2002 Harley DTC's - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerboy View Post
Is it still throwing the CKP code? Next step is to reset codes and try starting bike with a know good CKP sensor to see if it clears the problem. Also make sure you have performed the wiggle test to make sure you have ruled out intermittents. I have an 03 RK in shop right now with the same problem. Since I dont have a known good sensor, I ordered on that will be in this afternoon. The CKP sensor can give all kinds of problems and sometimes not even send a code. Short of you having some wiring or ecm issues, I would say you have a bad CKP sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunno if it's still setting the code. Don't know how to clear them on this bike (02 RK). I did find out that it wasn't a missing hose. It was a missing vacuum plug. Fixed that! Seems to start quicker. Could that missing vacuum plug set those codes?

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:58 PM
South GA Redneck

Garage
2002 Harley DTC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm9278 View Post
Dunno if it's still setting the code. Don't know how to clear them on this bike (02 RK). I did find out that it wasn't a missing hose. It was a missing vacuum plug. Fixed that! Seems to start quicker. Could that missing vacuum plug set those codes?

You cant clear them when you use the speedo to pull the codes. But if the codes are current the CEL will come on and stay on, you have to remove the test wire from the diagnostic port before cranking bike. That rubber plug shouldnt cause the CKP sensor to be throwing any codes.

edited for spelling errors

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You cant clear them when you use the speedo to pull the codes. But if the codes are current the CEL will come on and stay on, you have to remove the test wire from the diagnostic port before cranking bike. That rubber plug shouldnt cause the CKP sensor to be throwing any codes.

edited for spelling errors

Yeah, I removed the jumper right after I read the codes.
Just took it around the block for a check ride. CEL on at key on. Goes off after engine starts. 10 mile ride and no CEL, much less decell popping. I'm calling it fixed, unless of course it isn't...maybe there was a bad connection that got cleaned up by all the pulling and pushing?

I'll get back after I can run it a bit more.

baggerboy likes this.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:40 PM
South GA Redneck

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I removed the jumper right after I read the codes.
Just took it around the block for a check ride. CEL on at key on. Goes off after engine starts. 10 mile ride and no CEL, much less decell popping. I'm calling it fixed, unless of course it isn't...

I'll get back after I can run it a bit more.

Good news. Hopefully you got it. I never wouldve thought that rubber plug would cause that. But hey learning every day. Just keep that ol CKP sensor in the back of your head should it show itself again.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Good news. Hopefully you got it. I never wouldve thought that rubber plug would cause that. But hey learning every day. Just keep that ol CKP sensor in the back of your head should it show itself again.

I'm not convinced that the missing plug was the whole problem either, but time will tell. I also found a couple of spots on the horn wiring harness where mice had been chewing. Tank is full of fuel now so that'll have to wait till I get some burned off to check the harness underneath. What I can see by blocking up the rear looks ok.
Thanks for your assist, I owe you a beer if you ever get up this way!

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:44 PM
South GA Redneck

Garage
Quote:
I'm not convinced that the missing plug was the whole problem either, but time will tell. I also found a couple of spots on the horn wiring harness where mice had been chewing. Tank is full of fuel now so that'll have to wait till I get some burned off to check the harness underneath. What I can see by blocking up the rear looks ok.
Thanks for your assist, I owe you a beer if you ever get up this way!

Mice can definitely do some damage! Thanks for the beer offer. Will definitely keep that one in mind!

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

We'll, I was right about that...it ain't fixed. Started it this morning and the damn CEL came on again. On a brighter note, my service manual finally arrived.

baggerboy likes this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Just to update for anyone who might research this in the future.
It turns out that you can not clear the DTC's on these older bikes unless you have the HD computer scanner Gizmo, which I don't. After completing the repair the DTC becomes a " historic" code, which is identified by the CEL going off at startup, then coming back on for 8 seconds before turning off again. This occurs for the following 30 ignition cycles. Important piece of info there that I didn't have.

Anyway, to shorten a long story the problem turned out to be a broken wire. At the starter B+ post there is the battery cable and a smaller wire that feeds the main circuit breaker. That smaller wire was broken off of the terminal and making intermittent contact, which apparently threw the codes. Rode 150 miles Sunday with no issues

baggerboy and JLR like this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:30 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
It turns out that you can not clear the DTC's on these older bikes unless you have the HD computer scanner Gizmo, which I don't. After completing the repair the DTC becomes a " historic" code, which is identified by the CEL going off at startup, then coming back on for 8 seconds before turning off again. This occurs for the following 30 ignition cycles. Important piece of info there that I didn't have.

Anyway, to shorten a long story the problem turned out to be a broken wire. At the starter B+ post there is the battery cable and a smaller wire that feeds the main circuit breaker. That smaller wire was broken off of the terminal and making intermittent contact, which apparently threw the codes. Rode 150 miles Sunday with no issues

FYI that small wire is the B+ feed from the regulator.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:40 AM
South GA Redneck

Garage
Quote:

Good catch. And after having this issue a couple of times on bikes, its something I check pretty often now. It will definitely make you scratch your head trying to figure it out!!! IMHO that connector at the battery terminal gets abused during battery maintenance and is often times twisted while torquing battery connections. That cant be good for it in the long run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode