New Sportster 48, vibrations - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Garage
As others have said - It's under warranty so I would have the dealership look at it and take it for a test ride. You paid a lot of money for that bike so take advantage of that two-year warranty. My wife has a 2016 Forty-Eight. There is a lot more range in each gear and a lot of times, I'm still in 4th gear when going 50 m.p.h. If a tire is out-of-round or not balanced properly, they should be able to see that if they re-balance the tire.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 PM

My '05 1200 is smoother than my '19 1200. Not sure why, but it's carbed while the '19 is FI. Maybe the gearing is a bit taller now. These two Sporties are my first HD bikes, but as far as I know, it's the nature of the beast. I've been watching the tach and it would seem that the engine likes to be above 2200 rpms before you can accelerate a tad harder without the vibration, and only in 1st through 4th gear. I don't use 5th until 45 MPH and only if accelerating lightly, and at 60 MPH if merging into traffic or whatnot, to keep the HP up in it's good range in case you need it. The torque limit is at a lower RPM than the HP max is, but HP is what speeds you up, while torque is what is actually moving all that weight. V-twins are just naturally set-up that way, just like a truck engine V-whatever. You will know if you are lugging the engine because it will be a violent shake and the engine will sound as if it's running on 1 cylinder. That is very bad for the engine and the oil pressure is so low at that point that you could scar bearings. It doesn't mean that will happen after one or two times, but continually doing that will eventually lead to a very expensive repair bill. I suggest just shifting later, which means keeping the RPMs up higher, which won't hurt a thing, until you get a better feel for it and do what works for you. Higher RPM doesn't always mean more fuel used, as these engines are now fuel injected and the TPS plays a major role in it. Translating that, the more you twist the wrist the more fuel used, even at lower RPM. Personally, I like the vibration. I have pinched nerves in my back and riding bikes is soooooo much better on my back than my car is. It's not like that for most people, but then again I'm not like, well, anyone else lol.

Here are what the experts in the 60s said about vibration....

'19 HD Sportster 1200 Iron, '05 HD Sportster 1200 C, '07 Honda VTX 1800N1, '13 Honda Rebel 250
Jesus. That's how I roll.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Main reason found and fixed

The dealer had both wheels off the bike to check the balance. It turned out that the balancing done by HD was ridiculous. After rebalancing the wheels the shaking is reduced by some 60%. The remaning is tolerable and probably due to the tires being slightly out of round.
Kainam likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode