Maps Update for Infotainment/Navigation System - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Maps Update for Infotainment/Navigation System

I just installed the Maps Update (Not the Dealership Locations Update) for the Navigation System on my 2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited. I have the Boom! Box 6.5GT Infotainment System. Naviextras.com is the website where Maps Updates are purchased and downloaded, and there is a link on Harley-Davidson's website under "Owners" and the specific Infotainment System you have - "Maps Update".

I am creating this post to share information about the Maps Update, not to start a debate on whether the update is worth the $149.95 versus using GPS on my phone, Google Maps, etc. I like the Infotainment System and have used the Navigation System many times but I know it's not for everyone. AND, if I couldn't afford the $149.95, I would not have installed it. With that being said, I know there are some members out there that are interested in the Maps Update, so this is what I learned . . .

First, I had to export data from my Navigation System to create a "Fingerprint File" using a 16GB (minimum) USB Flash Drive. After turning my ignition switch to Accessory, I inserted the USB Flash Drive and then clicked "Okay" when the message "No Playable Media Found". Next, I went to "Setup", "System Information", "Navigation", "Export for Update" and finally selected "USB". The Fingerprint File allows the Naviextras to learn what software your Infotainment System and Navigation System currently has.

There is a toolbox app that needs to be installed on your computer "Naviextras Toolbox" which can be downloaded from Naviextras.com. I plugged my USB Flash Drive into my computer and the Naviextras Toolbox took over from there. This is where I selected the update based on my Infotainment System and region I live in (for me - North America and the "non" CVO package), paid for the download, etc. It took a long time for the information to download to my USB Flash Drive - over a half-hour, but eventually everything downloaded successfully. From there, installing the software on my Infotainment System was the same as performing the regular software updates . . . I plugged the Flash Drive into the Infotainment USB port and the Infotainment System took over. It also took some time - over a half-hour for the download to be completed, so patience is definitely needed. The download was successful and my Navigation Maps have now been updated. I will probably do this update every couple years and this was the first time I've done the updates since purchasing the bike brand new in February 2016. Note: Because we still have snow in Minnesota, I have not had the bike out yet this Spring. I did pull up the Navigation System on my Infotainment System and everything seemed to be working as it should.

Final thoughts: This was the first time I performed the Maps Update and this is what I went through to make the installation work for me. I am by no means an expert so take that for what it's worth. I just wanted to share what I learned in the event that someone else is interested in updating the Navigation Maps. I had a couple "Hick Ups" along the way, but those were PC related issues, not Harley-Davidson issues. And as I stated at the beginning, It was my choice to purchase the updates and install them because that is what I like.

This video helped out too, although it was for a bike newer than mine:
gtrman66 likes this.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
-Harley-Davidson Luggage Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:40 PM

Garage
I'd be interested to see what happens when you use it. I updated my 14 Ultra once a couple of years ago and now it constantly tries to put me on unpaved roads despite having that selected as one of the Avoidances. I no longer trust my system.. Wish you the best of luck!

Blessed beyond measure.
Honored to be a PGR member.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 PM
Vile Deplorable

Good read. I planned on updating my 2016 Ultra before the Collision so I'd have the latest info. Thanks for posting this.
DRVMN likes this.

Just another former Chicago garbageman,
now living the country life,
selling crap and over-priced gas
to tourists & locals from my country store.
Life is good.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 AM

Garage
Not really computer savvy at least when doing stuff like you have done ,when I bought my bike I asked the salesman if they would update the system if I brought it in at some stage to either have service or other work carried out he said it would be no problem all they do is transfer data from computer to bike never mentioned about any cost involved .
Obviously there would be a cost for map updates I know that , When I travel by car I use my TomTom nav which I have free map and speed camera updates for the life of the unit at no extra cost .
PecosRiver likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosRiver View Post
Good read. I planned on updating my 2016 Ultra before the Collision so I'd have the latest info. Thanks for posting this.
You're Welcome!

So far, everything seems to be working like it should. The weather in Minnesota should be nice enough today for taking the first ride of the season.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Vile Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by English triker View Post
When I travel by car I use my TomTom nav which I have free map and speed camera updates for the life of the unit at no extra cost .
I know that Garmin does the same for their stand alone units, so why don't they do that for the installed GPS units?
bbally and English triker like this.

Just another former Chicago garbageman,
now living the country life,
selling crap and over-priced gas
to tourists & locals from my country store.
Life is good.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Asylum Inmate

Garage
Followed your information... paid and have it finished ... worked perfectly.

I thought the statement you made about it only being 150 bucks was very good. Made sense to me that even if i usually use my phone for 150 why not keep it up to date at that cheap of a price.

Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

USMC Sgt 79-85
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
Western Colorado PGR

2003 VRSCA
2016 FLTRXS

AMA PAC Supporter
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Asylum Inmate

Garage
Getting close

USMC Sgt 79-85
Western Colorado PGR

2003 VRSCA
2016 FLTRXS

AMA PAC Supporter
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Asylum Inmate

Garage
Close

USMC Sgt 79-85
Western Colorado PGR

2003 VRSCA
2016 FLTRXS

AMA PAC Supporter
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
Followed your information... paid and have it finished ... worked perfectly.

I thought the statement you made about it only being 150 bucks was very good. Made sense to me that even if i usually use my phone for 150 why not keep it up to date at that cheap of a price.

Thanks for posting this.

You're Welcome! Glad the update worked! It felt like forever for the updates to load to the Infotainment System . . . glad I had the battery tender hooked up! I finally got to go for my first ride today. It was sunny and in the low 50's, which is warm for Minnesota. Everything worked perfect - my wife and I rode to a Harley-Davidson dealer and the GPS took us right there, even with route recalculations. I'm like you in that I want everything up to date. We pay $25,000 plus for our bikes so why not spend $150 every couple years.
bbally likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode