06 HD Sportster 1200L - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

06 HD Sportster 1200L

Hey people I have a HD Sportster I purchased a few years back never had a problem with it until recently. After I ride down Ocean View for about 40 minutes and have to come to stop signs and red lights, my bike tries to stall out on me at almost every stop unless I’m giving it a little throttle. It started last week so I figured it was the carb, so took it off cleaned it real well made sure my jet was clean, and reinstalled it and I thought the problem was fixed. Anyhow it happened again today so when I pulled up to the house I let it idle for about 60 seconds to see if it would die without me giving it any gas and it didn’t. It just keep sounding like it’s trying to die and backfired when I try to throttle it. Does the same thing at red lights. What else could be the problem on this 06 HD Sporty 1200 XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
More knowledgeable folks here than me but I will try to help. Depending if it sat long, could be mild corrosion in the tank that will cause the fuel system to keep bogging. Any upgrades that might affect?

Also consider a new person intro, we get lots of folks passing by and just post their issue on a bunch of forum but never stop back to even read the answers. Intros let people know you care enough to stick around for an answer I guess.

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Just Ride

Which jet? There's a slow/pilot jet and main. Sounds like a second cleaning may be needed. Vacuum leak can also cause your problem.

2010 FLTRX Wimmer Better Sucker,Stage 1,Xied's,no cat,fatstick with open end cap. 2004 Dyna Lowrider Harley Heavy Breather,Stage 1,Screaming Eagle mufflers.1996 FXDS-CONV S&S E.Screaming Eagle ignition,V&H Short shots. 1978 Strokershovel Lowrider 100 inches. 1974 Suzuki GT750 Lemans (Water Buffalo)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Parker View Post
Hey people I have a HD Sportster I purchased a few years back never had a problem with it until recently. After I ride down Ocean View for about 40 minutes and have to come to stop signs and red lights, my bike tries to stall out on me at almost every stop unless Im giving it a little throttle. It started last week so I figured it was the carb, so took it off cleaned it real well made sure my jet was clean, and reinstalled it and I thought the problem was fixed. Anyhow it happened again today so when I pulled up to the house I let it idle for about 60 seconds to see if it would die without me giving it any gas and it didnt. It just keep sounding like its trying to die and backfired when I try to throttle it. Does the same thing at red lights. What else could be the problem on this 06 HD Sporty 1200 XL
Lot of Ocean Views, one locally here. Where you located ??

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode