Cruise Control Almost Killed Me - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Garage
Any codes?
slingshot383 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey13118 View Post
Easy to just roll OFF throttle to disengage.
This is what I do first.
By doing so you are shutting off the cruise and starting to decelerate.
Not trying to be an ahole here...I just don't understand why this would not be the first thing to do or at least at the same time as applying the brakes.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
2007 Ultra is still cable from throttle and cruise module.
I would be inspecting the cruise module cable connection on the right side of the throttle body. Inspect the cable connection where the throttle and idle cables are located. Need to remove the air cleaner and back plate for inspection.
I think this might be a mechanical rather than electrical issue, hence no codes.
slingshot383 likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:03 AM

2006 Road King Classic... when bought used I was told/cautioned of a similar (terrifying) situation which happened to the seller.
Consequently, I don't use the cruise control. (Parts left off don't break... or kill you.)
slingshot383 and BigDoo like this.

Parts left off don't wear out.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:41 PM

Garage
Think you should contact Harley Motor company to report of your issue just in case it turns out to be a Major problem that they are not aware of as yet .
On my tri glide I use the cruise control when ever I can on our busy roads
slingshot383 likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by English triker View Post
Think you should contact Harley Motor company to report of your issue just in case it turns out to be a Major problem that they are not aware of as yet .
On my tri glide I use the cruise control when ever I can on our busy roads
Yup, something like that would be a NHTSA recall due to the danger of the situation.

You can report the details here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Garage
A sad fact of the world, devices fail. If you remember what Murphy and his friends told us.......

Murphy's law: If it can go wrong, it will go wrong

Jenning's corollary to Murphy's law: If it can go wrong, it will go wrong and at the worst possible moment

O'Toole's commentary on Murphy's law: Murphy was an optimist

People, especially bikers it seems to me, put a lot of trust in our equipment. So if you have no faith in the CC, its probably a good idea to not use it. Even if you get it repaired, Murphy can come and bite you in the hind quarters again.
slingshot383 likes this.

Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 PM

my 2014 Road King is the first bike I have owned that has a CC. I love it! It gives my arthritic fingers/hand a nice break. I do trust the CC to do what it is supposed to. I usually just roll off the throttle to disengage and have had no problems.
slingshot383 likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Proud Infidel

Every Harley I've owned (5) has had cruise control one way or another starting with my 1980 FXE. The friction screw under the throttle worked wonders on long rides.

Sent from here to there.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Try'n to behave

Had something similar happen on my '07 Road King, except it was back brake only. The pressure sensor switch that activates the lights went bad and the brake lights were not coming on and the cruise would not disengage when applying the rear brake. I too had a semi close call on an interstate...which is how I found out about it. I changed the pressure switch and haven't had a problem since.

another thing to look at is your brake fluid level; it might be affecting the disengagement.

Something else you could have done is just shut of the cruise with the switch on the bars.

BTW, where you live, doesn't merging traffic have to yield to traffic already in a lane? Those cars should have adjusted their speed to merge safely. I know you don't want to die for your right of way, but it seems people now think you are required to let them over.
slingshot383 likes this.

That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety-Benjamin Franklin 1759

Running is not a plan, running is what you do when your plan fails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode