First Ride, Pics, Cold, Not Glamorous, A Close Call, Nice... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
On a ride

First Ride, Pics, Cold, Not Glamorous, A Close Call, Nice...

With the recent icy weather here, only able to bring the VRSCDX home in the truck, but not even take it for a first-time spin!... until this morning with the outdoor thermometer noting it was a balmy 26f. Perfect! The driveway and county road mud/ice will be cold, crusty, and hard. The temps are rising... will have 45 minutes or so before needing to return and risk facing thawing slippery conditions. :

This bike did not like the rutted and frozen long driveway. The front wheel and bars were thrown easily left and right. Not sure why. Had to hold on tight. It was concentration city getting the bike to the county road below. Much smoother here. Can tell things are frosty in the air, with the engine, and on the road...

The Close Call
About five minutes after the pic above I reached pavement on a county chip/seal road and went over a rise in the road. On the other side was a 30-40ft. stretch of glare ice from snow melt the previous day :. It crossed the sloped road from R to L. It wasn't there previous mornings. The risks of assumption! Cars were crowding me from behind. There was no time to stop or pull to the side. The ice was right there. There was no time to soil my trousers. I coasted through at 35mph. The rear wheel skipped out to the left 3-4 inches halfway across : then re-enaged without tossing me. I tasted my heart in the back of my throat. The cars behind had a show to watch and a story to tell at work... "Should have seen the fool I was following on the way in today...". I made it through and pulled over to the side to see if indeed I did soil my trousers.

With my heart still at a slightly accelerated pace I paused above the nearby Platte Canyon. We're heading down there. It is a bland looking and cold day...

At the entrance to the canyon I took a pic for here I was going to do something foolish again, spur of the moment... ride through the canyon with one hand on the throttle and hold the digital camera in movie mode with my left hand while riding through the curves, not shifting, keeping the camera hand steady, keeping the viewfinder pointed at the road, not crashing, etc. and etc. Then I asked myself how much I valued possessing a Darwin Award and put the cam back in the pocket...

So on the other side of the canyon I paused. Ridgelines to Mt. Logan off to the left. Temps are on the plus side of 30f. Need to head back to the garage before the mud appears, like a vampire to a coffin before sunrise. Bad analogy...

Told you this was not a glamor filled ride....

And with the driveway getting a little soupy in places, paused about halfway...

Very short and quick impressions...

- The twist of the throttle brought back immediately the great memories of thrust the VRSC can deliver.

- Love the ergos. Many do not, but the lean forward and foot forward position is great. So different. Enjoy leaning forward into the wind.

- From the saddle can't even tell there is a meaty 240 rear. Previously I could take or leave a fat rear. Now I'm kinda likin' it.

- Stock exhaust note is kinda wimpy at idle, but deliciously low and mean on acceleration. The decel note is outstanding.

- Fit and finish - Superb.

- Suspension. Short travel with the VRSC but I already knew this.

- Nice having the larger fuel tank.

- This thing will be a pain in the $%& to keep clean. On the plus side... will burn many calories keeping it so. Then again, the flat denim look almost is meant to mean the appearance takes a back seat to performance.

Now to go check those trousers again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 AM
STAND AND FIGHT!

Would have been a denuine bitch to have to report in,
"First ride today, crash and burn."

I have been suspicious that the black denim finish would show
any waxy or oily contamination really badly, like even a fingerprint.

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:10 AM

Pretty hardcore conditions for a new bike first ride,you must have it bad.
Sweet bike,glad you made it.Sometimes it really is an adventure.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:47 AM

Love the bike man. I wouldn't have been able to wait either.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:15 AM

Awesome write up Steve!!!! Again, congrats on the bike!!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
"Davidson Rider"

your second pic would be post card quality if that dam green road marker was not there !
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM

You are scaring me!

Steve I am sorry the first ride was so hard on your heart! You can always change your pants. I am sure the DX will make it up to you when conditions improve. 26 degrees, do you use heated gear? The black DX looks awesome against the white landscape. You have a awesome bike, sure wish I had one. You mentioned the exhaust, do you think you might want a change? If so what do you like?

I am just sitting and waiting for the call!
Steve
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I break stuff.

I love the view from the driveway!

Loose nut at throttle.

President, Dirty Old Ladies Club

MOO!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM

The bike looks great. Now, park it until it's safer. I want to watch more sfarson videos in the future.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
On a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbag View Post
Steve I am sorry the first ride was so hard on your heart! You can always change your pants. I am sure the DX will make it up to you when conditions improve. 26 degrees, do you use heated gear? The black DX looks awesome against the white landscape. You have a awesome bike, sure wish I had one. You mentioned the exhaust, do you think you might want a change? If so what do you like?

I am just sitting and waiting for the call!
Steve
Thanks everyone. Steve... I do use heated gear but at this time have the DX only wired for the tender. Was OK on this ride. Fingertips are my weakness. After hearing good things about snowmobile gloves, bought some once. Have to concur... leather, plush filling, waterproof, big gauntlets -- great gloves for a cold motorcycle ride.

I really want to give the stock H-D exhaust a chance. I know I'm in the minority on this, but after years of jumping immediately to slip-on then full exhaust systems in the after market, I'm going to give the stockers more than a brief flirtation. Gonna have some dates for awhile. No decision will be made until the break-in service at 1000 miles. Will know if I'll propose marriage by then or not. .

After surveying the DX exhaust landscape briefly, new slip-ons from SuperTrapp are holding my interest. They aren't available yet, but coming soon. They have an appearance approaching the fine look of the stock cans, and you have a choice of flat black or silver finish. Need to hear them. But at this time, I'm not too displeased with the music from the first ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode