Can't find Neutral on new bike. - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Wayward Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
Best for your safety to keep bike in gear and watch your mirrors for vehicles approaching from behind. It could save your life.
⬆️ This. x1000 this. ⬆️

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW
1L/TWF
🖕♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️🖕
🇺🇸 R.E.D.

People are why I love Dogs and my Harley.
💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
09-08-17
🐾No longer by my side. Forever in my heart.🐾
🖤Bear, Brute, Jessie James, Billy the Kid, Aiyana🖤
ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee
No such thing as just a Dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 PM

Garage
Along with the clutch adjustment mentioned above, if the primary fluid is over filled, it will cause it to be difficult to find neutral.

Also, you may be already doing it, but worthwhile to mention, shift into first, and release the clutch to fully engage before coming to a stop.

Motorcycle transmissions are non synchro transmissions, the above will help to mesh the gears. This idiosyncrasy is more pronounced on Harley transmissions as they are wide ratio vs Jap bikes which are close ratio.
1/2 Ton and BigDoo like this.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Poser Member # 99

If he keeps playing with it at stop Lights neutral will be the least of his problem . Having some to empty his hospital pee pan will Be more important after some one runs over has azz at a stop Light playing with it to try to get it in too Neutral . Who Does That
BigDoo likes this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:04 AM

i have a 2018 fat boy and a 2019 road king , an in the beginning they can be hard to find but after ridding it will get easier
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
Thats what she said...

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM

I did find that pulling the clutch lever all the way to the handlebars helped on my Road King when I first got it.
That was something I did not have to do on my Goldwing.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:09 AM

I put mine in neutral at long stop lights. But Im talking about my truck. Automatics tend to build heat when idling in gear for long periods.
Smoketown$1 likes this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big [email protected] View Post
If he keeps playing with it at stop Lights neutral will be the least of his problem . Having some to empty his hospital pee pan will Be more important after some one runs over has azz at a stop Light playing with it to try to get it in too Neutral . Who Does That [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/Harley-DavidsonForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG]
To clarify, I always watch and wait for at least the 1st car to come to a stop behind me before I I do anything else. It's been a habit of mine for years when I drive to watch the mirror and roll forward until the in coming car comes to a stop. I've been rear ended at a light before, not fun, and am very cautious about it on the bike. I'm specifically referring to when I'm stuck sitting at a light in line for awhile.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Poser Member # 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyE View Post
To clarify, I always watch and wait for at least the 1st car to come to a stop behind me before I I do anything else. It's been a habit of mine for years when I drive to watch the mirror and roll forward until the in coming car comes to a stop. I've been rear ended at a light before, not fun, and am very cautious about it on the bike. I'm specifically referring to when I'm stuck sitting at a light in line for awhile.
Most people Leave there bike in gear at lights in case they have to Take off if the Car behind them gets hit or you see the car coming up behind you not Slowing down . I would take it back to the dealer and Have them Look at it Any Dealer can do Warranty work and Adjust the clutch for you. Maybe the clutch or transmission is low on Fluids have you checked any thing out . ????????. Just because it was supposed to be serviced at the dealer don't mean it was done or Done right these young kids don't care . They were in the middle of a text when they were supposed to do some thing So It should be all right . Oh Hell He's got a warranty If it aint .
SoftailBilly and Smoketown$1 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode