air shocks on a sporty - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

air shocks on a sporty

Ok I know the technical answer to this question but I just want to ask it:

I have an 02 1200C my dad picked up a 99 road king a few months ago and it came with a ton of extra parts that were stock that have been upgraded. He gave me the parts just to have for special projects, my question is if I put the air shocks from the road king on the sporty will I have any issues? The holes match up, I know it will change the look because it won't have the coil spring and all but I kind of like the look it would give it. Would I see any problems from this kind of change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Fla Cajun

Garage
From what i have been told, no. it will work fine and give ya a great ride. I'm planning on doing this swap myself sometime in the near future. i've seen used shocks with lines for around 100 bucks on e-bay. If you go ahead with this swap, let me know what you think, i need to soften my ride some.

To our Military, past an present, Thank You an God bless you.......

Some people are only alive
cause it's illegal to kill'um

post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 PM
I {Heart} Hookers.

No problems, and it's basically a direct swap.

As well as the shocks, you'll need the lines and the filling valve and mounting tab.

I had them on my Dyna for a bit. Worked great until a fateful bridge under construction put an end to that, and almost ruined a 5 day trip.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM

They'll work fine. Heck, you've got them, put them on and see if you like it. If not take them back off. Not a lot of work to try them.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM
look a pig wit wings

git-r-done
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
No problems, and it's basically a direct swap.

As well as the shocks, you'll need the lines and the filling valve and mounting tab.

I had them on my Dyna for a bit. Worked great until a fateful bridge under construction put an end to that, and almost ruined a 5 day trip.
Dave, I am pretty sure I just have the shocks. So I will have to buy the lines and the valve, but what is the mounting tab?

I've never worked with air shocks, do I just hook up a regular air compressor up and fill it to the desired psi?

Funny how you ask one question and the answer comes and then 25 other questions come up

Thanks for the help guys.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
I {Heart} Hookers.

The mounting tab is simply the small metal part the valve mounts to, so you can mount IT, somewhere off a single bolt, to hold it in place.

The valve is a tire (Schrader) valve, with the same, red plastic lined inserts in a "T" fitting, to accept 2 lines into one unit.

NO COMPRESSOR!

The shockes have such small volume, you need a small, "No loss" pump. Even using a standard tire guage will cause you to lose 3-4 lbs. HD sells a pump with an integral guage for $50. Progressive sells one too for less. You may be able to find one in a bicycle store, with a guage, for about $25 or so. Guage has to be a "No loss" so no air is lost upon taking the pump off.

If the shocks are off a 1999 RK, they hold 35 MAX psi.

I run mine (235 lbs) at 15 lbs for just me and 25-28 with the wife on.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

ok sweet. Dave thank you brother! I will start doing some research for the no loss pump and the lines and everything. I'm pretty excited about the upgrade. Thanks for the ref on what you run your shocks at, I'm at 250 so I will probably bump it to 18-20 psi. Thanks again.

Any product advice or anything regarding parts I will need is still much appreciated. Will do the change pretty soon and get some pics up.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 08:27 AM

Garage
make sure that the oil didnt leak out either, they should be capped off until you are ready to put them on, as dave said No Compressor that will ruin the shocks! agood no loss pump for filling them too. i weigh 220 and run about 20lbs in mine. all lines need to be a clean flat cut when you install them so they seat right.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Hit it she goes boom

If you want to try em and see if you like them with out dumping a bunch of money on an air pump. Use a bicycle tire pump, using Dave's math figure your gonna loose air disconnecting and reconnecting, not to mention the air lost checking psi. Pump em up and try em out. I'm basically a cheap @ss this is what I do, sounds like a lot of effort but for once a month, not bad. Just a thought.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."--- Elwood Blues

"What does not kill you makes you stronger..... except for bears, bears will kill you."

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"--- Some guy in a bar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode