New Harley owner: Is this normal? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

New Harley owner: Is this normal?

Hey everyone, I got my 2008 Sportster XL1200 Custom one month ago. I've never owned a Harley before, only Honda's. I noticed it's extremely "jerky" mainly in 1st gear going slow. I know it's a 1200cc and doesn't like to go slow. But, it just seems to be a little too "jerky" , more than normal. What could be causing that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Greetings, I saw your other thread about the clutch being stiff. I wonder if a clutch adjustment could fix both of your issues.

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:07 PM

Garage
My wife's 2016 Forty-Eight is "jerky" in first gear - especially at lower speeds. It just takes some time to get used to it and "finessing" the clutch at lower speeds. I think it has a lot to do with how it is geared.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
-Harley-Davidson Luggage Rack

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematicic View Post
Greetings, I saw your other thread about the clutch being stiff. I wonder if a clutch adjustment could fix both of your issues.
**This is happening when the clutch is NOT pulled in.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Garage
Sounds like you are lugging the motor.
JPR and Reformed Cager like this.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 AM
V-Twin Junkie

Can you compare it to the Hondas you have ridden previously? Are you suggesting that it is abrupt when throttle is applied? Does this occur at any rpms, or only when giving it a lot of throttle from low rpms?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:24 AM

At low speeds it is easier to actually ride the clutch. It's called the friction zone.
Look on youtube for Ride like a Pro. great riding tips.

When life throws you a curve....lean into it.

'12 FLHTK
Stage 1 air filter
V&H power duals/slip ons
T Mann 555 cams
Dyno Tune 97HP/112Tq
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:43 AM

The sportster has more low end torque than most imports... you'll adjust over time.

Parts left off don't wear out.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran

Garage
Check your chain or belt for slack.
JPR likes this.

2018 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
2017 Street Glide
2005 Road King Classic
1976 Super Glide
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina70 View Post
Hey everyone, I got my 2008 Sportster XL1200 Custom one month ago. I've never owned a Harley before, only Honda's. I noticed it's extremely "jerky" mainly in 1st gear going slow. I know it's a 1200cc and doesn't like to go slow. But, it just seems to be a little too "jerky" , more than normal. What could be causing that?
My 48 does the same, and I think it is normal or at least common for Sportsters. The reason is first of all that there is a lot of slack/backlash in the transmission. Not the drive belt, but the gearbox and primary chain. Unfortunately H-D accepts poor workmanship and large variance in tolerances, and this adds up. To give you an example, if you want to adjust the primary chain to reduce slack, you have to take into account that the two shafts are not straight so you must adjust the chain where they have the most distance from each other. The fact that H-D even has to put this in writing is embarassing, but unfortunately that quality level is fine for them.

The issue of jerkiness is amplified by the nature of the engine that has the well known uneven firing intervals, and Sportster engines have relatively low inertia which amplifies that property even more.

Check and adjust the primary chain and the belt drive if necessary, following the correct procediure. It will probably not do much difference, but it is the only thing you can do.

If H-D bothered to reduce the tolerances the Sportsters would be less jerky and have less piston slap noise, and last longer, but that is not going to happen due to cost. It seems H-D reduced their quality dept. and used the money on the marketing dept. instead.

Maybe some will say that their Sportster is smooth, and that might be so if they are among the lucky ones where the tolerances happened to be in the acceptable range. Thats the nature of tolerances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in