Oil Plug - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Oil Plug

Sorry to be a pain but I want to change my own oil and filter. I can not find the clamp that has the hose on. Also can I use the symstic oil and what grade.. And using that kind of oil worth it.
Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 PM

If u look underneath your bike bout midway toward the front of the engine there's a little hose hanging with a clamp and mushroom type plug n it.not sure bout the synthetic thgh got the same question on that 1.goodluck
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Roll Tide

I had the dealership do my first oil changed. Used synthetic. The owner's manuel says synthetic is okay.

I am due an oil change now and will be doing it myself.

2009 Sportster 883L

1978 CJ "The Black Widow" slightly modified

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:29 PM

By the way nice rides guys
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM

I switched my nightster to Harley full synthetic after I bought it. Yes it is more expensive, but you use it in BOTH the engine and in the primary. Put about 2000 miles on it and no problems or any signs of premature wear in the primary/ clutch.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:53 PM

I live in Florida and put in, for the first time, straight 50 wt synthetic oil. It runs a lot quieter and cruises 60-65 like a sewing machine. (I'm not a fast rider). Before at 55 it seemed to be straining to hold that speed. Supposed to be better for hot weather........and we have plenty of that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
You spent a lot of money on your motorcycle . . . spend the extra money and use a quality synthetic oil too. There are many great synthetic oils out there and if you ask 100 people which oil they prefer, you'll get 100 different answers. Harley-Davidson Syn3 is fine. I personally like Amsoil. The best thing you can do (regardless of the oil brand you choose) is change the oil when it needs to be changed along with the filter. Both my bikes use 20W-50, but check your Owner's Manual for your specific bike.

My wife has a 2016 Forty-Eight. The drain plug is a plastic plug located at the end of a rubber hose that comes from the oil tank. It is tucked under the left side cover by the rear wheel. There is a clip that holds the rubber hose to the motorcycle frame. I remove that clip and then position the hose straight down, loosen the hose clamp, remove the plug, and drain the oil.
Attached Images

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVMN View Post
You spent a lot of money on your motorcycle . . . spend the extra money and use a quality synthetic oil too. There are many great synthetic oils out there and if you ask 100 people which oil they prefer, you'll get 100 different answers. Harley-Davidson Syn3 is fine. I personally like Amsoil. The best thing you can do (regardless of the oil brand you choose) is change the oil when it needs to be changed along with the filter. Both my bikes use 20W-50, but check your Owner's Manual for your specific bike.

My wife has a 2016 Forty-Eight. The drain plug is a plastic plug located at the end of a rubber hose that comes from the oil tank. It is tucked under the left side cover by the rear wheel. There is a clip that holds the rubber hose to the motorcycle frame. I remove that clip and then position the hose straight down, loosen the hose clamp, remove the plug, and drain the oil.
Thank you
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by postofficemike View Post
I live in Florida and put in, for the first time, straight 50 wt synthetic oil. It runs a lot quieter and cruises 60-65 like a sewing machine. (I'm not a fast rider). Before at 55 it seemed to be straining to hold that speed. Supposed to be better for hot weather........and we have plenty of that.

I would not have commented on this reply to a 10 year old post, if the poster's name wasn't Post office Mike. LOL, neither rain, snow, dead of night or time, right?

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in