Attention M8 Owners!! Check this out!! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 271Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs down Attention M8 Owners!! Check this out!!

I came across this thread on another Forum while doing some research on possibly changing to a different Transmission Fluid in my new '17 Road King. Very disturbing info here. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but after reading the thread, I went out and checked my Transmission Fluid level and there was none on my dipstick!! I just got back from riding a little over a 1000 miles over the last few days in Northern California, pulled into the garage with the Odometer reading 4979 miles and figured that I would change out all the fluids in all 3 holes this week before I ride that bike again. Like I was saying, I was thinking about going with a different Trans Fluid other than the Formula+ that the dealer had put in at the 1000 service when they did all 3 fluids. Apparently, this is a thing! The Fluid from the Transmission is transferring over into the Primary!? I admit that I have not drained and measured both fluid levels yet because I came across this last night just before I went to bed and I'm headed to work right now, but you can bet I will be measuring the amount of oil in each box when I get home tonight and will report what I find. Anyhow guys, read this thread and check your fluids!! I'm interested to hear what anyone else has to say about what they find..........

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...ion-fluid.html

"Life long student at the School of Hard Knocks!"

2014 Street Glide Special
2003 Road King 100 Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:55 AM

Don't much like the sound of this.
ARIZONA MISFIT likes this.
post #3 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, so this is what I found when I drain both, the Transmission Fluid and the Primary Fluid this evening.......

Transmission- 18 Oz where there should be 28 Oz.
Primary- 48 Oz where there should be 30 Oz.

Now, if you do a little math, I had a total of 66 Oz. of fluid where there should be only 58 Oz., so somewhere along the line, I picked up an extra 8 Oz. So, I seem to be experiencing this little oil transfer phenomenon that these guys on the other forum are talking about. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, (on the '03 RK, not the '17), and see if I can't make a documented report of this finding so I have something on record with MoCo. I also need to pick up 2 Qt's of either Formula+ or SE Syn 3 20W-50 to fill the holes with THEIR OIL! I don't want anyone coming back at me with any crap about not using the correct fluid and then telling me that that's what caused this whole thing. I will report back on how that whole experience goes, but I don't have high hopes.

I really don't like this and I know that there was the possibility of something like this, or worse, happening to my bike because it is a brand new motor/tranny model, and that I took a chance at being a guinea pig, but this does blow. Checking the Tranny Fluid level and topping it off is the easy part. I then need an easy way to get the extra fluid out on the Primary Case on a regular basis too.

Has anyone else noticed this little issue on their M8, or am I just the chosen child here on this site?

post #4 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 PM

Garage
Looks like your the chosen one!! Interesting...haven't heard about this until now. I was looking at a M8 but stopped short for that simple reason. I won't buy a new design until it's proven and all the bugs are worked out.

Thanks for posting the follow up and would appreciate you keeping us posted on this. I do have friends that have the new M8 Road King and I let them know about this problem.

2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
2007 Softail Standard
USAF Veteran
Central Texas PGR
post #5 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJockey View Post

I really don't like this and I know that there was the possibility of something like this, or worse, happening to my bike because it is a brand new motor/tranny model, and that I took a chance at being a guinea pig, but this does blow. Checking the Tranny Fluid level and topping it off is the easy part. I then need an easy way to get the extra fluid out on the Primary Case on a regular basis too.
You can use a turkey baster or a syringe

post #6 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
[quote=candyman1340;6271737]You can use a turkey baster or a syringe

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. A syringe with little clear tubing on it. It's just taking the Clutch Cover off/on all the time is gonna cost me a few Cover Seals. Guess I'll find out how many times I can re-use those Seals before they start to weep, huh?

post #7 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Garage
I have been following the trans/primary oil transfer thread on the other site. For $8 I would go to Advance Auto and get some oil dye. That should help prove one oil is transferring. I feel your (insert noun of choice).
JTJ likes this.

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380
post #8 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Mississippi Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJockey View Post
It's just taking the Clutch Cover off/on all the time is gonna cost me a few Cover Seals. Guess I'll find out how many times I can re-use those Seals before they start to weep, huh?
I've had several Harleys over the years and do the regular service on them in my garage. I have NEVER had to replace that seal because of a leak. I just reuse them waiting for a leak that has never come.
67Duce, singlebeam and LJ SG like this.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #9 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 05:14 PM

It's a 17 m8 call the dealer to come get It! It's under warranty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
67Duce and singlebeam like this.

:biking:
post #10 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, todays update......

Ironically, the service manager from my dealership called today, but only to tell me about Oil Cooler Hose Clamp Recall. (more on that in a second) While I had him on the phone, I started to explain the Transmission Fluid issue and told him that I was going to stop by today and talk to him about it. By the time I got there, he had talked about it to the Tech that built my Stage IV and the Tech said that there is a seal between the Transmission and the Primary that needs to be changed out and that's all it needs. I've heard of this issue on earlier models, but I don't know about the M8. The other Forum is talking about the Clutch Push Rod being the issue, so I'm not sure what the real fix is. The point is, it's scheduled for the repair and more importantly, documented, like I wanted. The Service Manager told me to go home and refill both cases that I had drained and measured the fluid from, and ride it until my appointment next week. Of course, I need to keep an eye on th levels, but they just want to double verify what I, and he, believe has happened already. So, that's what I'm gonna do.

Now, for the Hose Clamp issue...... Apparently, it's just that some guy/girl on the assembly line didn't crimp the clamp on the hose quite tight enough for a while and they just look at them to make sure they're crimped tight. If not, they just crimp it tighter while it's still on the bike. They said they've looked at about 50 so far with no bad ones found yet.

So, still no one else experiencing this issue yet? Weird.......
Jimmers likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode