2013 Street Glide 5th Gear - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

2013 Street Glide 5th Gear

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2013 street glide after coming off a sportster. It has only 7k miles on it. I’ve noticed when getting on the gas in 5th gear ~3000rpm itll high rev up to about 4K or so rpms (as if I was holding the clutch in) it still has power and will gain speed the rpms just go from 2800ish to 4k. All other gears will just creep RPMs up. I’ve done some researching and saw people have had this happen before but with a lot more miles on the bike. I’m not really sure what I’m looking at here if it needs a new clutch or what. Just looking for insight. I have a video to show if I can figure out how to post it.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Just Ride

You could try a screaming eagle clutch spring or aftermarket spring before replacing clutch pack

2010 FLTRX Wimmer Better Sucker,Stage 1,Xied's,no cat,fatstick with open end cap. 2004 Dyna Lowrider Harley Heavy Breather,Stage 1,Screaming Eagle mufflers.1996 FXDS-CONV S&S E.Screaming Eagle ignition,V&H Short shots. 1978 Strokershovel Lowrider 100 inches. 1974 Suzuki GT750 Lemans (Water Buffalo)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Clutch adjustment is needed. IMO

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Senior Flatulant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpassh2o View Post
That would be the first thing to do ... But, why is it slipping 'only' in 5th gear?

Cable or hydraulic?

You said that you have video ... Perhaps you can post on youtube and provide the link.

Cheers,
Smoketown
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoketown$1 View Post
That would be the first thing to do ... But, why is it slipping 'only' in 5th gear?

Cable or hydraulic?

You said that you have video ... Perhaps you can post on youtube and provide the link.

Cheers,
Smoketown

This happened to me last year.... only in 5th... out of sync with ECM is what I was told, adjusting clutch cured it.
Smoketown$1 likes this.

2013 Ultra Classic
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with a few old head mechanics. They told me my clutch cable adjustment was causing this issue more than likely. They told me to loosen it up a few turns and see if it fixes the issue if it doesn’t they’ll have to pull the cover and check. I didn’t believe them, figured it was clutch spring, or adjustment behind the derby cover so I took their advice and loosened it a little. Issue seemed to have stopped. I ran it for an hour on a backroad for over an hour back and forth and couldn’t get it to mimic the issue. For S&G’s I tighten my clutch as tight as it could go, and it did the “slipping” in every year as soon as I would hit the gas. They said start as tight as it can be and then slowly work you’re way to loose. I trusted the old guys and they were right.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Quote:
This happened to me last year.... only in 5th... out of sync with ECM is what I was told, adjusting clutch cured it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgrsk269 View Post
I spoke with a few old head mechanics. They told me my clutch cable adjustment was causing this issue more than likely. They told me to loosen it up a few turns and see if it fixes the issue if it doesnt theyll have to pull the cover and check. I didnt believe them, figured it was clutch spring, or adjustment behind the derby cover so I took their advice and loosened it a little. Issue seemed to have stopped. I ran it for an hour on a backroad for over an hour back and forth and couldnt get it to mimic the issue. For S&Gs I tighten my clutch as tight as it could go, and it did the slipping in every year as soon as I would hit the gas. They said start as tight as it can be and then slowly work youre way to loose. I trusted the old guys and they were right.

Glad you listened to someone and got it resolved.

2013 Ultra Classic
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 PM
JLR

Quote:

jpassh2o likes this.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I spoke with a few old head mechanics. They told me my clutch cable adjustment was causing this issue more than likely. They told me to loosen it up a few turns and see if it fixes the issue if it doesn’t they’ll have to pull the cover and check. I didn’t believe them, figured it was clutch spring, or adjustment behind the derby cover so I took their advice and loosened it a little. Issue seemed to have stopped. I ran it for an hour on a backroad for over an hour back and forth and couldn’t get it to mimic the issue. For S&G’s I tighten my clutch as tight as it could go, and it did the “slipping” in every year as soon as I would hit the gas. They said start as tight as it can be and then slowly work you’re way to loose. I trusted the old guys and they were right.

Never heard of a clutch cable being too tight that would make it feel like it’s slipping though... grew up on dirt bikes and crotch rockets never had that issue. Is this a thing with Harley’s? Only had my sportster like 2 months before I got this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Never heard of a clutch cable being too tight that would make it feel like its slipping though... grew up on dirt bikes and crotch rockets never had that issue. Is this a thing with Harleys? Only had my sportster like 2 months before I got this.
Too tight clutch cable adjustment and on clutch itself will not allow complete lock up. Removed all the clearance. I run a 1/16th. at handle bar lever. Pull cable away from lever housing enough to ensure you get a good adjustment measurement. Not to hard just enough to pull any slack out. Adjustment at the clutch. Run screw all way in till it stops using your fingers. Back out 1/2 to 3/4 then lock it up. Should do this first on a stone cold engine with cable adjuster completely screwed in for max slack in cable. Then adjust at clutch lever.

What lube are you running in primary ? Clutch compatible?? Yea its a HD thing, proper adjustment and oil.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode