New hugger/harley owner questions - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bobf
  • 1 Post By tommytailspin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

New hugger/harley owner questions

Hello,

Please don't bite, I am a new Harley owner. I got myself a pristine Hugger 883 at the weekend after moving on from my bobbed Shadow 600. It's quite a difference between the two!

When I picked it up and drove on the highway for 45 minutes, the left mirror was shaking I could see nothing. It feels pretty tight. I know many just ditch the mirrors, but the roads around here can be heavily conjested so I would like to be able to use them.

I appreciate now that these bikes are vibration happy. I have to 2000 model, engine straight to frame! Any tips to help. I don't mind the buzzy handlebars, but the useless mirrors are another thing!

Is there a particular starting procedure from cold for these bikes? My shadow was pretty much, enricher on, fire it up and away I went. Doing to same thing with the harley and it just cranks over. Do I need to give it a couple of shots with the throttle first, or keep the throttle partially open when cranking it over?

Anyone fitted a spring style solo bobber seat to these bikes, just wonder if it is relatively easy or there some welding required? I fitted one to my Shadow which needed some pins welding to the frame from the springs.

Finally, how many miles to a tank do folks get before they reset the clock?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 AM

Garage
Mirror vibration on the solid mount XL's is pretty much the normal. You can add weights to the bar ends that may help. "Barsnake" is one that I can think of. Also a roll of nickels will fit. Can't help with the fuel ??, been too many years since I had an XL.

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Poser Member # 99

you Might want to Check out the Sportster Section on Our Forum it Might answer a Lot of your Questions . Some us here do Bite and theirs nothing we can to Stop it Any one can bite at any Time . Have a cookie

Oh Welcome to the Forum

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:04 AM

As to starting, DO NOT OPEN the throttle. Enricher on fully, a blip of the throttle and it should start. Allow to idle a little, depending on temperature. Enricher 1/2 or so off. Ride for a few minuets, then enricher off.
CW4Pilot likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 PM
old scoot coot

Garage
welcome aboard from s.e. kansas. enjoy the harley, photos please. stick around and have some fun. lots of harley knowledge and ball busting on this site.
Colt.45 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 PM

Welcome to the forum from PA!

2007 Street Bob
ThunderMax
DK 587
Ohlins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode