. You will see the pintle pull all the way up and come back down. When pintle is pulling up spray carb cleaner into open hole. Do it few times. Black soot will drain out. Engine will take a bit to start, only air is suppose to enter into passage way.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
What has been done to this new to you sportster? It might need a tuner if exhaust and intake were changed Have you put new spark plugs in yet? It just might cure your problem, especially if it has been run on old gas.

Just throwing some suggestions out for you to check out.
The bike is bone stock aside from the paint job and a set of cheap slip on python mufflers. I haven't tried spark plugs yet which would be a good idea.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftailBilly View Post
Said you cleaned the IAC hole. Look into top area of throttle body and key the switch on and off. You will see the pintle pull all the way up and come back down. When pintle is pulling up spray carb cleaner into open hole. Do it few times. Black soot will drain out. Engine will take a bit to start, only air is suppose to enter into passage way.
I will try this tomorrow after work and report back.
SoftailBilly likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode