Shopping for an XL1200C - what problems to look for? - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Poser

After this Allstate Ins commercial about Mahem and the chopper,,
I doubt very many private sellers do test rides anymore...

We are Legion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Question Sportster xl1200 custom cranks but wont start.

I have 2013 HD sportster xl1200 custom with 6200 miles on it. The bike is fairly new to me as I've only put 100 miles on it. It ran great those 100 miles but had the original battery in it so i decided to put new battery in it. Put new battery in and put back together (very tight fit btw). Bike cranked over and started right up. I drove it about 8 miles and had a sudden loss of power and check engine light come on. I put bike in neutral and hit off switch then coasted to a safe location. No visual damage or signs of issues. I restarted the bike and quickly realized by the sound that the front piston wasnt firing. I put my hands in front of the short shots and the exhaust coming out of the front cylinder was cool air. I loaded bike on trailer by driving onto it with one cylinder and got it home. I checked diagnostics to find the P1351 code (Front cylinder ignition driver open/low). I checked the system relay by switching with the start relay and bike still cranked over but now neither cylinders will start. So ignition coil maybe? Seems strange that this occurred right after the first time the battery was replaced. It also has the dynajet commander V chip installed. This chip has a skinny white with red stripe wire that doesnt go to anything, just stuffed in battery area. If you have any ideas, id sure like to hear them!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 AM
Frozen Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in