Rear Wheel Bearing Blowout. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear Wheel Bearing Blowout.

Just had my rear wheel bearing blow out on my 2012 Dyna Wide Glide with 28K. Anyone else experience similar?

Thanks!

2015 FLHTK

"What, me worry?" -Alfred E. Neuman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Your lucky you got 28 k and you did not get hurt...
I had two wheel bearing failures on my rocker. first one at 6k, fixed under so called warranty. Next 7 k later at 65 mph, almost crashed, did 1200 bucks damage plus the bearing...They tried to stiff me on the 1200 bucks but I Professionally reminded them of THEIR responsibility...They fixed it but were mad at me...Really, no more money your way...ever...LOL.
Anyway, the hd mechanic told me right in front of the service mgr. that the baerings after 08 are crap...he showed me the NEW one he was putting in my bike. He says, look at this, it has rust on it already...it will fail. Then he installed it...Really...He told me also they had opened up a couple new ones and they have almost NO GREASE in them...
I had both sets ripped out immediately and replaced with Timken or All Balls...Never HD bearings again...Do a search on this site and a couple others and you will see this is a serious problem after 08...
Love my bike, but would never ride on their wheel bearings ever. Nice thing is a whole set of QUALITY bearings cost about 30 bucks...Very cheap life insurance...
Ride safe.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info. The rear wheel was shaking so much that it broke the belt guard and really scratched the hell out of sprocket. I did get the extended warranty so I am hoping that all is covered.

2015 FLHTK

"What, me worry?" -Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla6 View Post
Your lucky you got 28 k and you did not get hurt...
I had two wheel bearing failures on my rocker. first one at 6k, fixed under so called warranty. Next 7 k later at 65 mph, almost crashed, did 1200 bucks damage plus the bearing...They tried to stiff me on the 1200 bucks but I Professionally reminded them of THEIR responsibility...They fixed it but were mad at me...Really, no more money your way...ever...LOL.
Anyway, the hd mechanic told me right in front of the service mgr. that the baerings after 08 are crap...he showed me the NEW one he was putting in my bike. He says, look at this, it has rust on it already...it will fail. Then he installed it...Really...He told me also they had opened up a couple new ones and they have almost NO GREASE in them...
I had both sets ripped out immediately and replaced with Timken or All Balls...Never HD bearings again...Do a search on this site and a couple others and you will see this is a serious problem after 08...
Love my bike, but would never ride on their wheel bearings ever. Nice thing is a whole set of QUALITY bearings cost about 30 bucks...Very cheap life insurance...
Ride safe.
Shouldn't Safety Issues threads become sticky? Everybody should know about this. Not the first time I read this kind of comment about those cheap bearings. I will add this note to my to do list. Many many thanks!!!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Poser Member # 99

I hope you realized this is a forum not a Harley service site . or a Factory recall or service site . Were here to ask question's and get advice on how to Fix things . Our advice is great, good and some times off the tracks . It just our Past experience's and how we do mechanical repairs. you can use our advice or not but we are not here to police and issue recalls or things like that

This is solely my opinion and my thoughts it don't represent the Forums guidelines or solutions

Big [email protected]
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:57 AM
On Probation

Damn.......I have over 50,000 miles on my original wheel bearings front and rear 2010 Ultra Limited.
Asked my service guy last time I got tires and he said he hasn't seen a lot of bearing failure. He says check when getting new tires and if good ride that mo fo.

Confuse a liberal.....Use facts and logic.
Jackpot Stainless Header
Rinehart 4" Muffs

I'll try to be nicer........If you try to be smarter.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Mississippi Cajun

I am at the 50K mark on my Ultra with factory issue bearings. It is my intention to run the bike until the tires are ready to retire (23K on them right now) and then replace them, bearings (with Timkens), and brakes which I changed last time I put tires on the bike. I figure with the stories about bearing failures I have already heard, changing them and putting in a better class bearing would be a good move at a good time.
JTJ and 1/2 Ton like this.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Wayward Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_canada View Post
Shouldn't Safety Issues threads become sticky? Everybody should know about this.
We do try to keep track of recalls as they are issued. But if not an Official MoCo recall.....

Not trying to belittle the safety issue. Just say`in......

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW
1L/TWF
♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️
🇺🇸 R.E.D.

People are why I love Dogs and my Harley.
💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
09-08-17
🐾No longer by my side. Forever in my heart.🐾
🖤Bear, Brute, Jessie James, Billy the Kid, Aiyana🖤
ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee
No such thing as just a Dog.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:54 AM

buy a bearing puller on ebay and buy some good bearings - simple and fairly easy fix

07 fxdb
48h cam
headwork
akropovic exhaust
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Poser Member # 99

ya set of Bearing drivers too @ eBay or Harbor freight to install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode