Harley Davidson Forums banner

oil cooler OR cooling fan

15K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  wallace66 
#1 ·
which way would you go, with a good oil cooler or i was looking at the Lenale cooling fan.

#3 ·
In 2011, the oil cooler only came with the PowerPak option. PowerPak option equates to $1995 more that includes abs, secruity, oil cooler and 10% more torque over a non-powerpak model.

In 2012, I believe the oil cooler is standard on any 103. I may be wrong.

#6 ·
..........In 2012, I believe the oil cooler is standard on any 103. I may be wrong.
I believe all the 103's have the cooler except the Dyna models. But I may be wrong also. :dunno

#4 ·
My 2003 Buell XB9S had both. The cooling fan was two-stage (low/high) on the rear cylinder only and was thermostatically controlled. It rarely came on while riding but would almost always come on after shutting down the engine. Another cool idea by Erik Buell. :)

Man, I'd definitely go with an oil cooler if you don't have one already.

#5 ·
no my bike came with the 96. i had a SE 103 and 255 cams done and a SERT put on in feb.

#9 ·
I have a Lenale fan and it works well in stopped type traffic. easy install not too expensive, just have to relocate the horn. I moved mine inside left side cover.

#27 ·
Am I naive or too trusting, but why would a near stock bike under typical riding conditionis/style need a rear jug rebuild wilthout adding a fan or oil cooler?

Said in other words, how common is the need for a rebuild?

#13 ·
I have seen an oil cooler with a fan, was like 400 bucks. I don't remember who makes it or where I saw it. But, I would bet I saw it on sleeze-bay. It looked pretty cool too.

#18 ·
I have a 2010 Ultra and last spring I put a HD oil cooler on it because the summer before I was seeing oil temps pushing up towards 290. After installing the cooler I also pulled off the lowers and I never saw the oil temp go above 242 and that was on a 400 mile ride in temps over 110.

#19 ·
thanks for all the replys,looks like im going with a cooler. probably the HD one. utra cool redesigned theirs added more rows and now has twin fans and raised $$ to $500 to much ching for me now.

#21 ·
I had the 98cu and had a 103cu kit put on,cams,exhaust,ect and had the oil cooler put on too. Less heat now than with the 98cu.

#23 ·
ordered the HD oil cooler yesterday. if it doesnt get the job done this summer i may match it up with the lenale fan then.

#32 ·
I have a 2007 Electra Classic. It ran super hot, I put on XIEDs, that was a big help, then I put on a Jagg 10 row oil cooler with fan assist and the thermostatically controlled filter adapter. My bike runs way cooler, way quieter and my oil gauge pressures are up across the range, especially when stuck in traffic on hot days at idle. The oil cooler with fan has got to help the motor live longer, it's running cooler and quieter, all good things for a motor. And yes they aren't cheap, but they are way cheaper than a new engine or rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.