Rat Rod Carb - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Rat Rod Carb

First off, please let me apologize for starting a new thread on what has been (probably) beaten to death in the past. My Forum/Google-Fu isn't what it used to be, although I found some good info, but want to make sure I got this correct.

My 2005 1200C Sporty, Rat Rod, is running rich and getting 35 mpg at a steady 55 mph, which seems a tad low to me. I do not ever need to use the enricher, just hit the accelerator pump a couple times and it's good, with a tad low idle when cold, but I don't let it sit long anyway before taking off. It has a K&N little round air cleaner set up, and basically straight pipes. When looking up in the Screaming Eagle II 'mufflers', I see a little metal tab that really is only stopping a cop's night stick like they used to check for baffles eons ago. Sounds excellent, btw. At low throttle position like cruising in town at low speed and low rpm you can tell the fuel mixture is wrong and almost sounds like a V8 running on 6, but there is no surging or anything like that. All the way off the throttle or normal cruising on the hwy there is no sputtering or backfire. WOT it pulls hard, very hard. When turning in the EZ mixture screw, that the PO installed and I'm glad I didn't have to do it, nothing happens. Even all the way seated. I took the carb off to check the jets and found a 46 pilot and a 190 main. Also the only thing on the EZ screw is a spring and no ball I read about, but that might be just for the stock mixture screw.

From what I have gathered the pilot jet is too big and the main is probably OK the way it is. I read that the stock pilot is a 42 and that I should try a 44 or even a 45, if I can find one. I will buy new plugs and do the old school test of running on the low speed circuit only for a couple miles and then pull the plugs to see what they tell me, and then adjust accordingly. Does that about sum it up? BTW, the dealer here does not sell jets anymore. They will take your scooter in as a trade in when you ride it there looking for jets though. I now have a new 2019 Iron 1200 in Twisted Cherry. That thing is sweet. Yes, I'm a drug addict if motorcycles are drugs haha. I'm not in a hurry to get this carb job done, as I have painting to do on that bike in the meantime, but I want to get all the good info I can from people who know what they are doing. I'm no stranger to wrenching but I am on a bike carb. I thank you all in advance for your help. Here is a pic of the new ride:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_175748.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	757219  

ematicic, Colt.45 and Cyureus like this.

'19 HD Sportster 1200 Iron, '05 HD Sportster 1200 C, '07 Honda VTX 1800N1, '13 Honda Rebel 250
Jesus. That's how I roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Garage
First off, what carb. is on the bike? Reading plugs for proper jetting using unleaded gas, is very difficult.

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

It's the Keihin 40 CV carburetor. From what I understand it is the stock factory carb on that bike.

'19 HD Sportster 1200 Iron, '05 HD Sportster 1200 C, '07 Honda VTX 1800N1, '13 Honda Rebel 250

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

I ordered both 44 and 45 jets for the pilot side and decided to go ahead and leave the 190 main as is. I will try the 45 first to see how it does, and if still too rich drop the 44 in. They are supposed to be here by Friday which gives me enough time to get this gas tank painted. The left side cover was scratched up pretty bad, so I experimented with that first. The clear coat is still drying and I will post pics when done. The PO did a horrible job with the tank paint and it was a lot of fun stripping it back down to bare. It's gonna be a red with metal flake and the color looks pretty good in the sun. Anything is better than the way it looked.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
#45 pilot jet, 190 main jet and slow air screw turned out 1 turns is a good starting point with a Sporty CV carb. BTW EVOs aren't straight pipe friendly. 35-38 mpg is normal for a Sporty.
That EZ mixture screw (slow air screw?) sounds like a problem, something should be happening when adjusting it in and out.
Check the enrichener plunger, might be leaking fuel. A dent ring around the needle end indicates possible leakage and explains why you don't need the enrichener to start the engine. It'll also cause a rich condition across the board.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info, SCHMIDTY. I will take the enrichener cable off and check it out. I also found out that the things in the exhaust, that I was poorly describing, are referred to as 'lollipops'. They are supposed to improve mid range torque that can be lost with open pipes. I'm hoping that there aren't any more issues with this bike once I get it back together. Now I need to find a butt brace or something to help me stay on the seat, when I'm enjoying spirited riding, and get this gas tank finished up. In the meantime I'm really liking this new Sportster. It handles great and has good power. Those stock mufflers sure are quiet though.
Colt.45 likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
RJ64
" Those stock mufflers sure are quiet though"....HaHaHa, makes it sound like a sewing machine huh? Mine was so quiet that once in a while when my buddy and I started our bikes,I wasn't sure mine was running. I stood it as long as I could but right after the 1,000 mile service Iput a set of Cobra RPT slip ons ,on it. It 'sounds' faster now at least.
Colt.45

"You are never out of the Fight"
2008 Rocker..traded for a 2015 Road King traded in for a .. 2019 Iron 1200
U.S.A.F. 75-79
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya! (pun intended) Just passed the 500 mile mark and thinking about pipes now. It all depends on what other stuff happens in the meantime. Something always comes up...story of my life.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Outlaw

Garage
Sounds like SCHMIDTY probably has you squared away, another suggestion I would make is adding torque cones if it doesn't already have them, as has been said the EVO's do like to have some restriction.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.

What doesn't kill you sometimes make you stronger,
and sometimes it just pisses you off!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Wayward Son

Worth a read> Drag-pipe blues. < click
Doc M likes this.

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW
1L/TWF
♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️
🇺🇸 R.E.D.

People are why I love Dogs and my Harley.
💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
09-08-17
🐾No longer by my side. Forever in my heart.🐾
🖤Bear, Brute, Jessie James, Billy the Kid, Aiyana🖤
ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee
No such thing as just a Dog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode