Harley Davidson Forums banner

Can't find Neutral on new bike.

12K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Rustyg 
#1 ·
Hello, picked up a new 19 sport glide. The original dealer is not an option as they are out of state and also have given me nothing but problems from giving me wrong keys, parts and not even bothering to setup the security system but that's for another topic. It's my first harley and it has been next to impossible to find neutral. I put about 50 miles on it and never could get to neutral at a stop or from 1st gear. Even tested in an empty parking lot and could never get it. The only time I could get it was coming to a stop from 2nd. Any idea why?

#10 ·
May try lighter oil Run 10-40 Castrol Syn Motorcycle oil safe for cloches .. Very little 1st. gear crunch. Shifts smooth hot or cold

Reactions: Kainam
#19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't gotten around to getting it to a dealer yet but so far I've put almost 200 miles on it. I probably have a 60% success rate at finding neutral at a stop now with a few tries, and a 30% success rate on first attempts. Sometimes its just not there and I'm looking like an idiot at stop lights clicking up and down for 2min. Other than that it seems to run smooth.

#20 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't gotten around to getting it to a dealer yet but so far I've put almost 200 miles on it. I probably have a 60% success rate at finding neutral at a stop now with a few tries, and a 30% success rate on first attempts. Sometimes its just not there and I'm looking like an idiot at stop lights clicking up and down for 2min. Other than that it seems to run smooth.
Best for your safety to keep bike in gear and watch your mirrors for vehicles approaching from behind. It could save your life.

#22 ·
Along with the clutch adjustment mentioned above, if the primary fluid is over filled, it will cause it to be difficult to find neutral.

Also, you may be already doing it, but worthwhile to mention, shift into first, and release the clutch to fully engage before coming to a stop.

Motorcycle transmissions are non synchro transmissions, the above will help to mesh the gears. This idiosyncrasy is more pronounced on Harley transmissions as they are wide ratio vs Jap bikes which are close ratio.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton and BigDoo
#23 ·
If he keeps playing with it at stop Lights neutral will be the least of his problem . Having some to empty his hospital pee pan will Be more important after some one runs over has azz at a stop Light playing with it to try to get it in too Neutral . Who Does That :eek-surprise

#28 ·
If he keeps playing with it at stop Lights neutral will be the least of his problem . Having some to empty his hospital pee pan will Be more important after some one runs over has azz at a stop Light playing with it to try to get it in too Neutral . Who Does That /forums/images/Harley-DavidsonForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
To clarify, I always watch and wait for at least the 1st car to come to a stop behind me before I I do anything else. It's been a habit of mine for years when I drive to watch the mirror and roll forward until the in coming car comes to a stop. I've been rear ended at a light before, not fun, and am very cautious about it on the bike. I'm specifically referring to when I'm stuck sitting at a light in line for awhile.

#27 ·
I put mine in neutral at long stop lights. But Im talking about my truck. Automatics tend to build heat when idling in gear for long periods.

Reactions: Smoketown$1
#30 ·
I just bought a 2021 Sport Glide and also have difficulty finding neutral. it usually takes 3-4 attempts from 1st gear. Haven’t tested whether it is easier if engine is on or off (in accessory mode). Just from memory, it ‘seems’ like it is easier when in accessory mode versus when engine is running. Although I have not formally tested this theory. I have about 900 miles on it.

#31 ·
drbethdavis:
Take it back to the dealer. It's still under warranty. Should not be a problem. Could be just a clutch adjustment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.